Sign in with
Your question

Computer powers off during gaming

Last response: in Components
December 14, 2012 2:23:00 AM

I just built my new computer the other day, when i run basi applications, everything is fine. Once i run a game, after about an hour my computer would just shut down. That was at first, now after about 4 or 5 doing that, it shuts down after about 20 mins of gaming. all my drivers and windows are up to date.

AMD FW Eight-core 3.6GHz
HFX R7850 Double Dissipation Graphic Card
Rosewill 650W Platinum
16GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit

Temps reach:
GPU 65c
CPU 75c
Motherboard 32c

Is 650W not enough power?

More about : computer powers gaming

December 14, 2012 9:15:00 AM

Rosewill aren't well known for their PSU's.
- Do you have a spare PSU you can test that you trust?
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2012 12:38:03 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
Rosewill aren't well known for their PSU's.
- Do you have a spare PSU you can test that you trust?

I just purchased another PSU and will be here shortly.
I did however run a game today while monitoring the CPUs temp, everytime it got to 82 celcius the computer shut down, so i have a feeling thats the problem. I removed my "Rosewill ROCC-12001 AIOLOS 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler" and took off some excess thermal paste, and tried again. Shut off again at 82c. Dont know how to bring down the temp or even if that is the problem. The cooler is brand new.
m
l
December 15, 2012 5:31:39 AM

It's obvious your cooler is not doing it's job, 82 degrees way too warm! Did you get a stock fan with the CPU, they usually do the job well. Meanwhile it's imperative you get the thermal paste right, buy some Arctic Silver and clean the two surfaces thoroughly before adding a pea sized dollop of paste to the centre of the CPU. Try not to scratch the surfaces. Make sure the cooler is firmly clamped in place.
m
l
December 16, 2012 4:33:54 AM

dodger46 said:
It's obvious your cooler is not doing it's job, 82 degrees way too warm! Did you get a stock fan with the CPU, they usually do the job well. Meanwhile it's imperative you get the thermal paste right, buy some Arctic Silver and clean the two surfaces thoroughly before adding a pea sized dollop of paste to the centre of the CPU. Try not to scratch the surfaces. Make sure the cooler is firmly clamped in place.

i did get a stock fan and if and when my PSU of 1000W gets here in two days, if that doesnt fix it, then i will try out m stock fan. i did use Arctic Silver with my aftermarket fan, so i will use it again.

sidebar question, would using a TV instead of a computer monitor drain any extra power or make my CPU work harder than normal because i am using it? because i am using my TV now
m
l
December 16, 2012 8:54:03 AM

sidebar question, would using a TV instead of a computer monitor drain any extra power or make my CPU work harder than normal because i am using it?
Not significantly, GPU just provides a signal, TV provides the 'power'...
m
l
December 16, 2012 9:02:45 AM

DZmarine said:
i did get a stock fan and if and when my PSU of 1000W gets here in two days,

600W would have sufficed, more important is the qualityof the PSU, Corsair, Antec and Seasonic generally well accepted by Tom's community...
m
l
!