gregck

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
This is my current setup:

XFX 6870 with 3 displays connected.

1x sony 46'' hx850 (1080P) - connected via HDMI
1x LG 32'' TV (720P) conntected via HDMI to DVI adapter
1x Acer 23'' monitor (1080P) connected via dvi to mini displayport

I cannot get this to work properly, am i experiencing this problem because my LG TV is only 720p? i tried setting my sony tv and my acer monitor to 1368x720 (same as my LG) but it still doesn't display on all 3.

what am i missing?

could it be the wrong cable for the acer monitor? do i need some sort of weird active adapter to make it work? (when just using the acer monitor it works fine with that cable, though)

Hi

Here are the basic requirements:

Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn’t be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:

1) The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.
2) The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.
3) If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it. DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.2
4) Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays.

So you will need an active adapter if your Acer monitor doesn't have a display port.

gregck

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi, thanks for the answer, however i'm still unsure what to get exactly. My acer monitor is hooked up with a dvi (male) to displayport (male) cable. This is the cable going from my acer 23 to my 6870. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OBXHPC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I assume what you are trying to say is that i will need an active display port adapter and NOT the cable i have.

Also, i am still curious if having (two) 1080p screens and (one) 720p screen. Will i need to change the resolution of my 1080p screens down to 720 in order for it to work?

DVI/HDMI have a limited amount of lanes to the GPU and DP/mDP does not. You usually can't run more than two displays with HDMI/DVI-D from a single GPU card, but DP has no such problem. DP uses different digital signaling, but HDMI/DVI-D have the same signaling and are really the same thing for their digital output, although with pins in a different arrangement, HDMI has audio, and DVI-D can have two links instead of one.

gregck

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
@Blazorthon - thanks for the info. I knew a bit what you spoke about and it definitely helps, but i am still unclear about this. Will the above linked adapter work? and will i have to change the resolution of my 1080p screens if my 3rd screen is only capable of 720. Maybe i am misunderstanding you...?

thank you very much!

If the third screen is only 720p, then they would probably all need to run at 720p. I think that that adapter should work. Also, I'm pretty sure that 720p is 1280x720. I don't know for sure that your TV is 720p or 1366x720, but 1366x720 is not 720p, at least not the 720p that TVs refer to as HD.

gregck

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
yes it's not 720p but it's also not 1080p. The stickied efinity thread says that all displays need to have the same resolution in order for efinity to work. Am i wrong to assume i'd have to lower the resolution of my (2) 1080p screens to 1360x768 in order for efinity to work?

thanks! you're so helpful blazorthon.