decreasing performance?

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 6:41:15 PM

Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
face I tell ya!

Right - When I first installed WoW it ran at 20-30 fps, no delay when
entering IF area - even on a Sat night, flying the griffin was a lesson in
watching a lovely relaxing flight at 20-30 fps.

Skip 4 months on

Entering IF area now entails a 30 second delay while PC thrashes the drive.
Flying the griffin is a slideshow, frame rate in game is 20-30fps *after* it
has finished thrashing the drive everytime you enter a loading boundary.
Fighting mobs can be horrible as it thrashes the drive while sounds load
etc.

Now - what I can't understand is the fact that the world file isn't
fragmented.

Did one of the patches do some wierd stuff with the way the game loads now?
Also it takes up 500MB of my available memory - before I'm sure it was only
about 250MB. The only changes that have been made to my PC are the patches
to Wow.

Anyone experience the same?

I have Athlon 3200+ Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 1GB pc2700.

More about : decreasing performance

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 6:41:16 PM

>Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
>face I tell ya!

Urban myth 3243: defragging the your HD makes your PC run faster.
Actually in most cases it makes bugger all difference. On ancient
equipment it could but with modern HD its largely irrelevant.

You've checked there are no nasty background program hogging your
system resources?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 6:41:16 PM

>>>Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
>>>face I tell ya!

>> Urban myth 3243: defragging the your HD makes your PC run faster.
>> Actually in most cases it makes bugger all difference. On ancient
>> equipment it could but with modern HD its largely irrelevant.

>Urban myth? Care to ellaborate?
>If your files are fragmented.. say one file is fragmented into 5
>sectors. In stead of 1 straight read the HD needs to look for all of
>these fragments, position heads, read, on to next. Now ok hd's are
>pretty fast nowadays and the caching of data becomes better, but to say
>that a fragmentated file system doesn't affect your performance.....

Because modern HD is so fast your are only talking mere fractions of a
second time difference. The end user won't notice any performance
increase after defragging.

If the HD getting thrashed it won't be because of defragged files but
over zealous virus software, insufficient buffering, bad programming,
lack of memory (meaning the program is access the same thing over and
over again) etc.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 6:41:16 PM

I have experienced the same problems. Brand new P4 3 months ago, smooth as
silk. Over the last few weeks I have fallen into the pit by the AH more
times than I can remember. I wont speculate except to say "something wrong"
and its not my PC. All of my guildies have experienced the same recent lag
in IF.

Kav wrote:
> Did one of the patches do some wierd stuff with the way the game loads now?
> Also it takes up 500MB of my available memory - before I'm sure it was only
> about 250MB. The only changes that have been made to my PC are the patches
> to Wow.
>
> Anyone experience the same?
>
> I have Athlon 3200+ Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 1GB pc2700.

With every major patch I've seen performance degrade a little. I used
to be able to fly in/out of IronForge with NO lag or delay, but ever
since 1.4.0 I ALWAYS lag at least a little bit, and if I happen to load
the game when my character's already in IronForge, it now takes at
least a minute to load all the textures before I'm able to move without
falling into the pit. This is new behavior on my system which is
unchanged since I started playing WoW, on a VERY clean Windows install
that only has WoW and Morrowind installed on it- no other applications-
and only essential drivers/services enabled.

After 1.5.0 my framerate took a slight dive too. Before then I got a
solid 30 FPS in almost all situations, but now I waver between 20-30
fps pretty often and during PvP when mages are throwing down tons of
spells the game becomes almost unplayable sometimes due to lack of
responsiveness.

Also, regarding defragmentation, I'll just note that on Windows NTFS
drives are supposedly less likely to be negatively affected by
fragmentation than FAT32 drives, and slower drives are naturally more
affected than fast ones. My notebook's drive is pretty slow, for
example. Also, the most important file to keep defragmented is your
pagefile. If you have a fair amount of free contiguous space on your
drive, I think you can establish an unfragmented pagefile by setting
its minimum and maximum size to the same value in System Properties >
Advanced > Performance > Advanced > Change (Virtual Memory) > Custom
Size.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 8:10:39 PM

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:52:58 -0400, feides said:

