Service in NJ/NYC

Hello,
I have been with Verizon Wireless for years and up until 2004 the
service has been very good. Recently, the service has deteriorated in
my home area of Central NJ and I am considering changing to another
carrier when my contract expires. I can't use T-Mobile, Nextel, or
Sprint, because their coverage is spotty in my home area, but I am not
sure about Cingular. FYI, I live in Hillsborough Twp., NJ and commute
to NYC by train daily, so I need a service that works along the way as
well as in Central NJ and NYC.

Thanks!

Ed
10 answers Last reply
More about service

    I would advise you not to move to Cingular you will drop calls everywhere. I
    work for Cingular for NE customer service and NJ is horrible.Manhattan is Ok
    but your commute is going to be downtime. I have worked for Cingular going
    on 3 years now and NJ was problem when I started and seems to be getting
    worse than better even with the acquisition of ATT. Long Island is horrible
    , I feel sorry for those people, Bronx is med to low coverage depending on
    what block your on. The other boroughs are med to low coverage.
    "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I have been with Verizon Wireless for years and up until 2004 the
    > service has been very good. Recently, the service has deteriorated in
    > my home area of Central NJ and I am considering changing to another
    > carrier when my contract expires. I can't use T-Mobile, Nextel, or
    > Sprint, because their coverage is spotty in my home area, but I am not
    > sure about Cingular. FYI, I live in Hillsborough Twp., NJ and commute
    > to NYC by train daily, so I need a service that works along the way as
    > well as in Central NJ and NYC.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ed

    >On 21 Aug 2005 11:37:58 -0700, "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have been with Verizon Wireless for years and up until 2004 the
    >service has been very good. Recently, the service has deteriorated in
    >my home area of Central NJ and I am considering changing to another
    >carrier when my contract expires. I can't use T-Mobile, Nextel, or
    >Sprint, because their coverage is spotty in my home area, but I am not
    >sure about Cingular. FYI, I live in Hillsborough Twp., NJ and commute
    >to NYC by train daily, so I need a service that works along the way as
    >well as in Central NJ and NYC.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Ed

    I travel quite a bit through northern NJ with no probs from NYC and
    beyond to my home 20 miles over the border in NE PA. My routes
    include 80 to 280 to the Holland and also 78 to the turnpike extension
    to the Holland. I've also done the 46 to 3 deal to the lincoln. I
    honestly can't complain about my service at all. My sister lives in
    Linden, which is more central in NJ and she has no probs either with
    cingular.
    Best,
    Chris

    NJ Analyst wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have been with Verizon Wireless for years and up until 2004 the
    > service has been very good. Recently, the service has deteriorated in
    > my home area of Central NJ

    Service deteriorating? When was the last time you did an update of
    your PRL in your Verizon phone? (Dial *228).

    Lena

    NJ Analyst wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have been with Verizon Wireless for years and up until 2004 the
    >service has been very good. Recently, the service has deteriorated in
    >my home area of Central NJ and I am considering changing to another
    >carrier when my contract expires. I can't use T-Mobile, Nextel, or
    >Sprint, because their coverage is spotty in my home area, but I am not
    >sure about Cingular. FYI, I live in Hillsborough Twp., NJ and commute
    >to NYC by train daily, so I need a service that works along the way as
    >well as in Central NJ and NYC.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Ed

    I would see about borrowing a Cingular phone from a friend, dual band at
    minimum which will include 850 mHz and 1900 mHz. The old Cingular
    phones primarily use the T-Mobile infrastructure AFAIK, as Cingular
    never owned any infrastructure in NYC until its acquisition of ATTWS.
    Newer phones with the 850 mHz band may greatly increase your coverage.

    Whatever you decide, be sure to pick a service that works for *you*.

    TH

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:07:28 GMT, Coconut <pegboy_30@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>On 21 Aug 2005 11:37:58 -0700, "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>I have been with Verizon Wireless for years and up until 2004 the
    >>service has been very good. Recently, the service has deteriorated in
    >>my home area of Central NJ and I am considering changing to another
    >>carrier when my contract expires. I can't use T-Mobile, Nextel, or
    >>Sprint, because their coverage is spotty in my home area, but I am not
    >>sure about Cingular. FYI, I live in Hillsborough Twp., NJ and commute
    >>to NYC by train daily, so I need a service that works along the way as
    >>well as in Central NJ and NYC.
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Ed
    >
    >I travel quite a bit through northern NJ with no probs from NYC and
    >beyond to my home 20 miles over the border in NE PA. My routes
    >include 80 to 280 to the Holland and also 78 to the turnpike extension
    >to the Holland. I've also done the 46 to 3 deal to the lincoln. I
    >honestly can't complain about my service at all. My sister lives in
    >Linden, which is more central in NJ and she has no probs either with
    >cingular.
    >Best,
    >Chris

    I tried Cingular last October and had to return cancel after a few
    days. Could not hold a signal in the office in Bridgewater (5 bars to
    none all the time) and lots of dead spots from PA down route 46 and 31
    in NJ.

    I got service again and kept it in April and the problems were fixed
    in the office. The other day I went down there and found coverage on
    parts of 31 that had no signal just a few months ago.

    YMMV of course but I see improvements in the Poconos as well.

