Sign in with
Your question

Is is normal for the CPU to make a crackling sound during installing?

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2012 1:55:29 AM

Hello people, I have a question. A couple days ago I put my cpu in its socket. I made sure that it aligned with the ridges. I put the cover over the cpu and as I pulled the lever down I heard a faint crackling sound. I was wondering it it is normal.
Cpu: i5-3570k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
:sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat: 
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
December 14, 2012 1:58:54 AM

It's almost definitely fine. That's one thing about the LGA sockets that seems to scare everyone. As long as you know you lined everything up correctly, I'd say you're good to go.

It's scary, but not harmful.
m
l
December 14, 2012 2:34:19 AM

O.k , but to just add something, I was making sure that the cpu was properly in place, but the cpu was able to move up and down in its socket about 1/4 to 1/2 of a milimeter. Is that normal too?
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2012 2:37:02 AM

Now that I think of it, it kind of sounded like it was bending or steretching. Is that normal???!
m
l
December 14, 2012 2:37:50 AM

How can it be able to move? You shake it? :pt1cable: 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
December 14, 2012 2:40:40 AM

Well, you said this was a couple days ago, so I imagine you've gotten it to boot by now, right? If you have, it's fine. It wouldn't boot if a pin was bent or the CPU wasn't in place correctly.

Regardless, yes the noises are normal. You shouldn't hear something snap and sound like you broke it in half, but otherwise "creaking" and "crackling" are fine.
m
l
December 14, 2012 3:06:23 AM

LeoMatrix said:
How can it be able to move? You shake it? :pt1cable: 

It was in the socket and while it was in there it had a little room that I can wiggle it in.
m
l
December 14, 2012 5:00:58 AM

Is this guy on the video talking about the cracking sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seu7O6IbATU

at around 7:11

Just to m ake sure it was normal, it was a quick contionous sound here is an example of its sound ( ill try my best lol) its sounded like kkkkkkkkkkkkk... not like something slowly snapping k-k-k-k-k-k-k-. Hope my example was ok. Can't be too careful.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
December 14, 2012 5:17:42 AM

Yeah, that's what he's talking about there. And yeah, the way you described it sounds right, and normal. I always kind of thought of it as like how stepping on sand or rice on a smooth floor would sound.
m
l
!