> I have experienced the same problems. Brand new P4 3 months ago, smooth as
> silk. Over the last few weeks I have fallen into the pit by the AH more
> times than I can remember. I wont speculate except to say "something wrong"
> and its not my PC. All of my guildies have experienced the same recent lag
> in IF.
>
>> Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
>> face I tell ya!
>>
>> Right - When I first installed WoW it ran at 20-30 fps, no delay when
>> entering IF area - even on a Sat night, flying the griffin was a lesson in
>> watching a lovely relaxing flight at 20-30 fps.
>>
>> Skip 4 months on
>>
>> Entering IF area now entails a 30 second delay while PC thrashes the
>> drive. Flying the griffin is a slideshow, frame rate in game is 20-30fps
>> *after* it has finished thrashing the drive everytime you enter a loading
>> boundary. Fighting mobs can be horrible as it thrashes the drive while
>> sounds load etc.
>>
>> Now - what I can't understand is the fact that the world file isn't
>> fragmented.
>>
>> Did one of the patches do some wierd stuff with the way the game loads
>> now? Also it takes up 500MB of my available memory - before I'm sure it
>> was only about 250MB. The only changes that have been made to my PC are
>> the patches to Wow.
>>
>> Anyone experience the same?
>>
>> I have Athlon 3200+ Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 1GB pc2700.

Well as Alex says maybe a re-install *is* in order.. hmm can't do that
until my university work for this year is finished, can't afford the risk
of something horrible happening :)

My theory is that WoW now requires more memory than initially, and Windows
is now pissing about with the swap file to handle its end of the
relationship during WoW playing.

I've tried switching off AV (AVG), not thought about the built in firewall,
as I've got a hardware one I suppose it wont hurt to switch it off.

Will try that and see.
July 8, 2005 8:19:05 PM

"Kav" <bo@gya.net> wrote in message
> Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
> face I tell ya!
>
> Right - When I first installed WoW it ran at 20-30 fps, no delay when
> entering IF area - even on a Sat night, flying the griffin was a lesson in
> watching a lovely relaxing flight at 20-30 fps.
>
> Skip 4 months on
>
> Entering IF area now entails a 30 second delay while PC thrashes the
> drive. Flying the griffin is a slideshow, frame rate in game is 20-30fps
> *after* it has finished thrashing the drive everytime you enter a loading
> boundary. Fighting mobs can be horrible as it thrashes the drive while
> sounds load etc.
>
> Now - what I can't understand is the fact that the world file isn't
> fragmented.
>
> Did one of the patches do some wierd stuff with the way the game loads
> now? Also it takes up 500MB of my available memory - before I'm sure it
> was only about 250MB. The only changes that have been made to my PC are
> the patches to Wow.
>
> Anyone experience the same?
>
> I have Athlon 3200+ Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 1GB pc2700.

Sounds a lot like your AV software is scanning everything and holding up the
show. Worth trying wow with it disabled. If that works, just exclude the wow
folder.

Software firewall's can also exhibit this behaviour, but sadly, I'd not
recommend disabling it while playing...but you could try just to see if it's
being bad.

Otherwise, perhaps it's reinstall time ;-)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 9:22:39 PM

BombayMix wrote:
>>Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
>>face I tell ya!
>

> Urban myth 3243: defragging the your HD makes your PC run faster.
> Actually in most cases it makes bugger all difference. On ancient
> equipment it could but with modern HD its largely irrelevant.

Urban myth? Care to ellaborate?
If your files are fragmented.. say one file is fragmented into 5
sectors. In stead of 1 straight read the HD needs to look for all of
these fragments, position heads, read, on to next. Now ok hd's are
pretty fast nowadays and the caching of data becomes better, but to say
that a fragmentated file system doesn't affect your performance.....

> You've checked there are no nasty background program hogging your
> system resources?

Aah just set the wow.exe process priority to "realtime" :p
( Program manager )
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 9:22:40 PM

Azeus wrote:
> BombayMix wrote:
> > > Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
> > > face I tell ya!

> > Urban myth 3243: defragging the your HD makes your PC run faster.
> > Actually in most cases it makes bugger all difference. On ancient
> > equipment it could but with modern HD its largely irrelevant.

> Urban myth? Care to ellaborate?

It's an "urban myth" because the amount of performance you can
reasonably expect to regain is scarcely 3%, if that.

Several years ago seek times and spin rates were slower, and
on-board cache was all but non-existent, and those numbers magnified
the costs. In addition drive sizes were smaller so there was a
greater tendency to do deletions that would "clean up" drive space
and leave a swiss cheese of little gaps for new files to get
fragmented into. By contrast if you've got a larger space and
less worry about headroom, you copy things into place and then
leave them there. So things get less fragmented these days,
and the overhead incurred by fragmentation that does occur is
modest.

