Pentax Optio 60

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 24, 2005 3:16:48 PM

I'm shopping for a low end P&S digital camera. Am pretty close to going
with a Canon A520, but just ran across the new Pentax Optio 60 and it
looks pretty good from the specs. But I'd like to see pics before I
make a decision, since picture quality is my number one priority.
Anyone know where I can see some? Anybody know of any reviews yet on
this camera? I searched pretty hard but haven't found either of these
for this camera.

More about : pentax optio

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:37:23 PM

ASAAR wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2005 11:16:48 -0700, salgud wrote:
>
> > I'm shopping for a low end P&S digital camera. Am pretty close to going
> > with a Canon A520, but just ran across the new Pentax Optio 60 and it
> > looks pretty good from the specs.
>
> Have you seen anything about Canon's A620, the replacement for the
> A520? Higher resolution, but the big improvement seems to be a
> switch from 2 to 4 AA cells. It's supposed to allow for faster,
> more accurate focusing, especially in low light, among other things.
> Probably much greater battery life too.

Interesting! One of the big "improvements" in the A520 mentioned in the
reviews was they went from 4 AA cells to 2. I wondered if there might
not be battery life issues.
Nonetheless, the A620 is way past my budget and looks larger than what
I want. The camera I asked about was the Pentax Optio 60. Does anyone
have any information on it?
Thanks!
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:19:45 PM

salgud wrote:

> Nonetheless, the A620 is way past my budget and looks larger than what
> I want. The camera I asked about was the Pentax Optio 60. Does anyone
> have any information on it?

It was announced only yesterday, and isn't yet available:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...

It looks interesting, but I would never buy a camera that lacks an
optical viewfinder. You may not need it often, but on those rare
occasions when you do, if you don't have it, you'll be shooting blind.

Bill
August 24, 2005 6:24:53 PM

On 24 Aug 2005 11:16:48 -0700, salgud wrote:

> I'm shopping for a low end P&S digital camera. Am pretty close to going
> with a Canon A520, but just ran across the new Pentax Optio 60 and it
> looks pretty good from the specs.

Have you seen anything about Canon's A620, the replacement for the
A520? Higher resolution, but the big improvement seems to be a
switch from 2 to 4 AA cells. It's supposed to allow for faster,
more accurate focusing, especially in low light, among other things.
Probably much greater battery life too.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:35:21 PM

wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>
> > Nonetheless, the A620 is way past my budget and looks larger than what
> > I want. The camera I asked about was the Pentax Optio 60. Does anyone
> > have any information on it?
>
> It was announced only yesterday, and isn't yet available:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
>
> It looks interesting, but I would never buy a camera that lacks an
> optical viewfinder. You may not need it often, but on those rare
> occasions when you do, if you don't have it, you'll be shooting blind.
>
> Bill

Hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. It's one of the main
reasons I eliminated the Olympus Verve from my list. Think I'll go with
the Canon A520, looks like a nice, small, user friendly, versatile
camera with the best picture quality in it's class (and in my price
range).
August 24, 2005 8:08:40 PM

wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>

>>Nonetheless, the A620 is way past my budget and looks larger than what
>>I want. The camera I asked about was the Pentax Optio 60. Does anyone
>>have any information on it?
>

> It was announced only yesterday, and isn't yet available:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
>
> It looks interesting, but I would never buy a camera that lacks an
> optical viewfinder. You may not need it often, but on those rare
> occasions when you do, if you don't have it, you'll be shooting blind.
>
> Bill

Why is it a "rare occasion"?
Are there any cameras that have sunlight readable LCD displays?
I bought a camera with a diopter adjustment on the optical
viewfinder. I can finally see what I'm shooting ;-)
mike
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
August 25, 2005 6:11:39 PM

mike wrote:
> wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:
> > salgud wrote:
> >

> >>Nonetheless, the A620 is way past my budget and looks larger than what
> >>I want. The camera I asked about was the Pentax Optio 60. Does anyone
> >>have any information on it?
> >

> > It was announced only yesterday, and isn't yet available:
> >
> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
> >
> > It looks interesting, but I would never buy a camera that lacks an
> > optical viewfinder. You may not need it often, but on those rare
> > occasions when you do, if you don't have it, you'll be shooting blind.
> >
> > Bill
> >

