Sign in with
Your question

I3-3220 vs FX-4300 @5Ghz - Page 2

Last response: in CPUs
a c 105 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2012 2:51:58 PM

def, also its not good imo, does the job but not good quality, theres superior software solutions that works alot better and that u can edit and play with.

December 16, 2012 2:56:26 PM

Aah I see then, because my priority when it comes to video-editing is having a smoother experience while working on the video itself, I don't care how long it takes, I want a good quality video.

If the FX-4300 / 6300 is better at that than a hyperthreaded i3-3220, then I've found what I want, a multi-core AMD CPU.
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 3:09:15 PM

Sounds like you are indeed the niche for AMD FX ;) 
Related resources
December 16, 2012 3:16:59 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Sounds like you are indeed the niche for AMD FX ;) 

Hehe I'm glad its starting to become clear now :)  So it seems I'm good to go for either an FX-4300 / FX-6300. Overclock with a Cooler Master Hyper TX3. I just need to be sure, since the FX-6300 has the same TDP as an FX-4300... that means I shouldn't worry about higher power consumption with my Corsair CX500? If that's the case, then by all means FX-6300!

Any idea as to how much of an overclock I need to match my current i3-2100? I'm just speculating 4.5Ghz for the FX-4300 is good, since its a trade-off between speed and heat, as well as the capabilities of a 970 chipset motherboard... if I overclock higher = more money for better cooling solution (water-cooled) + better 990FX motherboard... nah not worth it I'm thinking...

In summary: FX-4300 / FX-6300 + 970 chipset motherboard + Cooler Master TX3... all good? :D 
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 3:36:57 PM

Change the cooler to Xigmatek GAIA, it's $19.99, very nice unit for the price.

Don't worry about power with a 6850.
a c 105 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2012 4:15:16 PM

well 4.5 wont be easy to achieve, also ull need some decent cooling, atleast this as a minimum or a cheap water cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for 34$

or cheap water cooling:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for 54$

39$ after rebate would enshur that the heat doesnt cause ur problems,

and 500 watts should be sufficient, that tx3 isnt very good.

my above recommandations are the best if ur gonna do a huge overclock

December 17, 2012 11:48:43 PM

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in the pile here, currently I have 2 gaming rigs that serve as useful comparisons here.

System 1 Specs: AMD FX-6300 @ 5ghz on Custom Water Cooling, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 16gb GSkill DDR3 2400, HD7970.

System 2 Specs: Intel i5-3570k @ 4.8ghz on Custom Water Cooling, Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, 16gb GSkill DDR3 2400, HD7970

System 1 is my GFs computer and System 2 is my own. I was actually kind of appalled when I sat them both side by side and played FarCry 3 on them. Our framerates are identical @ 1920x1080 ~80fps, same goes for Skyrim ~90fps, as well as Metro 2033 ~80fps and even our 3dMark scores are within 200pts of each other, so I switched over to WoW and logged in to check frame rates I was averaging 110-120FPS while she was in the mid 90s, so negligible difference there. I figured my intel system would have that little AMD beat by quite a bit. But sadly I cannot say that, being an Intel fanboy and realizing I paid twice the amount of money for my processor as hers and then realzing there really isnt any real world performance to be had is just disheartening. Im sure down the line if/when games become more CPU intensive I might start to see an advantage, but for now I gotta say both of these processors will play pretty much anything I can throw at them. I tried to be as impartial as I could during the tests, kept all graphics settings the same etc.

TLDR in the realworld there will be little to no difference between the FX6300 and 3570K when it comes to gaming.
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 6:51:55 AM

ninjasinpjs said:
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in the pile here, currently I have 2 gaming rigs that serve as useful comparisons here.

System 1 Specs: AMD FX-6300 @ 5ghz on Custom Water Cooling, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 16gb GSkill DDR3 2400, HD7970.

System 2 Specs: Intel i5-3570k @ 4.8ghz on Custom Water Cooling, Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, 16gb GSkill DDR3 2400, HD7970

System 1 is my GFs computer and System 2 is my own. I was actually kind of appalled when I sat them both side by side and played FarCry 3 on them. Our framerates are identical @ 1920x1080 ~80fps, same goes for Skyrim ~90fps, as well as Metro 2033 ~80fps and even our 3dMark scores are within 200pts of each other, so I switched over to WoW and logged in to check frame rates I was averaging 110-120FPS while she was in the mid 90s, so negligible difference there. I figured my intel system would have that little AMD beat by quite a bit. But sadly I cannot say that, being an Intel fanboy and realizing I paid twice the amount of money for my processor as hers and then realzing there really isnt any real world performance to be had is just disheartening. Im sure down the line if/when games become more CPU intensive I might start to see an advantage, but for now I gotta say both of these processors will play pretty much anything I can throw at them. I tried to be as impartial as I could during the tests, kept all graphics settings the same etc.

TLDR in the realworld there will be little to no difference between the FX6300 and 3570K when it comes to gaming.

In Skyrim there is a massive difference between intel and AMD as there is in starcraft. In all the CPU bound app's an i5 will leave the FX in the dust
December 18, 2012 1:39:33 PM

darth pravus said:
In Skyrim there is a massive difference between intel and AMD as there is in starcraft. In all the CPU bound app's an i5 will leave the FX in the dust

Intel fanboys just can't let it go can they.The poster try's to make a reasoned post by stating his personnel experience and then you come along and go "yeah but Intel destroys".Do you own stock in Intel by any chance?
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:46:44 PM

Motaka said:
Intel fanboys just can't let it go can they.The poster try's to make a reasoned post by stating his personnel experience and then you come along and go "yeah but Intel destroys".Do you own stock in Intel by any chance?

Nothing of the sort. I just bench machines and build them for various clients. FX series has more troubles than it's worth such as poor single thread performance (Unfortunately what most games tend to be although it is changing) and stuttering for some users. I know other have more detail on this.

When AMD come up with something that is on top performance wise then I will gladly buy it. I have no loyalty to Intel I just like to know that my machine will have few hichups and great performance.
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:48:19 PM

I will admit that if you can't get an i7 the fx 8530 is great for rendering. IT's the middleground between i5 and i7 in that respect.
      • 2 / 2
!