> If your files are fragmented.. say one file is fragmented into 5
> sectors. In stead of 1 straight read the HD needs to look for all of
> these fragments, position heads, read, on to next. Now ok hd's are
> pretty fast nowadays and the caching of data becomes better, but to say
> that a fragmentated file system doesn't affect your performance.....

Experiments in the psychology of perception suggest that with
many types of stimuli there's a minimum threshold of change
that will be perceived as a noticeable difference. For audio
effects and for measurement of short intervals of time that
things take to happen that threshold is around 5-7%.

Ergo defragging your hard disk may well improve your performance,
but chances are better than average that the improvement will
be imperceptible, and any change you do notice will be more
a matter of "placebo effect" wishful thinking.

> > You've checked there are no nasty background program hogging your
> > system resources?

> Aah just set the wow.exe process priority to "realtime" :p
> ( Program manager )

The implication about nasty background programs is a very
intelligent one - for a PC that's operating properly it shouldn't
be necessary to do anything to process priorities to make WoW
work, whereas spyware can bring even the most over-powered
system to its knees. Original poster, get thee to a spyware
sweeper site.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

On 8 Jul 2005 07:55:20 -0700, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
wrote:

>You've checked there are no nasty background program hogging your
>system resources?

You can do a full system test at PC Pitstop. They have benchmarks and
it will let you know if your system is running slower than other
systems with the same setup

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

You should check out this site to see how many useless programs are
running in the background.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_...

You don't have to worry about viruses when playing WoW so you can also
disable all your anti-virus software. But be sure to reactivate it
before doing anything else online.

In the old days people used a special 3 1/2" boot disk for playing
games, which only had what was needed to get the system up and
running.

It's a bit more difficult to do today, but using the Task List delete
function can help speed up a system.

Everyone has lag in IF. Obviously it taxes your video card a lot more
than other places and I'm sure that some of the problem is server side
as well.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 10:09:50 PM

I've had similar problems of late.

My system is a P4-HT 3.2 GHz, 2 Gb dual-channel DDR400 RAM, Radeon 9800 XT
256 Mb, SATA Raid 0 with 2x 250 Gb 7200 RPM hard drives + extra 400 Gb 7200
rpm drive.

If I log in and I'm in IF, it takes a good 30-60 seconds before I am
functional. When I fly certain gryph routes it will take a pause - I notice
this particularly when I fly from Aerie Peak to Light's Hope chapel - when I
fly over the lake it pauses for a good 5-10 seconds.

It is a tad annoying, but not catastrophic.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 8, 2005 11:47:51 PM

"feides" <nothing@nothing.com> wrote in message
news:D am7gs$2g7$1@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...
>I have experienced the same problems. Brand new P4 3 months ago, smooth as
>silk. Over the last few weeks I have fallen into the pit by the AH more times
>than I can remember. I wont speculate except to say "something wrong" and its
>not my PC. All of my guildies have experienced the same recent lag in IF.

The primary cause of this is simple- at any given time 3-4 months ago,
there were probably a few thousand players on the server. At any given
time now, and especially during primetime, there are probably *tens*
of thousands of players active on your server. And IF and the AH is
the worst. That is why things are loading so slowly in many places
and situations, today- overpopulation.
-Marshall
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 9, 2005 2:05:32 AM

Mike in Mystic ytrede sig i
<Ojzze.2203$0w2.61@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com> med dette:

>I've had similar problems of late.
>
>My system is a P4-HT 3.2 GHz, 2 Gb dual-channel DDR400 RAM, Radeon 9800 XT
>256 Mb, SATA Raid 0 with 2x 250 Gb 7200 RPM hard drives + extra 400 Gb 7200
>rpm drive.
>
>If I log in and I'm in IF, it takes a good 30-60 seconds before I am
>functional. When I fly certain gryph routes it will take a pause - I notice
>this particularly when I fly from Aerie Peak to Light's Hope chapel - when I
>fly over the lake it pauses for a good 5-10 seconds.
>
>It is a tad annoying, but not catastrophic.

Since you have 2GB RAM, you should get a better preformance if you
disable the swap file.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

The clue is in the original post. It started off with smooth gameplay
and after 4 months there's hideous disc accesses which lock the game up
for 30 seconds. During those 4 months all the quests you've done have
been tracked, mods like gatherer and lootlink have all been tracked,
various activities have likewise been tracked, all in one file. You
know those online profiles where you upload a file and it then shows
all your equipment, your talent spec, skills, etc. That's the file
where all this info is stored and it's grown into a monster.