> Why is it a "rare occasion"?
> Are there any cameras that have sunlight readable LCD displays?
> I bought a camera with a diopter adjustment on the optical
> viewfinder. I can finally see what I'm shooting ;-)

I agree. One of the reason's I eliminated the Olympus Verve from my
final list was the absence of a viewfinder. Most of the places I want
to travel to, Italy, Greece, the South Pacific, Spain, are on or near
the water and I'll definitely spend time on the beaches wherever
possible. So a lot of my shooting will be either on water or on a beach
next to the water. Hopefully, in bright light conditions! And, since I
live in Colorado, I see a lot of sunny days here, some with snow. Won't
be a "rare occasion" for me at all.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:13:59 PM

"mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
> wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:
>> salgud wrote:
>>

>>>Nonetheless, the A620 is way past my budget and looks larger than what
>>>I want. The camera I asked about was the Pentax Optio 60. Does anyone
>>>have any information on it?
>>

>> It was announced only yesterday, and isn't yet available:
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
>>
>> It looks interesting, but I would never buy a camera that lacks an
>> optical viewfinder. You may not need it often, but on those rare
>> occasions when you do, if you don't have it, you'll be shooting blind.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Why is it a "rare occasion"?
> Are there any cameras that have sunlight readable LCD displays?

None that I have, and I have several cameras of various brands with the
anti-reflection coating on the LCDs that reviewers keep saying is so great
for shooting in sunlight. They must have some different kind of sunlight
where those reviewers live.

Much as I hate to use optical viewfinders with their various shortcomings,
sometimes there's just no choice.

N.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:20:47 AM

wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>
> > Nonetheless, the A620 is way past my budget and looks larger than what
> > I want. The camera I asked about was the Pentax Optio 60. Does anyone
> > have any information on it?
>
> It was announced only yesterday, and isn't yet available:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
>
> It looks interesting, but I would never buy a camera that lacks an
> optical viewfinder. You may not need it often, but on those rare
> occasions when you do, if you don't have it, you'll be shooting blind.
>
> Bill

The model I've seen in Australia has an optical
viewfinder: http://tinyurl.com/bbpcv

Perhaps there's different models in different
countries?

--
John Drayton
Anonymous

bitbucket55@hotmail.com wrote:
> wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:
> > salgud wrote:
> >
> > > Nonetheless, the A620 is way past my budget and looks larger than what
> > > I want. The camera I asked about was the Pentax Optio 60. Does anyone
> > > have any information on it?
> >
> > It was announced only yesterday, and isn't yet available:
> >
> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
> >
> > It looks interesting, but I would never buy a camera that lacks an
> > optical viewfinder. You may not need it often, but on those rare
> > occasions when you do, if you don't have it, you'll be shooting blind.
> >
> > Bill
>
> The model I've seen in Australia has an optical
> viewfinder: http://tinyurl.com/bbpcv
>
> Perhaps there's different models in different
> countries?
>
> --
> John Drayton

Seems so. I found pictures of 2 entirely different Optio 60's at
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_380...
and
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
The first clearly has a viewfinder, and it a Brit site, the second
doesn't have one, an Americian site. Strange.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:06:13 AM

salgud wrote:
> bitbucket55@hotmail.com wrote:
> > wkasimer@comcast.net wrote:

> > > It was announced only yesterday, and isn't yet available:
> > >
> > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
> > >
> > > It looks interesting, but I would never buy a camera that lacks an
> > > optical viewfinder. You may not need it often, but on those rare
> > > occasions when you do, if you don't have it, you'll be shooting blind.
> > >
> > > Bill
> >
> > The model I've seen in Australia has an optical
> > viewfinder: http://tinyurl.com/bbpcv
> >
> > Perhaps there's different models in different
> > countries?
> >
> > --
> > John Drayton
>
> Seems so. I found pictures of 2 entirely different Optio 60's at
> http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_380...
> and
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082302pentax_optios...
> The first clearly has a viewfinder, and it a Brit site, the second
> doesn't have one, an Americian site. Strange.

I looked closer. There are 2 different cameras, the Optio S60, without
an optical viewfinder, and the Optio 60, with an optical viewfinder.
I'm gonna check out the Optio 60.
!