Gtx 670 BF3 very low fps

Hi Guys

Recently I installed BF3 and noticed my framerate dropped significantl, when I ran fraps it would barely go over 40 fps.
This is at 1920X1080 resolution with everything on ultra setting. When I bought this card I thought it would peform much better than this.

My question is why is the fps so low and what am I doing wrong?

I have the latest drivers installed too.

system spec

intel i5 2500K
gtx 670
8Gb RAM

thanks in advance for any help
24 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. be specific which psu hdd and drivers have u been using
  2. also I know skyrim is not the most graphics hungry but it was running at a solid 60fps on ultra settings so I have a feeling this may be isolated to BF3. Tribes also runs fairly smoothly on ultra.
  3. Psu Corsair CX600
    HDD Western Digital 1Tb
    8Gb DDR3 RAM
    mobo Asus P8Z77VLX
    CPU intel i5 2500K
    GPU Nividia Geforce Gtx 670 (gigabyte version)

    current graphics driver version

    301.42 (I think that is the most up to date version correct me if I'm wrong)
  4. again i say be specific which hdd and mobo using have update drivers to 301 version of nvidia
  5. which version of the Nividia drivers would you recomend using then?
    how much more specific can I be?
  6. ok have u ever update bios of ur mobo
  7. nope only installed it 2 weeks ago will try that
  8. went to the asus website dowloaded the latest version of the bios for my motherboard.
    Not much difference do I have the right nividia drivers?
  9. the diver version is currently nvidia launch is 301.42whql version here check this
    http://www.nvidia.in/object/win7-winvista-32bit-301.42-whql-driver-in.html
  10. still no joy sadly
    heard rummours that the latest updates arnt working correctly not sure if there is any truth to that though
  11. apparently we are not the only ones having low fps issues with the gtx 670, imo the next set of drivers would solve these issues
  12. Driver issues with nvidia? God forbid, thought it was only AMD that suffered this haha
  13. I am trying the beta for their next drivers will see if that smooths things a bit. Funny how it is happening in different games for each person
  14. Hardocp tested using the same drivers and got much higher frame rates in multiplayer:

    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/06/04/galaxy_geforce_gtx_670_gc_video_card_review/5

    Test using single player to see if frame rates improve a lot. For example multiplayer Caspian Border is intense and I would not expect you to get over 50 fps on that.
  15. I dont go above 50 in any map and my frame rate judders every few seconds just tried beta drivers still no improvement
  16. Frame rates drop precipitously in BF3 in multi-player mode. Which are we talking about here ?

    http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/19

    Asus 670 DCII TOP = 57 fps
    Reference 670 = 55
  17. In Multiplayer Mode I dont get framerates above 50fps and they fluctuate greatly from the forties dropping as low as 5fps at times. This problem also occurs on small maps like op metro. I am concerned becasue this makes the game very difficult to play and I would expect much higher fps from a gtx 670 or am I wrong.

    Keeping in mind that other games such as tribes and skyrim I can comfortably get 50 to 60 fps on ultra mode without alterning settings.
  18. i overclocked mine and get around 80- 120 fps with 4xaa on ultra, thats with 32xcsaa + 8xmsaa in nvidia control panel, so max settings. but i use nvidia inspector and change the 32x csaa to 12x s (combined 2x2 ss + 4x OGMS (d3d only) and change 8x msaa to 8x sparse grid supersampling. and occlusion setting from quality to high quality, this is much more demanding and looks alot prettier but my fps drops to around 45 - 65 with in game msaa set to 4x , but i use in game 2x msaa and it still beats the nvidia control panel options for looks and runs at about 70- 100fps. so yes, you should be getting alot better.
  19. euansharp said:
    I dont go above 50 in any map and my frame rate judders every few seconds just tried beta drivers still no improvement


    Try this: Install drivers 304.79 and check the box that says CLEAN INSTALL. This fixed all poor Bf3 performance for me.

