[CPU] 3570k vs 8350 I need this answered QUICK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinHamm

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Thank you for looking at my post I have a serious question and I need this answered tonight sadly I am sorry for any rush I have put in this I should have been better prepared. I am going to Microcenter tomorrow and I'm making a CPU purchase

I5-3570k or a AMD FX 8350

Now for my serious question, I was sold on the 3570k UNTILL I look at the specs someone PLEASE explain this to me.

Intel Core i5 3570K - 3.4GHz - 1MB L2 - 6MB L3

AMD FX-8350 - 4.0GHz - 8MB L2 - 8MB L3

The specs are right in front of my face, how POSSIBLY can a quad core 3.4 beat a eight core 4.0ghz. I don't understand this someone please explain. Thank you for the quick and hastily response you have no idea how much it means.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Plus, the 3570K is $20 cheaper at Micro Center than the 8350. At that price point, 3570K wins hands down, no question about it - i5 all the way. Also, the Piledriver is not a true 8-core, or at least it doesn't perform like it has 8 distinct cores. It's arranged in 4 modules of 2 cores/module, so the cores in a module share resources - it's sort of like hyperthreading, except I think it only beats the 3770K in one or two multithreaded tasks.

At least AMD is pricing Piledriver a little more appropriate to what its performance level is. Now, if you needed a cpu strictly for multithreaded tasks (not gaming), the 8350 might be a reasonable budget-level competitor to the i5 or i7, considering its price point.

KevinHamm

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Ok thanks so the 3570k I should buy. But my question is if I'm looking at their specs, how can I tell its better you know, what can I look at on the box or something, or on their spec pages that would be like "wow" factor in some sort of area that makes it so much faster them amd.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
They don't put this on the boxes, so no:
crysis-latency.gif

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
But my question is if I'm looking at their specs, how can I tell its better you know, what can I look at on the box or something, or on their spec pages that would be like "wow" factor in some sort of area that makes it so much faster them amd.

A CPU's performance is like a cars performance, there is no one single metric that will let you compare two cars in any meaningful way.

The closest you can get to a single metric is:
(CPU CLOCK SPEED) * (INSTRUCTIONS PER CLOCK CYCLE) * (OVERALL EFFICIENCY)

Sadly most synthetic benchmarks do not test the efficiency of the CPU and it's caches. A 64MB L2/L3 cache will do nothing for performance if it's hit ratio is only 30% for example.

When I say OVERALL EFFICIENCY above, I am not referring to power consumption, or space, size, etc. Just the efficiency of the processor at executing real-world code.

Single metric comparisons are dangerous, it's always better to use a 2D or 3D graph so that the actual performance data can be interpreted rapidly and meaningfully for a given application.

The hit ratio's for the cache(s) for a given application are not usually published, so this makes it even harder to calculate.

Thankfully we have sites like Toms Hardware, Tech Report, AnandTech, XbitLabs, SemiAccurate and several others to get the bigger picture.

KevinHamm

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Graphics: 7870 MSI Hawk
Monitor: Auria 2560x1440 27'
PSU: Corsair HX750W
CPU: 3570k
Mobo: Extreme4
Ram: 8gigs GSkill 2x4
Case: I've changed to the Fractal Midi Tower ((On sale for 50$ on newegg))

looks solid except id say go with these instead, different powersupply, ram and gpu, and thats about it, fractal is decent.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207017

850watts and solid as hell, xfx makes top notch hardware thats including psu.

also for ram:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226341

16 gigs pays off in the end and isnt alot more, good for future proofing.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127662

7870 twinfrozr stays just as cool. but u can go with hawk if ud prefer.

also for motherboard id recommand this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157297

a few bucks more but def worth it, better overall mobo in my opinion but same brand.

also http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001708CVF

if you wanna game in 2560 x 1440 5ms

alot better than auria, not worth skimping on a decent screen if not, go with a 1080p 27inch monitor and i could recommand one if ud like

enjoy :)

bkboggy

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, never rely on posted specs. Also, if you haven't noticed, Intel provides almost three times as much data on their components when compared to AMD. I'm not a fanboy, but that just seems odd to me that a technological manufacturer's product description has less specs on their website than a can of soup. I go to benchmark websites (several, since you can never just trust one) to see how they perform with the software I'm likely to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.