Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Laptop expert advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 31, 2012 12:18:13 PM

Hello,
I Am Building A Laptop For AutoCad 2012, Everything On A List that I Made Myself,But I Am Not Sure If It Goes Together Or Which Is Better Or If It Will Slow It Down. I Don't Want Bare Minimum Either, Feel free To Change Up Or Add Things To Make The Laptop better For Me, thankyou :) 

* 8 gb of ram

* 7200 rpm hard drive

* 1,280 x 1,024 true color video display adapter 128 MB or greater, Pixel Shader 3.0 or greater,
Microsoft® Direct3D®-capable workstation-class graphics card

* 1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color (1,600 x 1,050 with true color recommended)

* Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology


* Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition

* Internal Bluetooth Card

* Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300

* Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN Card

* Onboard high-definition sound system

* 12x Blu-Ray Burner/16x DVD±R/ 2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive

* 2x PCI Express USB 3.0

More about : laptop expert advice

a b D Laptop
July 31, 2012 4:22:55 PM

Are you sure you mean laptop? Laptops are portable computers, and while I suppose it's not impossible to build one yourself, they typically have a lot of custom made hardware that makes it very cost prohibitive to build one yourself.

Also, a Pentium 4 or Athlon might have been a respectable CPU about 10 years ago, but these days anything less than a Core 2 Duo is probably not worth considering, and a Core 2 Duo is getting to be a bit on the low end these days. You also will almost certainly never find a Pentium 4 motherboard that has USB 3.0 ports on it.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 6:10:41 PM

cl-scott said:
Are you sure you mean laptop? Laptops are portable computers, and while I suppose it's not impossible to build one yourself, they typically have a lot of custom made hardware that makes it very cost prohibitive to build one yourself.

Also, a Pentium 4 or Athlon might have been a respectable CPU about 10 years ago, but these days anything less than a Core 2 Duo is probably not worth considering, and a Core 2 Duo is getting to be a bit on the low end these days. You also will almost certainly never find a Pentium 4 motherboard that has USB 3.0 ports on it.






Yes I am Having A Company Build One But I Need To Provide Specs For Them, And Yes Laptop :)  Thankyou For The Help Appreciate It
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 6:12:21 PM

jerreddredd said:
yep, definitely confused... Laptop or desktop? PCI express is found in a desktop.

AutoCad on a laptop.. you will want a Core i7 (fast one) Lenovo Y580 series come to mind.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...


Yes Laptop, I Just Went On Autocad Website And Thats The Requirements They Gave, So I Will Be Adding The i7 Thank you,


Thats Why i Am On Here To Change Up And Make It into A Laptop That Will Handle What I Need It To.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2012 6:15:16 PM

jerreddredd said:
yep, definitely confused... Laptop or desktop? PCI express is found in a desktop.

AutoCad on a laptop.. you will want a Core i7 (fast one) Lenovo Y580 series come to mind.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...


I've been able to run AutoCAD (current versions) on way less than what the minimum requirements are.

I'd suggest checking out Clevo / Sager laptops, this one might work: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_br...
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 7:05:13 PM

What About This??? Any Changes?

*(Memory) 8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

*(Hard Drice) 1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD w/Intel Smart Response

*(Video Card) Radeon™ HD 7730M 4GB

*(Display) 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080

*(Processor) 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0

* Internal Bluetooth Card

* Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300

* Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN Card

* Onboard Hi-Def Sound

*(Optical Drive) 12x Blu-Ray Burner/16x DVD±R/ 2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive

* USB 3.0 Card with 3x Usb Slots
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2012 7:11:54 PM

shibby__ said:
What About This??? Any Changes?

*(Memory) 8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

*(Hard Drice) 1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD w/Intel Smart Response

*(Video Card) Radeon™ HD 7730M 4GB

*(Display) 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080

*(Processor) 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0

* Internal Bluetooth Card

* Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300

* Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN Card

* Onboard Hi-Def Sound

*(Optical Drive) 12x Blu-Ray Burner/16x DVD±R/ 2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive

* USB 3.0 Card with 3x Usb Slots


The one thing you have to keep in mind is that laptop hardware - especially CPUs and GPUs - are in no way shape or form anywhere remotely close to their desktop equivalents. That does look pretty good though. The primary HD will be incredibly slow though, you'll want a 7200 RPM drive. Better would be to get an SSD but then you trade speed for space.
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 7:28:14 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The one thing you have to keep in mind is that laptop hardware - especially CPUs and GPUs - are in no way shape or form anywhere remotely close to their desktop equivalents. That does look pretty good though. The primary HD will be incredibly slow though, you'll want a 7200 RPM drive. Better would be to get an SSD but then you trade speed for space.



So What? 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s ???
m
0
l
August 1, 2012 10:29:54 AM

So What? 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s ???
750GB 7200 HDD with 32GB mSATA???
500 GB 7200 RPM Sata-SSd????
m
0
l
August 1, 2012 2:08:36 PM

And What About Cooling???
m
0
l
August 1, 2012 2:22:23 PM

honestly id get a desktop but if you really need a laptop go along with what the others are suggesting

the cooling is special for every laptop but if they are doing custom, its usually good
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2012 4:13:07 PM

shibby__ said:
So What? 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s ???


Either that or get a 256GB SSD, those would be ideal.

Quote:
And What About Cooling???


Are you talking internal or external cooling solutions? Internal cooling solutions are up to the manufacturer.
m
0
l
August 2, 2012 1:20:00 AM

Whats better for my requirements?

750GB 7200 HDD with 32GB mSATA???
500 GB 7200 RPM Sata-SSd????
m
0
l
August 2, 2012 1:20:56 AM

what?

do you mean a hybrid 500gb hard drive?

the 750gb + 32gb msata is better
m
0
l
August 2, 2012 1:45:06 AM

TheBigTroll said:
what?

do you mean a hybrid 500gb hard drive?

the 750gb + 32gb msata is better



Yea Hybrid
m
0
l
August 2, 2012 2:19:27 AM

the 750gb + 32gb m sata option is better
m
0
l
!