My pc is broken :( Could use some advice.

daiesthai

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Ok guys so I couldnt find any other forum areas that relate specifically to broken PC's so I'll post here.

First off I have an i7 920 D0 running at its stock clock of 2.67ghz, 6Gbs of Ballistix PC12800 and an ATI HD6970 with an 850W OCZ power supply.

The computers been running for well over 2-3 years now and its been fine, my most recent upgrade was the new graphics card and that was probably 10-12 months ago.

Last night we had a series of power cuts and surges, the PC was off at the time and it is directly connected to an APC backup battery. I reset the Battery thismorning when I woke up because it had been knocked offline and my PC is still off at this point, i glance over at my Keyboard and mouse and all the lights on them are flashing, in fact all the USB devices that had lights were flashing, including my headphones. Ok so I go to turn on the PC and no go, nothing happens... great.

I unplug everything move the PC over to my workbench and start troubleshooting everything. With only the power cable going into the PC the motherboards on board power switch has a red light on it signeling that there is power going to the board.
So I turn on the PC and the fans spin up for about half a second and then turn off again, I try again and this time this is a horrible loud beep, nothing i've head from a POST before, Same thing happens again, it goes off. A few more tries and the same thing happens, sometimes with a beep and sometimes not. So I unplug the graphics card, try again and this time the fans seem to spin up for longer and it seems like its about to start working correctly when it turns off by itself again. Ok so I try a few more things like unplugging all the Hard drives as well, same thing. I try reseating all the RAM, same thing.
Now I remove the graphics card entirely and the PC does the exact same thing as before, fans spin up for half a second and then off again.

So I'm lead to believe that its either the PSU or the Motherboard thats fried right ? I dont have a spare PSU on hand so I'll have to go and buy one later today.
Anyone have any suggestions about anything else i could try ?

daiesthai

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Thanks, I'll be doing that later today.
I dont see any burn marks on the PSU or the Motherboard, in fact the motherboard looks pristine, looks like its new out of the box even after 3 years.
I dont smell any burned out electronics either.

All the capacitors look fine, theres no swolen ones or burst ones.

daiesthai

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Yes, I removed each one, trying to restart the computer with each stick removed, and then again while putting the ram back in.

I also reset the CMOS which did not work either.

daiesthai

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Figure I'd tell you what my motherboard is as well. ASUS P6T SE

The Power light next to the RAM is a solid red when the PC is off and then flashes when the PC is turned on in the brief second that the Fans spin up and it goes off again.

asus-p6t-xbit-labs-02.jpg

daiesthai

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Thanks for the Help, I'll be heading to the PC shop later today to get a replacement PSU, God I hope it is the PSU, I really dont have the cash to replace the motherboard.