    >>I travel quite a bit through northern NJ with no probs from NYC and
    >>beyond to my home 20 miles over the border in NE PA. My routes
    >>include 80 to 280 to the Holland and also 78 to the turnpike extension
    >>to the Holland. I've also done the 46 to 3 deal to the lincoln. I
    >>honestly can't complain about my service at all. My sister lives in
    >>Linden, which is more central in NJ and she has no probs either with
    >>cingular.
    >>Best,
    >>Chris
    >
    >I tried Cingular last October and had to return cancel after a few
    >days. Could not hold a signal in the office in Bridgewater (5 bars to
    >none all the time) and lots of dead spots from PA down route 46 and 31
    >in NJ.
    >
    >I got service again and kept it in April and the problems were fixed
    >in the office. The other day I went down there and found coverage on
    >parts of 31 that had no signal just a few months ago.
    >
    >YMMV of course but I see improvements in the Poconos as well.

    Thats odd, because I have no probs in the Poconos really, except for
    at my ex's home, which is in Bushkill, not far from Fernwood. I get a
    great signal all the way up 209 from 80 to Milford. Maybe they have
    done some work in the area? I have yet to test it down Route 6 to
    Hawley tho.
    Best,
    Chris

    In <svvjg1p785os2f1f6tiffmsivgdnlh816c@4ax.com> on Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:44:05
    GMT, Coconut <pegboy_30@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>I tried Cingular last October and had to return cancel after a few
    >>days. Could not hold a signal in the office in Bridgewater (5 bars to
    >>none all the time) and lots of dead spots from PA down route 46 and 31
    >>in NJ.
    >>
    >>I got service again and kept it in April and the problems were fixed
    >>in the office. The other day I went down there and found coverage on
    >>parts of 31 that had no signal just a few months ago.
    >>
    >>YMMV of course but I see improvements in the Poconos as well.
    >
    >Thats odd, because I have no probs in the Poconos really, except for
    >at my ex's home, which is in Bushkill, not far from Fernwood. I get a
    >great signal all the way up 209 from 80 to Milford. Maybe they have
    >done some work in the area? I have yet to test it down Route 6 to
    >Hawley tho.

    The difference may be a matter of either handset band coverage (850, 1900) or
    Home network (orange, blue). Many complaints of poor coverage are simply due
    to one or both issues, so you have to take such reports with a grain of salt.

    Alcoholic wrote:
    > I would advise you not to move to Cingular you will drop calls everywhere. I
    > work for Cingular for NE customer service and NJ is horrible.Manhattan is Ok
    > but your commute is going to be downtime. I have worked for Cingular going
    > on 3 years now and NJ was problem when I started and seems to be getting
    > worse than better even with the acquisition of ATT.

    Can you tell me why my Panasonic TDMA cannot find a signal north of
    Princeton, NJ (my service is based in Philadelphia). When I travel
    north on US #1 the phone just shuts off once I pass into the Extended
    Area. When I turn the phone on, it takes about 2 minutes to search for
    a signal, then comes up as "Roam" with full 5 bars of signal strength.
    After about 10 minutes, it shuts off again.

    As soon as I drive back into my home area, from Princeton on down,
    everything returns to normal. This never happened when I had ATTWS.

    In <X2sOe.10682$M3.1932@trnddc05> on Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:09:59 GMT, Jeremy
    <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Alcoholic wrote:
    >> I would advise you not to move to Cingular you will drop calls everywhere. I
    >> work for Cingular for NE customer service and NJ is horrible.Manhattan is Ok
    >> but your commute is going to be downtime. I have worked for Cingular going
    >> on 3 years now and NJ was problem when I started and seems to be getting
    >> worse than better even with the acquisition of ATT.
    >
    >Can you tell me why my Panasonic TDMA cannot find a signal north of
    >Princeton, NJ (my service is based in Philadelphia). When I travel
    >north on US #1 the phone just shuts off once I pass into the Extended
    >Area. When I turn the phone on, it takes about 2 minutes to search for
    >a signal, then comes up as "Roam" with full 5 bars of signal strength.
    >After about 10 minutes, it shuts off again.
    >
    >As soon as I drive back into my home area, from Princeton on down,
    >everything returns to normal. This never happened when I had ATTWS.

    Sounds like a phone issue.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <WaiOe.696$rp.639@lakeread08> on Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:55:51 -0400, Tropical
    Haven <email@example.net> wrote:

    >NJ Analyst wrote:

    >>I have been with Verizon Wireless for years and up until 2004 the
    >>service has been very good. Recently, the service has deteriorated in
    >>my home area of Central NJ and I am considering changing to another
    >>carrier when my contract expires. I can't use T-Mobile, Nextel, or
    >>Sprint, because their coverage is spotty in my home area, but I am not
    >>sure about Cingular. FYI, I live in Hillsborough Twp., NJ and commute
    >>to NYC by train daily, so I need a service that works along the way as
    >>well as in Central NJ and NYC.

    >I would see about borrowing a Cingular phone from a friend, dual band at
    >minimum which will include 850 mHz and 1900 mHz. The old Cingular
    >phones primarily use the T-Mobile infrastructure AFAIK, as Cingular
    >never owned any infrastructure in NYC until its acquisition of ATTWS.
    >Newer phones with the 850 mHz band may greatly increase your coverage.
    >
    >Whatever you decide, be sure to pick a service that works for *you*.

    Good advice. In addition, consider getting both a phone and SIM that support
    ENS, so you can be "Homed" on either the "orange" (old Cingular/T-Mobile) or
    the "blue" (old ATTWS) network, whichever gives you the best call quality.
    Without ENS you can still roam freely on both networks, but your phone will
    only roam on the non-Home network if no usable Home signal exists, even if the
    non-Home signal is much better.

Cingular Wireless Verizon Internet Service Providers