Clicking noise coming from computer.

ponyothemonkey

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hey guys,

I built a new computer recently
i7-3770, coolermaster 212 evo, antec 300 case, gtx 680, 8gb gskil ripjaws, 120gb sandisk ssd drive.

In any case, the computer has been running fine for two months, but now when I turn on my computer, I hear a weird clicking noise like "tk tk tk tk." The sound lasts for about a minute or two and then stops and runs normal from then on. If I reboot the computer, the problem doesn't occur. It only starts when I power on my computer from a cold boot. However, if I shut down my computer and turn it on a few seconds later, then it won't make that noise. In other words, it only makes that noise if the computer has been off for a few hours and then turn it on. I unplugged the fans and it still makes the noise. I don't think it's the ssd, because there is no moving parts. Everything is working perfectly, so I don't know what the problem is.

DANWIN

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
really good psu can also have faulty fans and power cords don't worry it's on the warranty you can return that one and get a new one just call them up if it doesn't fix the problem no sweat you have a new psu and that eliminates the psu out of the build flaw

ponyothemonkey

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
hmm i don't think that the psu is the problem. i looked at youtube videos of faulty psus and they emit an obvious "something is seriously wrong" noise. maybe i should describe the sound better. it sounds like a 7200rpm harddrive accessing/transferring data, but louder. does this help?

ponyothemonkey

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171567

It sounds like a hard drive access/clicking noise, but i don't think it's coming from the hard drive, because ssd's don't have moving parts. most of the forums that address noise problems deal with fan issues, but i don't seem to be having any fan issues. when using cpuid, all the fans are at a steady rpm and don't fluctuate. hm.... i don't know what to do.

hilltopmonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
check all connections from the psu (power cables included) - by check i mean unplug and reconnect them. once done, leave the side off, and boot machine. hunt for that sound.

the sould could be electrical discharge (hence power cables) or a mechanical part; so a fan, hdd or cd drive. - these are what you are checking for.