newbie weapon question

Hi, I just bought the "anthology" pack, after playing the single player
mission from the "Secret Weapons" demo. Now in the demo, I really
enjoyed playing as assault class using the Bren.
Now that I have the game though, I've played thru several of the single
player maps, allied side, and when I choose assault class I end up with
the Thompson every time. What happened to the Bren and the BAR? I hate
the Thompson, quite frankly. Is there some way to change the weapon used
for each class, for single and multiplayer?
thanks in advance...
2 answers Last reply
More about newbie weapon question

    In article <425B0E19.8EF9D5BD@sbcglobal.net>, jscon777@sbcglobal.net says...
    > Is there some way to change the weapon used
    > for each class, for single and multiplayer?

    Kill another player and steal his weapon by pressing "G"
    or apropriate key you asigned for picking up items.

    --
    Best regards, flyace
    Thou infectious beetle-headed death-token!

    Shirley Hemphill wrote
    >Hi, I just bought the "anthology" pack, after playing the single player
    >mission from the "Secret Weapons" demo. Now in the demo, I really
    >enjoyed playing as assault class using the Bren.
    >Now that I have the game though, I've played thru several of the single
    >player maps, allied side, and when I choose assault class I end up with
    >the Thompson every time. What happened to the Bren and the BAR? I hate
    >the Thompson, quite frankly. Is there some way to change the weapon used
    >for each class, for single and multiplayer?
    >thanks in advance...

    You are stuck with the standard weapons for the class and team that you
    joined.

    However, if you prefer using the BAR that should not be a problem as it
    is the standard weapon for assault class on the US/British team on all
    the original BF1942 maps. If you find yourself armed with the Thompson
    then you have probably chosen the Medic class rather than Assault.
    Medics get a weaker gun to compensate for their special healing skills.

    Or just nick the kit from a dead enemy soldier as Tiny Pat suggested :)

    The Bren was a feature of the Secret Weapons expansion and doesn't
    appear in the original game, with one exception, Liberation of Caen
    where the Canadian assault class is equipped with it.

    From memory, some details might be wrong as I haven't played for a
    while, the assault class gets:

    Soviet - DP1928
    British - BAR
    US - BAR
    Canadian (Caen map) - Bren
    German - STG44
    Japanese - Type 99

    Here is an (albeit outdated) weapons guide:

    http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bf1942/game/weapons/

    Cheers, HTH

    --
    [AGB]Villy Vonka