Sign in with
Your question

Final Build? You decide! AUS $1367 gaming build!

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2012 11:13:53 AM

Hello, I make commentaries on YouTube and I'm looking to upgrade my PC, I use Sony Vegas and BandiCam (Like Fraps). I plan to film my games whilst talking and playing them.

So my mate has helped me vigourously, (I'm fussy and like to have reasons behind part choices :p ) and this is what he has come up with (AUS $) all parts from PCCaseGear in Australia.

MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Motherboard $125
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k $239
Case: BitFenix Shinobi with window $75
RAM: Corsair Venegeance 1600Mhz C9 8GB (2x4GB) x2 - [16GB] $130
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 670 2GB $439
PSU: OCZ Technology ZT Series 650W Power Supply $105
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB $92
OD: Samsung SH SATA DVDRW Drive OEM
Extra's: DVI-D Dual Link Male-Male Cable 2m $15
Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition Case Fan $25
Razer Artosa Keyboard $49
Razer Deathadder Mouse %$50
Windows 64 bit service pack OEM $99

Total: $1367

If you think I should change any of these parts due to the same performance with a cheaper price or better performance for the same price please let me know! Just wondering what you guys think and if this is good! Thanks so much in advance please reply! xD
July 31, 2012 11:24:31 AM

Looks good but where is your aftermarket CPU Cooler If your not planing on overclocking your cpu then don't buy the i5-3570k as it's for overclocking you want to buy the i5-3450 if not overclocking. Also,i wouldn't buy that mobo you want this version MOBO:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 31, 2012 11:36:45 AM

Mmm, looks pretty sexy -

-Biggest thing i'd recommend is get an SSD for boot, you can grab OCZ agility 3 64GBs for about $65 to put your key programs on and the performance increase is out of this world

-You can grab the fairly lovely XFX core edition 750W for about the same price or maybe a touch more.

-you could pay a tiny bit more for the non -m version of the extreme4 which would mean you could go SLI in the future if you upgraded the PSU to the 750w

the case (im pretty sure) doesnt have USB3 at the front, if thats an issue you can change it up, but it doesnt really make a difference.

otherwise its all looking very sexy =)

just make sure you staticice all the parts individually beforehand to see whether you can save money on any items ;)  Just type in the item ie i5 2570k state:NSW or SA or WA or wherever you live and it'll tell you the lowest prices on em
as a general rule if you have a MSY in your state it'll be the cheapest :) 
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 11:39:44 AM

Do not get the Arctosa keyboard! I purchased one myself and it is horrible. Black lettering on black keys is not a good idea, and I'm currently using this keyboard which is much better.
Thermaltake Challenger Pro. $75
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

Or you can sacrifice the LED lighting of that one and get this ridiculously cheaper version.
Thermaltake Challenger. $45

Why the Extreme4-M? Get an ATX board to go in your ATX case. Good choice by the way.
AsRock Z77 Extreme4. $155

Check out MSY and Umart for cheaper prices. I know MSY have that HDD a bit cheaper.
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8903
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:07:31 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Looks good but where is your aftermarket CPU Cooler If your not planing on overclocking your cpu then don't buy the i5-3570k as it's for overclocking you want to buy the i5-3450 if not overclocking. Also,i wouldn't buy that mobo you want this version MOBO:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think that motherboard IS the one I listed above? haha not too sure. I may OC in future so leaving options open with the 3570k, it also has a faster stock speed so might stick with that.
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:09:27 PM

07tonzpau said:
Mmm, looks pretty sexy -

-Biggest thing i'd recommend is get an SSD for boot, you can grab OCZ agility 3 64GBs for about $65 to put your key programs on and the performance increase is out of this world

-You can grab the fairly lovely XFX core edition 750W for about the same price or maybe a touch more.

-you could pay a tiny bit more for the non -m version of the extreme4 which would mean you could go SLI in the future if you upgraded the PSU to the 750w

the case (im pretty sure) doesnt have USB3 at the front, if thats an issue you can change it up, but it doesnt really make a difference.

otherwise its all looking very sexy =)

just make sure you staticice all the parts individually beforehand to see whether you can save money on any items ;)  Just type in the item ie i5 2570k state:NSW or SA or WA or wherever you live and it'll tell you the lowest prices on em
as a general rule if you have a MSY in your state it'll be the cheapest :) 

May wait around 6 months of so for newer SSD's to come out, make sure they are reliable and have been time tested :) , don't really care about loading screens on games or system boot, I usually alt+tab or walk away when PC is starting anyways.

I think 650W will do me but i'll definately check it out mate cheers!

Yeah it has 4 USB 3.0 slots! :D 

Yeah that's a very good idea mate cheers!
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:13:07 PM

You should swap the seagate barracuda for a WD Caviar Black. WD is slightly more expensive but the warranty on it lasts 4 years longer. SSD is also good OCZ has a 60GB for $45 and a 120GB (recommended) for $85.
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:13:41 PM

manofchalk said:
Do not get the Arctosa keyboard! I purchased one myself and it is horrible. Black lettering on black keys is not a good idea, and I'm currently using this keyboard which is much better.
Thermaltake Challenger Pro. $75

Or you can sacrifice the LED lighting of that one and get this ridiculously cheaper version.
Thermaltake Challenger. $45

Why the Extreme4-M? Get an ATX board to go in your ATX case. Good choice by the way.
AsRock Z77 Extreme4. $155

Check out MSY and Umart for cheaper prices. I know MSY have that HDD a bit cheaper.
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8903

There is a silver version of it, i've heard good things about it so I'm thinking of trying it, it's nice and cheap and I've never had a gaming KB before!

sweet might pricecheck on MSY never heard of it!
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:15:20 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
You should swap the seagate barracuda for a WD Caviar Black. WD is slightly more expensive but the warranty on it lasts 4 years longer. SSD is also good OCZ has a 60GB for $45 and a 120GB (recommended) for $85.

Oh yeah will pricecheck that mate sounds good, my HDD on this comp is F**kd so yeah a warranty would be nice haha, not sure about the SSD as mentioned early i don't care too much of system boot times and game load times. :) 
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:38:17 PM

AdarmisMaximus said:
I think that motherboard IS the one I listed above? haha not too sure. I may OC in future so leaving options open with the 3570k, it also has a faster stock speed so might stick with that.
no you had the miro atx Extreme4-M listed it's basically a mini version of the motherboard i listed
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:46:35 PM

yeah just get the Extreme4 without the -m
m
l
July 31, 2012 2:08:32 PM

bigcyco1 said:
no you had the miro atx Extreme4-M listed it's basically a mini version of the motherboard i listed

the extreme4-M is actually cheaper, only different between them is 4x USB 3.0, Digi Power Design 8 + 4 power phase design on the Extreme4 whilst the Extreme4-M has 2x USB 3.0, Digi Power Design 4 + 2 power phase design, what does the power design mean? I have 4 usb 3.0 slots on case so not too worried about that. the M one is 125 whilst non M is 155 as well
m
l
July 31, 2012 2:08:55 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
yeah just get the Extreme4 without the -m

what i wrote above :) 
m
l
July 31, 2012 11:47:32 PM

Why_Me said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <---- 14 post on this thread and nobody gave you this link? Please copy and paste that on here. It saves god only knows how many post and leaves out the guessing as it cuts right to the chase.

I've seen that link but didn't think I needed it because this build was already chosen, just looking for tips on what I could change :s
m
l
August 1, 2012 1:56:02 AM

Adarmis/Everyone:

