New Build Freezing during Gameplay

Hey so I just put together my first home-build computer and I've been having a lot of freezing problems.
The computer runs fine during web browsing and general operation, but when ever I launch a game it freezes with in 1-3 min. I don't get a BSOD or any noticeable error in the crash log, everything just hangs and I have to restart by holding the the power button down. My specs are:

CPU: AMD FX-4170 black edition Zambezi 4.2GHz
GPU: ASUS HD7770-2GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 2GB 128-bit GDDR5
MOBO: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 timing: 9-9-9-24
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W with +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V@50A, -12V@0.5A, +5Vsb@2.5A
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue RFHWD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM
Optical: none installed.

I'm fairly sure its not a RAM or PSU issue, I had another PSU and RAM set, but the PSU didn't have enough wattage on the 12V rail, so I RMAed it. Also the ram was low voltage, 1.3V and my mobo said it only supported 1.5v so I RMAed it as well (i'm not sure if this was a problem but i thought better safe than sorry).

I am not overclocking at all, and everything is set to default in the BIOS.
I have made sure I have the latest BIOS version, as well as the GPU DRIVERS and all the chipset drivers from my mobo's manufacture's website.

I also ran a few GPU and CPU stress tests, and I couldn't reproduce the crash.
The hard drive also checks out with an integrity test.

My temps are all well within limits, around mid-low 40c

The crashes that I am seeing now are exactly the same as I was seeing before I RMAed my old PSU and and RAM so that leads me to suspect either graphics card, cpu, mobo, or hd.

Thanks for the help!
13 answers Last reply
More about build freezing gameplay
  1. not your cpu because nothing has caused it to break could be your mobo but a simple cmos reset can change that. the one that can be at fault here could be your graphic card check your warranty if you can return it for a new one and then test the new one out on your rig mate
  2. what game is it btw? or is it any game?
  3. I've tested Driver San francisco, Assassins creed brotherhood and vindictus. Although vindictus was before I RMAed my old PSU.
  4. DANWIN said:
    not your cpu because nothing has caused it to break could be your mobo but a simple cmos reset can change that. the one that can be at fault here could be your graphic card check your warranty if you can return it for a new one and then test the new one out on your rig mate

Is there any way I can test my GPU, oher than sending it back?
  5. You can try stressing your GPU with 3dMark11. (free version)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmark11/
  6. Hawkeye22 said:
    You can try stressing your GPU with 3dMark11. (free version)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmark11/

I tired this but it failed during the combined CPU GPU test. But I didn't get the same freeze that i've been seeing, it just stopped the stress test and went back to the desktop
  7. ok so I did a CMOS reset, and that didn't help. This is really driving me crazy, any help would be greatly appreciated!
  8. you should really return it over the years i have learned if it broke you should check the warranty
  9. DANWIN said:
    you should really return it over the years i have learned if it broke you should check the warranty

I'm almost there, do you really think its broken? I was hoping it was just software stuff.
  10. yeah if it's not your mobo or cpu it's gotta be your gpu
  11. DANWIN said:
    yeah if it's not your mobo or cpu it's gotta be your gpu

Is there anyway I could determine which of these it is? I'm fairly sure its got to be one of these three.

Also I ran some more testing programs, The system is totally stable under FuMark. I ran it for 20 min, no problems under 100% GPU load, the GPU got a little hot, but not that bad around 50-60c if i remember.

Also I did a complete reinstall of windows 7, and a another CMOS reset, still nothing.

Another weird thing is under the event viewer, nothing shows up for the freeze up. I get an error because I have to do a hard restart, but before that there are no errors.
  12. if you did all that then the problem has to be with your gpu i'm sorry mate
  13. I'm actually leaning towards mobo now. I was able to use my friends card in my system, and I got the same thing. Also my mobo has a row of led lights along the top, which ususally come on when booting, but they recently stopped coming on when I boot. Then when I was testing my ram again, it wouldn't post and I got three beeps from the debug speaker. I was going to ask over in the motherboards section what this could mean. According to the user manual it means:
    DXEIPL was not found
    or
    DXE Core Firmware Volume was not found

but googleing doesnt turn up much about what these mean, so I am scratching my head.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems