Sign in with
Your question

Conflicting Video Drivers? Please Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2012 4:21:00 PM

I recently put in a video card in my computer. I followed all the common steps such as disabling the onboard card that I had been using previously. Then when I booted the computer with the card plugged in, I only received a black screen while the PC booted fine and I could even hear the sounds of when I logged on. Therefore, I plugged the VGA back into the the motherboard (into the onboard card) and it booted fine and then I installed the ATI drivers that came on the CD for the card. Then once again I rebooted my PC and plugged it into the new card and got the same result of a plain black screen. So, I plugged it back into the original card and looked through the BIOS (I have a windows vista, its a Dell Inspiron 531s) and I made sure that it would boot the card in the PCI slot and I thought I would be fine then and of course I still got a black screen. My next idea is to uninstall the nVidia drivers that came with the onboard card and the computer because I am beginning to think the source of the problem is that the original drivers aren't allowing the new ATI ones to boot up on start up. My concern is that if I uninstall the original nVidia drivers, my computer would crash and not work again because they are drivers for an onboard card and I believe they control more than that onboard card and that they could have something to do with the motherboard itself. Any help is greatly appreciated.
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 4:33:40 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums

Do you see the BIOS screen at all with the new card when you switch the PC on?

Your monitor should receive a signal before windows (and the drivers) are loaded.

What card have you installed?
m
l
June 9, 2012 4:41:55 PM

First, thanks for the help :)  , the card is a visiontek radeon 4350 hd and no when I switch on the PC with the new card plugged into the monitor I only get a black screen. Sorry to not specify well enough, when I was in BIOS before I had my VGA plugged into the onboard card.
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 4:52:26 PM

Ok, Your Dell's 300W PSU should be enough to power the HD4350

Don't mean to cause offence but are you sure you have it installed in the PCI-E lane?
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:15:21 PM

Just about positive.

Thanks for the help. But, I took out the card and noticed a couple problems with the card. A piece on the end was chipped off and the parts were all a little crooked. I will be sending it back and trying again, If not, I will try again and you may see me in a couple weeks. Other than that, for now I shall wait.
m
l
!