Sign in with
Your question

Gaming/Recording/Rendering PC

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2012 4:03:28 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: September 1st-ish

Budget Range: Around about AUS $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming whilst recording, rendering, very basic video editting, Sony Vegas drag a clip in and render. Minecraft (mainly), ArmA II, Diablo 3, Skyrim.

Are you buying a monitor: Nope, already have keyboard and mouse in mind, Razer Arctosa and Deathadder.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, 64-bit OEM

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: http://centrecom.com.au (has PC builder)

Parts Preferences: Intel not AMD, i5 or i7, around 3.3-3.5GHz stock, nVidia GPU thinking of GTX 670 2GB, 1TB HDD any brand.

Overclocking: Is it worth it to shorten lifespan of CPU? Worried about wrecking the CPU.

SLI or Crossfire: One monitor, possibly two in 2-3 years.

Your Monitor Resolution: Not exactly sure, 1920x1080 I think.

Additional Comments: Not too fussed on what case looks like, I'm looking for a parts list with an explanation, so if you say get 8GB of RAM, how will that benefit me, faster gaming or rendering? etc.
Undecided of 8GB RAM or 16, thinking 8GB, will 16GB really benefit for the price? Also undecided on SSD for games, not worried about putting OS on there because I turn computer on and walk away until it starts but will it make games load faster whilst i'm playing? e.g. Minecraft loading chunks or regions of the map in view quicker?

Thank you in advance and please leave an explanation to part's choice! :) 
July 31, 2012 3:03:33 PM

If you are rendering and Video editing definitely go with Intel's i7 line of processors for the hyper threading. I would go with the i7-3770 because I have heard good things about it. Also I would suggest a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD for you as they seem very reliable. Of you have the budget I would also get a 120GB SSD. It will massively decrease boot time so you wont have to walk away and for all games loaded onto them there will be almost no load time minecraft included. For gaming 8 GB of RAM is fine but if you are also rendering and video editing. I do not know. I would get 16GB to be safe. also I suggest a Cooler Master HAF case for there air circulation.
m
l
July 31, 2012 3:32:42 PM

I have always found it impossible to use the same GPU for gaming and 3D software like Solidworks which I use daily. The drivers are simply diametrically opposed to each other. Also, I do not recommend buying an SSD if your only interest is speed. Yes they are faster for booting and program launch however after a week or so you will no longer even notice the extra speed. It just becomes normal. Reliability is the reason to buy an SSD IMHO. No moving parts, low power consumption and very rugged.
m
l
July 31, 2012 10:49:09 PM

MaidenBoots said:
If you are rendering and Video editing definitely go with Intel's i7 line of processors for the hyper threading. I would go with the i7-3770 because I have heard good things about it. Also I would suggest a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD for you as they seem very reliable. Of you have the budget I would also get a 120GB SSD. It will massively decrease boot time so you wont have to walk away and for all games loaded onto them there will be almost no load time minecraft included. For gaming 8 GB of RAM is fine but if you are also rendering and video editing. I do not know. I would get 16GB to be safe. also I suggest a Cooler Master HAF case for there air circulation.

This is what I got for my final build I THINK not too sure yet :) , any modifications let me know :) , i'll take into consideration that Black Caviar and yeah got 16GB of RAM, will wait for SSD maybe another 6 months when their tech is higher and price lower, not bothered on boot and game startup times I walk away anyways.
m
l
!