Urgent request

Please see posting above re CIRAS.OCX.

I am now quite desperate. Time is running out and I hope that someone
reading this NG will know enough about Win98SE to give me an answer.

Can I repair Win98?

Will I have to re-install Win98?

Will I have to re-install all the application software?

I was running a Triscali CD to create a connection to the Internet and
it found a file missing. It might have been missing for some time.
It was CIRAS.OCX or one of its dependencies. It is involved in
itnernet connections.

I am very short of time now.

I did try a Win98 group but all day I have been waiting and it's like
a graveyard. Some of them have not had a posting for weeks or even
months.

Colin
9 answers Last reply
More about urgent request

    There is no Repair Option for Win98.
    You can do a System File Check and maybe that will repair any damaged files,
    Have you Win98 CD handy and go to Start>Run>(type) sfc (press enter) and go
    to settings and select Yes by all the options and then run it and see if it
    solves the problem.

    CIRAS.OCX
    This does not seem to be a Windows file that I can find so this may not
    solve your problems.

    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Colin Bearfield" <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    Please see posting above re CIRAS.OCX.

    I am now quite desperate. Time is running out and I hope that someone
    reading this NG will know enough about Win98SE to give me an answer.

    Can I repair Win98?

    Will I have to re-install Win98?

    Will I have to re-install all the application software?

    I was running a Triscali CD to create a connection to the Internet and
    it found a file missing. It might have been missing for some time.
    It was CIRAS.OCX or one of its dependencies. It is involved in
    itnernet connections.

    I am very short of time now.

    I did try a Win98 group but all day I have been waiting and it's like
    a graveyard. Some of them have not had a posting for weeks or even
    months.

    Colin

    Colin

    Take a look at this website..

    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Colin Bearfield" <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Please see posting above re CIRAS.OCX.
    >
    > I am now quite desperate. Time is running out and I hope that someone
    > reading this NG will know enough about Win98SE to give me an answer.
    >
    > Can I repair Win98?
    >
    > Will I have to re-install Win98?
    >
    > Will I have to re-install all the application software?
    >
    > I was running a Triscali CD to create a connection to the Internet and
    > it found a file missing. It might have been missing for some time.
    > It was CIRAS.OCX or one of its dependencies. It is involved in
    > itnernet connections.
    >
    > I am very short of time now.
    >
    > I did try a Win98 group but all day I have been waiting and it's like
    > a graveyard. Some of them have not had a posting for weeks or even
    > months.
    >
    > Colin

    How do I set up the Internet E-Mail Gateway?
    http://www.clientprofiles.com/FAQDetail.asp?ID=8

    Windows 98 must have Microsoft Networking installed.
    If you receive an error related to the registration of CIRAS.OCX
    when the Gateway is launched, you will need to install RAS or
    Networking before continuing.

    Download the file: Ciras.ocx
    http://www.dynamiclink.nl/htmfiles/rframes/info_ocx/info_c/41.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Colin Bearfield" wrote:

    | Please see posting above re CIRAS.OCX.
    |
    | I am now quite desperate. Time is running out and I hope that someone
    | reading this NG will know enough about Win98SE to give me an answer.
    |
    | Can I repair Win98?
    |
    | Will I have to re-install Win98?
    |
    | Will I have to re-install all the application software?
    |
    | I was running a Triscali CD to create a connection to the Internet and
    | it found a file missing. It might have been missing for some time.
    | It was CIRAS.OCX or one of its dependencies. It is involved in
    | itnernet connections.
    |
    | I am very short of time now.
    |
    | I did try a Win98 group but all day I have been waiting and it's like
    | a graveyard. Some of them have not had a posting for weeks or even
    | months.
    |
    | Colin

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:23:50 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >How do I set up the Internet E-Mail Gateway?
    >http://www.clientprofiles.com/FAQDetail.asp?ID=8
    >
    >Windows 98 must have Microsoft Networking installed.
    >If you receive an error related to the registration of CIRAS.OCX
    >when the Gateway is launched, you will need to install RAS or
    >Networking before continuing.
    >
    >Download the file: Ciras.ocx
    >http://www.dynamiclink.nl/htmfiles/rframes/info_ocx/info_c/41.htm

    The page says that downloads are currently disabled and if one tries
    to download there is an error message about Paypal so I suppose it is
    a financial transaction problem.

    I forgot to say that when I re-booted there was a new error message
    that RASAPI32.DLL was not found.

    VPN and Networking are all installed according to control panel. I did
    take an Acronis True Image before starting but that was obviously
    after the system was corrupted.

    It just seems to be the |Internet connection bit that won't play. it
    seems such a shame. I've created a backup partition and made all
    sorts of precautions for future use but I think it will all have to go
    (apart from the partition).