I updated your build and have replies for everyone. PC Case Gear Prices

MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $155 (ATX board for an ATX case)
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k $239 (Keep this CPU because it is a Ivy Bridge series which allows you to automatic utilize the full PCI-Express 3.0 speeds on a 1155 board. And this motherboard will automatically increase CPU GHz accordingly without overheating or killing hardware).
Case: BitFenix Shinobi with window $75 (This and the Corsair 550D are the best cases).
RAM: Corsair Venegeance 1600MHz C9 8GB (2x4GB) x2 - [16GB] $130 (One word: FANTASTIC).
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 670 2GB $439 (This VS a EVGA is no difference but brand name/EVGA offer fantastic customer support, but that is why we are here ;)  ).
PSU: OCZ Technology ZT Series 650W Power Supply $105 (No need for larger PSU as this build would only pull max 550W from the wall under load).
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB $92 (Good RPM and write speeds are more than acceptable.
OD: Samsung SH SATA DVDRW Drive OEM (Read speeds are acceptable, as nobody needs to burn dvds anymore [HELLO USB]).
Extra's: DVI-D Dual Link Male-Male Cable 2m $15 (You would currently have a VGA card I am assuming?)
Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition Case Fan $25 (Good Choice as it will be good either side panel[Intake] or top of case [exhaust] very sound efficient too).
Razer Artosa Keyboard $49 (I have to agree with the forumers, Razer is not the best; but if you like it, go for it.).
Razer Deathadder Mouse $50 (I have to agree with the forumers, Razer is not the best; but if you like it, go for it.).
Windows 64 bit service pack OEM $99 (Everyone always needs this ;)  ).

GRAND TOTAL: $1473.00 (excluding GST/Delivery)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forumers Response:

:hello: 

Why_Me: Totally agree that forum provides quite good stuff

DarkOutlaw: The Motherboard has been updated, original choice was due to stock not available in AUS at the time. - Warranty is sufficient on the Barracuda. I have stress tested the HHD 72 hours and still working 12 months later no dramas. - No need for SSD yet, The MD doesn't offer Cache Drives so you would only be utilizing speeds for installations, game load screens, home network read/write.

manofchalk: I agree with the changes for peripherals. His where a bouts in Australia does not give him access to MSY or Umart.

07tonzpau: The motherboard does not support SSD Boot Cache Drives. The Larger PSU is unnecessary for his current requirements and budget. This case does have 2 USB 3.0 ports on the top panel, it is a updated Windows Shinobi from the previous release. MSY and Umart are not available in his location.

bigcyco1: Stock cooler will be fine as no overclocking will be performed. 3570K is a Ivy Bridge series which allows you to automatic utilize the full PCI-Express 3.0 speeds on a 1155 board. And this motherboard will automatically increase CPU GHz accordingly without overheating or killing hardware. MB has been updated.

I am totally willing to debate and discuss all the above if needed.

HaWkz091
m
l
August 1, 2012 2:54:47 AM

Why_Me,

The GTX 660 Ti 2GB is a PCIE 2.0 slot card, for build with a h77/Intel Gen2 CPU i5 2500k. This build for Adarmis is with a PCIE 3.0 GPU.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
Although it does have the same amount of CUDA Cores(1344)/DDR5 Memory Interface/Clock Speed. It lacks future proof and increased performance due to its PCIE interface.

If you go through the review; the GTX 660 Ti was tested with multiple different benchmarks, against a gang of GPU's AMD/NVidia. As there is no RRP for this card in australia yet, I would expect it to be kicking.. $375.00 ex GST. The GTX 660 Ti was only tested on "FPS" against the other GPU's. Temperatures/Noise were not tested and this can be a big deal breaker. But it would be good to see what MSI come up with for this model.

In Conclusion the GTX 660 Ti that is being released by NVidia later this year will be most impressive in certain aspects of the right build (H77/Intel Gen2). In the categories of Future Proof and Features, The GTX 670 2GB is worth the purchase for PCIE 3.0 and attached Features; Adaptive Sync, GPU Boost, Shader/Open GL Kepler Architecture. The Price of the GTX 670 will more than likely drop $15-$20 when the GTX 660 Ti is released.
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:09:41 AM

HaWkz091 said:
Why_Me,

The GTX 660 Ti 2GB is a PCIE 2.0 slot card, for build with a h77/Intel Gen2 CPU i5 2500k.

This build for Adarmis is with a PCIE 3.0 GPU.

I don't know why cpu z in that link is reading that card as PCI-E 2.0 because the gtx 660 ti is a new generation PCI-E 3.0 card.
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:21:18 AM

Why_Me said:
I don't know why cpu z in that link is reading that card as PCI-E 2.0 because the gtx 660 ti is a new generation PCI-E 3.0 card.

That is correct, I just found that myself that they will be releasing it on a PCI-E 3.0 Bus as well. Although not using Kepler.
m
l
!