Huge Issues with Video Card - Please Help!

djp3232

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am at the end of my rope with this problem. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I bought a desktop computer, AMD Athlon 6400+, 2.39 GHz, 2gbs ram, Windows XP, and galaxy gt 520 video card, 1 gb. When I bought the computer, I reformatted and did a clean install. The ATI video card it came with worked fine for about 2 weeks, then it fried, no signal, nothing. I bought a new video card, installed it, and it worked for 2 days, before crashing my computer with blue screens and cyclic cycle errors. I then purchased a NVIDIA Galaxy GT220, installed it, and same thing. Then I realized that I still had some ATI files on my computer, so I used driversweeper to get rid of them. I exchanged the Galaxy GT220 for a GT520, and after the computer was clean of all ATI files, it ran very smoothly. Except for when I run game on it. I will play for a certain amount of time, then the computer will freeze, and I need to restart it. I suspected it was a BIOS issue, because it frozeup the exact same as my computer did when I tried to update the BIOS using the ASUS flash update tool. I ended up having to revert to the initial bios software, because the upgrade turned my computer from freezing every hour or so to every 5 minutes or so. My motherboard is an ASUS A8V-VM SE. All I want to do is run some video games with my friends without it freezing. I'm very close to either throwing it out, scrapping it for parts, or turning it into a work processor/internet computer and abandoning any hope of it playing video games. The video game in question (if it helps) is called League of Legends. When I play it, the screen will flicker every once in a while, then freeze about 30-40 minutes into it. I'm playing on the lowest setting. I apologize if I ranted a bit, I consider myself good with computers, but this is out of my range. Once again, any help at all would be very much appreciated.

djp3232

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
My temps and computer case are good, I just checked those, and I am pretty sure my power supply uinit is ok, but I'm not too sure. I did some more checking this morning. Does anyone know if the asus A8V-VM motherboard is pci-e 2.0 compatible, because I saw something that says it isnt, and my video card box says it needs a PCI Express or PCI-Express 2.0 compliant motherboard. Does that mean it needs the PCI Express 2.0 slot, or will PCI Express itself suffice? If the PCI Express itself will suffice, I will look at the power supply. Thank you for the quick reply fantastik, its assuring that someone is willing to help:)

djp3232

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I don't know the brand, I couldn't see it, but on the label of the PSU it says 115/230 V, and there is a red switch on the back of the tower that I have switched so it shows the 115 number. I will switch it and tell you if anything changes.

djp3232

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I switched the red switch so that instead of showing the number 115, it showed 230. The computer would not load up, and all I could see is a red LED on the front of my computer lit up. I assume now that the number it shows is what it is currently not using.

Dude, never switch that switch. Thats pumping 230v into your PC, if you are in the states, thatll most assuredly fry it. We operate on 115v, that switch is there for people who use 230v from the wall. Like your dryer, or dish washer, not a PC. Ugh.

djp3232

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Ok, thank you fantasik. Any thoughts? I would try to update my bios again, but the moment I do that it will freeze. So far it has been ok, it works with everything but high demand video games. Any other thoughts? Should I try and investigate if its a video game issue now, or are there more things I can check.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Yea, it could be the high demanding video that may cause trouble to your cards. Why don't attempt to refund and try other cards? Look at a Zotac 2GB GT 440, or a 7750 both cards don't need to use any power cords. The issue may disappear. Also, if you tried patching or updating the game may work. But, check out the options you noted and then consider getting a different card.