I'm at work but off the top of my head have a look in the WTF folder,
then subfolder of your account name, then possibly a subfolder of your
character name (though I think it's an account based file), there
should be a file called savedvariables something or other. First of all
take a copy of it just incase you find you lose some tracked data you
took for granted and really want back. Next you can either delete it
(it'll be replaced when you next login) or if you feel adventurous open
it up in a text editor and try deleting some stuff (I've heard of
someone deleting loads of quest info).

--
Rave
a b Ý World of Warcraft

"Kav" <bo@gya.net> wrote in message
> Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
> face I tell ya!
>
> Right - When I first installed WoW it ran at 20-30 fps, no delay when
> entering IF area - even on a Sat night, flying the griffin was a lesson in
> watching a lovely relaxing flight at 20-30 fps.
>
> Skip 4 months on
>
> Entering IF area now entails a 30 second delay while PC thrashes the
> drive. Flying the griffin is a slideshow, frame rate in game is 20-30fps
> *after* it has finished thrashing the drive everytime you enter a loading
> boundary. Fighting mobs can be horrible as it thrashes the drive while
> sounds load etc.
>
> Now - what I can't understand is the fact that the world file isn't
> fragmented.
>
> Did one of the patches do some wierd stuff with the way the game loads
> now? Also it takes up 500MB of my available memory - before I'm sure it
> was only about 250MB. The only changes that have been made to my PC are
> the patches to Wow.
>
> Anyone experience the same?
>
> I have Athlon 3200+ Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 1GB pc2700.

Just some other thoughts that havnt already been covered...
How big is your swap file. Overly large swap files can cause degradation of
system performance.
How much free memory do you have? Maybe you have got too much allocated to
AGP aperture size?
128 meg should be plenty for this.

I wouldnt play around with disabling your firewall. Maybe check the settings
so that its not logging all network trafic or anything silly.

....but it sounds like WoW is runing short of memory. What you describe is
similar to running WoW on 512 megs.

Maybe tou have some system services or other applications chewing up system
memory?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 9, 2005 10:15:44 PM

"Jack Hollis" <xsleeper@aol.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> You don't have to worry about viruses when playing WoW so you can
> also
> disable all your anti-virus software. But be sure to reactivate
> it
> before doing anything else online.

Are you sure about this? When I asked Blizzard Tech (via phone) if I
should leave my Norton Internet Security 2005 up and running while
playing WOW, I was told yes, and to follow the instructions at the
Blizzard website on how to configure it for WOW.

---Stash

"Political Correctness is just inverted McCarthyism."
-- Dennis Miller

SPAM FILTER:
You'd have to be out of YourMind to send me email.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 10, 2005 1:24:12 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 07:06:44 GMT, Vladesch said:

> "Kav" <bo@gya.net> wrote in message
>> Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
>> face I tell ya!
>>
>> Right - When I first installed WoW it ran at 20-30 fps, no delay when
>> entering IF area - even on a Sat night, flying the griffin was a lesson in
>> watching a lovely relaxing flight at 20-30 fps.
>>
>> Skip 4 months on
>>
>> Entering IF area now entails a 30 second delay while PC thrashes the
>> drive. Flying the griffin is a slideshow, frame rate in game is 20-30fps
>> *after* it has finished thrashing the drive everytime you enter a loading
>> boundary. Fighting mobs can be horrible as it thrashes the drive while
>> sounds load etc.
>>
>> Now - what I can't understand is the fact that the world file isn't
>> fragmented.
>>
>> Did one of the patches do some wierd stuff with the way the game loads
>> now? Also it takes up 500MB of my available memory - before I'm sure it
>> was only about 250MB. The only changes that have been made to my PC are
>> the patches to Wow.
>>
>> Anyone experience the same?
>>
>> I have Athlon 3200+ Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 1GB pc2700.
>>

> Just some other thoughts that havnt already been covered...
> How big is your swap file. Overly large swap files can cause degradation of
> system performance.
> How much free memory do you have? Maybe you have got too much allocated to
> AGP aperture size?
> 128 meg should be plenty for this.
>
> I wouldnt play around with disabling your firewall. Maybe check the settings
> so that its not logging all network trafic or anything silly.
>
> ...but it sounds like WoW is runing short of memory. What you describe is
> similar to running WoW on 512 megs.
>
> Maybe tou have some system services or other applications chewing up system
> memory?

Good points thanks, I've messed about with the swap file size but it's not
made any difference so have set it back to "let windows manage".

I've got rid of the firewall as I realised it wasn't logging anything
anymore and hadn't logged anything for 5 months! A quick check of my router
demonstrated that it does seem to be handling everything thrown at it.

