Monitor is not displaying any thing.

Balachandra

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-VM (has an on board gpu)
(initial) external GPU : NVIDIA geforce 7200
GPU stopped working some 20 days ago.
Bought a new GPU
(current) GPU :NVIDIA GEFORCE GT430 2GB
(it fits my PCIe slot and my budget)

But display never came back. Could not figure out the real problem. Display using the onboard graphics card is visible.

I tried different combinations, finally i could come to 3 possibilities:
1. mother board is not working properly
2. GPU is not getting enough power( thinking of buying a new SMPS)
3. Problem in GPU(s)

I doubt about the third problem cause after plugging in the gt 430 , the fan was working fine.

Could you tell me a more surer method of finding out where the problem is because at times i feel that the initial GPU might be working fine and i bought an extra one.

I know they are low end spares. but i am on a tight budget. It would be wonderful if i need not change the motherboard.

Hope i will get some ideas from u geeks out there. Thanks in advance.

Hi

I'd check all your cables are in places and that non have come loose when you uninstalled your previous graphics card.

Do any of your friends or family members have a PC that you can try your GT430 in? If it works in another PC then you can rule it out as the cause of the issue.

Like you said the problem may lie with the motherboard or PSU so if you can, try out a different motherboard/PSU to try and narrow down the problem.

Balachandra

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I bought a new PSU of 400watts. Still the graphics card is not working. The fan is rotating but i guess the mother board is not detecting. Any thoughts on why motherboard is not detecting the graphics card??

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
That motherboard only runs PCIE 1.0 , while your card is PCIE 2.0 . I believe they are backward compatible, but you aren't going to get the same performance out of it. Then again, I don't know the brand of your card. If it's a low profile card running from only power from the PCIE slot, your motherboard might not be able to handle it.

You said PSU of 400watts - what brand is it? Unbranded Generic PSU's will give you problems irrespective of their specified wattage.