mage in mass pvp

Ok, here are the details:

lvl 49 mage, undead
fire/arcane spec (Combustion instead of Presence of Mind)
mass carnage at XR

I manage to do pretty well, destroying most characters my own level in
just a couple hits if I can get a nuke in, and even occasionally killing
the Alliance lvl 60's that don't have the balls to take on players they
are not showing skulls to. I usually use pyroblast or fireball as an
opening, if I have enough distraction around me to avoid taking fire
myself. Otherwise, it's instant spells like fire blast, fire nova (or
whatever it's called), frost nova, cone of cold, and then shield, blink,
and pray.

The things that kill me, easily 90% of the time:

Serpent Sting
Moonfire
stealthed rogues

I can't count the number of times I've slipped away from battle, out of
range and relatively safe, with half my health left, and watched it all
go down the drain due to 30-sec DoT's.

As for the rogues, a good one has me dead in about 3 hits after a stun,
so no chance of fire nova, frost nova, blink, etc.

Clearly a cooperative priest or other healer would help, but one of the
downsides of playing Horde (at least on Eonar) is the overwhelming
lone-wolf mentality of young males that make up 95% of the Horde
players. It's hard enough forming a raidgroup for pvp... getting heals
is miracle.

What do mages here do against these attacks?

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (49), Undead mage
Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

In article <42ceb451$0$1220$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I use Scrolling Combat Text. It kinda improves the combat log by showing
> on your character stuff that can prove useful, like damage taken, or
> special attacks. Since then I haven't felt the need to browse the combat
> log for data.

I use that too, immensely helpful. But in mass pvp, I can't be relied
upon to register every bit of that info before it's gone. :p Also, it
doesn't track who hit you.

> A note: you can use blink to evade stuns :) This makes a mage's life
> against a rogue much easier than any other class (bar warrior, of course).

I need to use this more against rogues... I think I got turned off to it
because some rogue stuns are immune to blink, so you sit there helpless.
It may be only sap that does this, not sure. In any case, the tooltip
lies. I'm sapped, Blink claims it breaks stuns and immobilizing
effects, but it's not working (maybe only in that particular case). :p
I should enlist a rogue friend for some duels so I can sort this out.

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (49), Undead mage
Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:42:32 -0600, chocolatemalt
<chocolatemalt@dim=dot=com.invalid> wrote:

>In article <42ceb451$0$1220$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
> Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> A note: you can use blink to evade stuns :) This makes a mage's life
>> against a rogue much easier than any other class (bar warrior, of course).
>
>I need to use this more against rogues... I think I got turned off to it
>because some rogue stuns are immune to blink, so you sit there helpless.
>It may be only sap that does this, not sure. In any case, the tooltip
>lies. I'm sapped, Blink claims it breaks stuns and immobilizing
>effects, but it's not working (maybe only in that particular case). :p
>I should enlist a rogue friend for some duels so I can sort this out.

Sap and gouge are neither stuns or immobilizing effects - they are
disorienting effects, and no; Blink can't break them.

Cheap Shot and Kidney Shot are stuns and druid root is an immobilizing
effect, to give some examples.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

In article <5ccvc1hodckqmoo4qbhvdqhgntf6akb8iu@4ax.com>,
Simon Nejmann <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 13:42:32 -0600, chocolatemalt
> <chocolatemalt@dim=dot=com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >In article <42ceb451$0$1220$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
> > Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> A note: you can use blink to evade stuns :) This makes a mage's life
> >> against a rogue much easier than any other class (bar warrior, of course).
> >
> >I need to use this more against rogues... I think I got turned off to it
> >because some rogue stuns are immune to blink, so you sit there helpless.
> >It may be only sap that does this, not sure. In any case, the tooltip
> >lies. I'm sapped, Blink claims it breaks stuns and immobilizing
> >effects, but it's not working (maybe only in that particular case). :p
> >I should enlist a rogue friend for some duels so I can sort this out.
>
> Sap and gouge are neither stuns or immobilizing effects - they are
> disorienting effects, and no; Blink can't break them.
>
> Cheap Shot and Kidney Shot are stuns and druid root is an immobilizing
> effect, to give some examples.

Thanks for the tips. I played with this some more last night and
definitely confirmed that Sap is unbreakable via Blink, after several
hours of XR and TM madness. What is confusing is that using Blink
generates a "Cannot use while stunned" message in red on the screen,
while the Blink tooltip says it "breaks stuns"... clearly Blizzard does
not have this sorted out. But, now I do.

My main problem with using Blink to escape a sudden rogue attack (using
regular stuns, not disorienting effects) is that I want to get in a fire
and frost nova before the blink... clearly this puts me at more risk,
but I just can't help it. I want to hurt the rogue!

While it is specifically the hunters, druids, and rogues that give me
the most grief, the real challenge for me (and most of my lvl 30-50
Horde brethren) is the huge number of lvl 60 (still skulls to me)
Alliance chars that descend upon our towns. They have better skills and
talents (not to be confused with skill and talent), higher chance to
resist spells, and better gear from the high-end instances. In the rare
case where we get a bunch of lvl 60 Horde help and the numbers even out,
we trounce them and the Alliance either gives up or waits for flags to
fade before rezzing and our numbers to thin out so they can zerg us
again. So... I just need to level up. :p

In the occasional run-ins I have 1-on-1 with opponents my own level (or
even up to 55), I always beat them. Running around (boot speed enchant
helped here), blinking, using cold spells, instants, being a general
mana hose, they don't have much chance. Pally's and priests are tougher
but with a well-timed (i.e. lucky) Counterspell, game over for them.
But even at lvl 49, in the Eonar raids, it's rare to be able to read the
level of an Alliance char. They are all 60. I guess I know the
solution to this conundrum: Stick with BG.