• Radeon
  • Fan
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPU Fan
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2012 1:30:18 PM

Hi,

I currently have a sapphire hd4670 graphics card and a couple days ago the fan suddenly started making a lot of noise on boot up.
I've tried using CCC to slow it down but that didn't help, so I unplugged it from the card for a few hours, shut down, plugged it back in and it ran fine again, even through restarts and gaming(so the speed increased again) - it was fine until the next cold boot.
I've noticed if I press gently on the fan after it starts up the noise goes away, sometimes returning until I touch it again and sometimes not, but if it doesn't become noisy again straight away the it runs fine. I presume all I'm doing is slowing the fan so it's strange that it's fine afterwards at any speed.
I've taken the card out and blown the dust out so it should be clean, doesn't look like the fan is hitting anything and I don't think it's loose but I guess it must be somehow? Any ideas?

I'm giving the machine away soon as I'm building a new one but I'd like to get it working correctly. I could probably run it as a media PC without the fan but I'd prefer it cooled. May even buy a cheap third party fan to put on it but I figure if this one's working some of the time there should be a way to fix it.

Thanks

More about : gpu fan

a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 1:35:17 PM

may be u r gpu have dust on it have u ever clean your gpu if not clean it by air compressed can and change the thermal paste on it
June 11, 2012 11:22:09 AM

monu_08 said:
may be u r gpu have dust on it have u ever clean your gpu if not clean it by air compressed can and change the thermal paste on it

I currently don't have thermal paste or a compressed air can though I did remove the card and remove as much dust as possible though of course there could be more trapped under the fan/heatsink so I may have to remove that from the card too and check the paste.

It's been ok the last 2 boots, temps still normal. Really confused by the noise!
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 1:54:56 PM

It slows down after booting, right? When I had my HD4550, it did that on a cold boot. Would run the tiny fan at 100% for the first 30 seconds of boot, then slow down to normal. My HD6850 doesn't do that though, although I only ever reboot when there are updates, I have 10 days of uptime right now.
!