    Coming from 301.42 to 304.79 without checking the clean install box i lost from 5-10 % performance.

    After doing a clean install it fixed all my issues :D
  20. mick500 said:
    i overclocked mine and get around 80- 120 fps with 4xaa on ultra, thats with 32xcsaa + 8xmsaa in nvidia control panel, so max settings. but i use nvidia inspector and change the 32x csaa to 12x s (combined 2x2 ss + 4x OGMS (d3d only) and change 8x msaa to 8x sparse grid supersampling. and occlusion setting from quality to high quality, this is much more demanding and looks alot prettier but my fps drops to around 45 - 65 with in game msaa set to 4x , but i use in game 2x msaa and it still beats the nvidia control panel options for looks and runs at about 70- 100fps. so yes, you should be getting alot better.


    Jesus, man you really can tell that much of a difference with all that extra settings. BF3 max settings is just about flawless, If you can do that I would just leave it and get ultra smooth perfomance. BF3 already has high quality ambient occlusion, doesn't need the driver intiated version. Enhancing the AA and texture filter quality might be an improvement but marginal probably for the performance. FXAA in the control panel would also enhance the graphics. Still just don't think you need it, just give your card a break BF3 is demanding enough.

    The control panel seems to help just a tad with my experience. It's particulary good on certain games, like Mass effect 3 and skyrim. In any game with competitive multiplayer I tend to just max the settings in game, unless I see a side by side comparison like they have on nvidia's website I can't even tell the difference. Save your performance.
  21. bryjoered said:
    Jesus, man you really can tell that much of a difference with all that extra settings. BF3 max settings is just about flawless, If you can do that I would just leave it and get ultra smooth perfomance. BF3 already has high quality ambient occlusion, doesn't need the driver intiated version. Enhancing the AA and texture filter quality might be an improvement but marginal probably for the performance. FXAA in the control panel would also enhance the graphics. Still just don't think you need it, just give your card a break BF3 is demanding enough.

    The control panel seems to help just a tad with my experience. It's particulary good on certain games, like Mass effect 3 and skyrim. In any game with competitive multiplayer I tend to just max the settings in game, unless I see a side by side comparison like they have on nvidia's website I can't even tell the difference. Save your performance.


    im not a fan of fxaa, i have it turned off, it looks all blurry to me. you should try out the nvidia inspector settings, looks really good IMO. your right about the performance hit tho, hence the in game setting of 2x instead of 4x, still running at high fps, so i dont think im pushing it too hard.
  22. There's an option in the Nvidia Control Panel (I forget which tab exactly since I'm not on my comp), where you can adjust:

    1) Performance vs. Quality

    and

    2) Programs peferences [not sure what this is called] but this is your best bet. There's a box with a list of programs in which you can turn the settings (vsync on/off, use graphic peference, etc etc) for each program that may be using the card. On most games, I usually leave them as "force off," which will allow you to not have vsync enabled (through NCP) and use the settings you set it at.

    ^ I know some older games are effected by this option/setting, I'm not sure if BF3 would be effected by this as well, but it's worth a shot.
  23. oh try that thing in ghost recon future soldier i have gt 430 and i drag the bar to the performance mode since now the game is really optimized
  24. I know this doesnt pertain to me in any way only that i plan on buying the Gigabyte version of this GPU, but on my HD6670 (Dont hate lol) i messed around and said what the hell, and set my preferances in the GPU control panel to quality, for the most part, and for some effed up reason, my Graphics card boosted its output like you wouldnt believe, and all of a sudden i can play games on 1920x1080P...i can play Fallout 3 and New Vegas on completely maxed settings with 30+FPS and mind you that this is a 1GB card.... i know that AMD and Nvidia are completely differet in mst respects, but i thought i'd bring this up... have a go at it, you never know hahaha

    Edit: Reason i posted this is maybe the fact that some drivers have a really bad sweet spot, and a really good sweet spot in the settings panel (If that makes any sense)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Battlefield Low FPS Graphics