I stop the System protection level part of anti virus while I'm playing
WoW.

Ta,
Rich.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 12, 2005 1:45:20 AM

ASKF schreef:
<snip>
> <http://dhost.info/kyeu/mirror/blackviper/WinXP/servicec...;

Thanks! I have bookmarked this site in case I ever upgrade to Windows XP
(now using 98SE, which I hope isn't such a resource hog as XP).

Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
Anonymous

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> ASKF schreef:
> <snip>
>> <http://dhost.info/kyeu/mirror/blackviper/WinXP/servicec...;
>
> Thanks! I have bookmarked this site in case I ever upgrade to Windows XP
> (now using 98SE, which I hope isn't such a resource hog as XP).

Any decent computer built after 2002 shouldn't have a bit of concern
about XP using more system resources than moldy old 98... and the
benefits of XP as a modern gaming OS make 98 seem the outdated,
dustbin OS that it is, once you upgrade. If you're still limping along
with an antique system that has problems running XP, it's high time
to upgrade. If not, there is no reason to wait, unless you're plum broke.
I upgraded from 98 to XP over 3 years ago, and kicked myself for wait-
ing that long, after I'd used XP for a few days.
-Marshall
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 12, 2005 6:26:44 AM

Kav a écrit :
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 07:06:44 GMT, Vladesch said:
>
> > "Kav" <bo@gya.net> wrote in message
> >> Now before anyone says "defrag!" - I have defraged until I'm blue on the
> >> face I tell ya!
> >>
> >> Right - When I first installed WoW it ran at 20-30 fps, no delay when
> >> entering IF area - even on a Sat night, flying the griffin was a lesson in
> >> watching a lovely relaxing flight at 20-30 fps.
> >>
> >> Skip 4 months on
> >>
> >> Entering IF area now entails a 30 second delay while PC thrashes the
> >> drive. Flying the griffin is a slideshow, frame rate in game is 20-30fps
> >> *after* it has finished thrashing the drive everytime you enter a loading
> >> boundary. Fighting mobs can be horrible as it thrashes the drive while
> >> sounds load etc.
> >>
> >> Now - what I can't understand is the fact that the world file isn't
> >> fragmented.
> >>
> >> Did one of the patches do some wierd stuff with the way the game loads
> >> now? Also it takes up 500MB of my available memory - before I'm sure it
> >> was only about 250MB. The only changes that have been made to my PC are
> >> the patches to Wow.
> >>
> >> Anyone experience the same?
> >>
> >> I have Athlon 3200+ Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 1GB pc2700.
> >>

> > Just some other thoughts that havnt already been covered...
> > How big is your swap file. Overly large swap files can cause degradation of
> > system performance.
> > How much free memory do you have? Maybe you have got too much allocated to
> > AGP aperture size?
> > 128 meg should be plenty for this.
> >
> > I wouldnt play around with disabling your firewall. Maybe check the settings
> > so that its not logging all network trafic or anything silly.
> >
> > ...but it sounds like WoW is runing short of memory. What you describe is
> > similar to running WoW on 512 megs.
> >
> > Maybe tou have some system services or other applications chewing up system
> > memory?
>
> Good points thanks, I've messed about with the swap file size but it's not
> made any difference so have set it back to "let windows manage".
>
> I've got rid of the firewall as I realised it wasn't logging anything
> anymore and hadn't logged anything for 5 months! A quick check of my router
> demonstrated that it does seem to be handling everything thrown at it.
>
> I stop the System protection level part of anti virus while I'm playing
> WoW.
>
> Ta,
> Rich.

As Rave suggested, the problem comes probably from the WTF folder. It
IS a memory and performance hog. It stores a lot of useless info on
your hard drive, profile info, button placement, logs, etc.

Make a backup of it, delete it, and restart the game.
July 12, 2005 12:57:16 PM

If not, there is no reason to wait, unless you're plum broke.
> I upgraded from 98 to XP over 3 years ago, and kicked myself for wait-
> ing that long, after I'd used XP for a few days.
> -Marshall

In my best Bill and Ted voice : "Listen to this dude Marshall, he knowww's
what he's talking about!"
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 12, 2005 11:48:47 PM

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 14, 2005 12:30:45 AM

Just to check in the time have you updated your video drivers. Sometimes
they are the issue. Pagefile seems to slows this game down. I have a
Pentium 4 HT 3Ghz and 1 gig memory with no pagefile and game runs smooth at
19-79fps.

!