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:21:50 -0500, "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote:

    >There is no Repair Option for Win98.
    >You can do a System File Check and maybe that will repair any damaged files,
    >Have you Win98 CD handy and go to Start>Run>(type) sfc (press enter) and go
    >to settings and select Yes by all the options and then run it and see if it
    >solves the problem.
    >
    >CIRAS.OCX
    >This does not seem to be a Windows file that I can find so this may not
    >solve your problems.
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184023/EN-US/
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183887/EN-US/

    I found this really puzzling. If it's not an MS file why was
    Tiscali's CD looking for it. If it needed it it would be on the CD.

    Colin

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:22:51 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Colin
    >
    >Take a look at this website..
    >
    >http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html

    Right, I shall do this. Item 3 might give me some trouble. I expect
    "clean up registry" means something very specific.

    BTW one of the things that Tiscali did was update IE to v6. Now the
    Tools/Internet Options doesn't work. It did before. Do I really have
    to eliminate it before anything else?

    Colin

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:04:26 GMT, Colin Bearfield
    <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Please see posting above re CIRAS.OCX.
    >
    >I am now quite desperate. Time is running out and I hope that someone
    >reading this NG will know enough about Win98SE to give me an answer.
    >
    >Can I repair Win98?
    >
    >Will I have to re-install Win98?
    >
    >Will I have to re-install all the application software?
    >
    >I was running a Triscali CD to create a connection to the Internet and
    >it found a file missing. It might have been missing for some time.
    >It was CIRAS.OCX or one of its dependencies. It is involved in
    >itnernet connections.
    >
    >I am very short of time now.
    >
    >I did try a Win98 group but all day I have been waiting and it's like
    >a graveyard. Some of them have not had a posting for weeks or even
    >months.
    >
    >Colin

    Forgot to say - my nerves are shattered. I am doing this for a friend
    he has the original install disk and I have mine, both are legitimate.
    Will it matter if I use my install disks?

    Colin

    Colin

    As long as they are essentially the same..

    Tell your friend that you don't know s#$t next time unless he pays $40/hour
    up front.. :-)

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:04:26 GMT, Colin Bearfield
    > <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Please see posting above re CIRAS.OCX.
    >>
    >>I am now quite desperate. Time is running out and I hope that someone
    >>reading this NG will know enough about Win98SE to give me an answer.
    >>
    >>Can I repair Win98?
    >>
    >>Will I have to re-install Win98?
    >>
    >>Will I have to re-install all the application software?
    >>
    >>I was running a Triscali CD to create a connection to the Internet and
    >>it found a file missing. It might have been missing for some time.
    >>It was CIRAS.OCX or one of its dependencies. It is involved in
    >>itnernet connections.
    >>
    >>I am very short of time now.
    >>
    >>I did try a Win98 group but all day I have been waiting and it's like
    >>a graveyard. Some of them have not had a posting for weeks or even
    >>months.
    >>
    >>Colin
    >

    > Forgot to say - my nerves are shattered. I am doing this for a friend
    > he has the original install disk and I have mine, both are legitimate.
    > Will it matter if I use my install disks?
    >
    > Colin

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:04:26 GMT, Colin Bearfield
    <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Please see posting above re CIRAS.OCX.
    >
    >I am now quite desperate. Time is running out and I hope that someone
    >reading this NG will know enough about Win98SE to give me an answer.
    >
    >Can I repair Win98?
    >
    >Will I have to re-install Win98?
    >
    >Will I have to re-install all the application software?
    >
    >I was running a Triscali CD to create a connection to the Internet and
    >it found a file missing. It might have been missing for some time.
    >It was CIRAS.OCX or one of its dependencies. It is involved in
    >itnernet connections.
    >
    >I am very short of time now.
    >
    >I did try a Win98 group but all day I have been waiting and it's like
    >a graveyard. Some of them have not had a posting for weeks or even
    >months.
    >
    >Colin

    Right, here is the last word (almost).

    I eradicated IE6 in the way I was advised. Then I copied win98 folder
    from CD to HD. Then I ran setup. It took ages but it worked. There
    were dozens of files not found during the setup so there might be
    another chapter later.

    When I re booted it wanted to carry on with the Tiscali install so I
    let it. While it was online it faltered a lot. So I pulled out and
    created a connection to www.adial.com as I had been advised in the
    first place. ntlworld didn't like mu email address and password so
    didn't let me in but I expect that it was the wrong case or something.

    Here's the real anguish. I have had a phone call explaining to me what
    RAS is. It's a commercial program used by many big names in the UK
    (Bank of Scotland, Virgin, Tesco, etc) to create a dialer pad on
    screen which is supposed to make access easy. In spite of Tiscali's
    protests I am told that it is Tiscali's attempt to create this dialer
    that has caused the damage and that probably the O/S was never
    corrupted before hand.

    On the up side, if this is so then my backup is ok.

    Many thanks for a help in need.

    Colin

Configuration Customization Windows XP