I3 2100 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey all,
I just got a nice $200 gift card (shame it's AMEX) but I was thinking on using it to upgrade my intel machine. I think I can throw an additional $150 so I am thinking a $350 upgrade limit here. My question is: What CPU should I look into? I was thinking the 3770K but I don't know if it would be worth it as I really don't plan to overclock the machine (although I've heard 5 Ghz is pretty easy to hit now a days.)

I should mention what the rig currently has:

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
OCZ 120 GB SATA III SSD (I don't remember the specific model)
Corsair TX650W PSU
EVGA GTX 560 TI 448 Core FTW
2 WD Green Sata III Storage drives (using Sata II since my board has limited Sata III ports)
8 GB Crucial DDR3 1866
Win7 Pro x64/ Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
And that's pretty much it.

What CPU would be a good fit for all of this? I game typically on WoW, SC2, Diablo III, GTA IV (and expansions) and TF2. Nothing really intense but good enough to keep me happy.

Thoughts please?

Solution
3570k will suffice for gaming purposes only. Hyperthreading has a very minimum effect on SOME games, on others it offers no performance gains meaning it ties with the 3570k.

You may want to flash the bios prior to buying an Ivy Bridge....

socialfox

Distinguished
3570k will suffice for gaming purposes only. Hyperthreading has a very minimum effect on SOME games, on others it offers no performance gains meaning it ties with the 3570k.

You may want to flash the bios prior to buying an Ivy Bridge....

Solution
G

Oh I did that after the Beta UEFI bios decided to cause all sorts of hell. I have version F10 which supports up to and including the 3770K. I should mention I have the 1.3 Version of this board.

G

I'd like more than 2 opinions on this, but I appreciate the feedback thus far. I've got a good case (Antec 300 Two) and plenty of cooling going on. Couple of nice Enermax 1500 RPM /71 CFM fans doing cooling duty, as well as the stock rear and top fan. I have a nice Scythe Raesetsu (I replaced the stock Scythe fan for a Corsair one with better static pressure) that is sitting in my closet (it is 1155 compatible though) since I can't OC the 2100 no need to go ballz out with cooling it.

It is either upgrade the i3 to a i5/i7 or upgrade my aged 1055T to a 8320 but seeing as how most of the games I play favor Intel, doing that seems like a crappy idea.

socialfox

Distinguished
That's not a problem, just a word of advice, do not bump the thread...the moderators lock it when you bump it and then you will have to create another thread. Anyways you try overclocking the 1055t?

If you don't get any replies by morning (12:27 am for me right now), I'll message some people to post their opinions.

- Good Luck :)

Will you be doing a lot of video editing, media encoding, or 3D modeling? If not, the 3770K seriously isn't worth it.

A lot of games still have issues with HT, as socialfox alluded to, so a 3770K can actually perform worse than a 3570K in those situations, and just equal in others (at the same clocks).

G

I'm not thread bumping my own thread. I'm simply responding. I had my 1055T OC'd to 4 Ghz for a while, but to be honest it ran warmer than I liked (Thanks to being a 125W chip). On intel BIT I hit ~53 C during a heatwave. It was never great, and as I mentioned my chosen games heavily favor Intel/Nvidia. Running a machine with a 1055T and a 5850 while playing these games wasn't bad, but really not a great experience. Since switching over to a better platform, gaming is better. Also the Nvidia Ubuntu drivers are much better than the older AMD drivers (this might have changed, but I rarely dust off the AMD machine.)

And if any Moderators out there have an issue, they can PM me. I am not afraid of them.

socialfox

Distinguished
I didn't mean it like that my friend, I was saying if no one responds in a few hours, then do not make a post only stating "bump" , if you make a reasonable response (like the ones right now) then no one will have a problem.

Anyways what CPU cooler are you using on the 1055t? You could push it further if its a good one...

I'll be back in the morning (about 5-6 hours from now) and I'll check on the thread, if you don't get any more opinions, I can message some friends to do so.

- Take care :)

G

The 1055T? Well I used the Raesetsu at one point in time (the case the 1055T resided in was a Antec P193, so it had a clearance issue considering the door panel had a huge 200MM fan protruding from it. ) I also used a Corsair H50 and had OK luck with that. The best results were the H50 and 2 fans (I forget the exact name, I think it was Thermaltake and they were something like 100CFM in push/pull with the door panel off. Right now the AMD machine resides in a 990FX sabertooth motherboard with 4 GB of DDR3 1600 low latency memory (7-7-7-20) but took 1.7 V (per the manufacturer, Patriot). I am using the stock "buzzsaw" cooler but I might replace it with a slightly better one (the 1055T has the 7 blade fan, I can get the same cooler but with better TIM ((not the shin-etsu stuff, but some high end Dow stuff)) and the 9 blade Delta fan for $5. It pays to work near a major heat sink manufacturer) down the road. The case is a run-of-the mill Antec 300 (not the 302 my Intel machine has, but aside from some aesthetics and the inclusion of a USB 3 header, not a huge amount changed. They rotated the HDD rails 90 degrees and are use a plastic rail HDD mounting system, and spots for 2 2.5" drives rather than the one found in the 300.)

Status
Not open for further replies.