Freezing and Overheating

Shimundo

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
So I've had my computer for about 4 months now and ever since I've had it I've had random lag spikes that sounds laggy through my headphones and if I'm voice chatting my voice gets laggy. Also my cpu usage jumps to 100% it only lasts like 3 seconds. Also I've been having overheating problems and I've done everything I could possibly think of to cool my cpu down none working unfortunately.

I have an amd fx 8150 (stock fan)

Mobo- asus m5a97

GPU- gtx 550 ti

Solution
Maybe you have a case of a faulty CPU or fan? Judging by your cooling setup I could only recommend a new CPU fan because the stock one certainly isn't perfect. If a new decent fan doesn't work to keep the temperatures down then I'm guessing your CPU may be faulty somehow.

Is your CPU overclocked? And have you viewed the actual temperatures it's running at under load? I use a program called Core Temp to monitor mine.

hyamzy

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
What PSU are you using? And what case as well? This is weird I'm using a similar CPU (FX 8120) and I've had no problems with heating with the stock cooler. Whilst idle my CPU is at temps as low as 8 degrees celcius and under heavy load no higher than 45. I do keep my room cool so maybe you need to think about that too?

Shimundo

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

I'm using a corsair cx750 750W

As for my case I have a Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID

And right now my room is 50 degrees Fahrenheit

prasadk22

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Clean vents of PC/laptop (PC- use bloweres to clean dust)
check for the hardware connections (Desktop prefered)
boot to safe mode
remove unwanted software
check for the antivirus settings
clean temp / cookies / prefetch files from pc ( clidk window + r and type temp / %temp% press enter rep same for cookies and prefetch )
update vga/chipset drivers/ if needed graphic drivers
remove / clean system restore (however not recomended )
check device manager for any conflect for drives/hardware - if any remove /resolve with proper driver updates
if no luck need to chek updating bios (take help from expert for bios update )

hyamzy

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Maybe you have a case of a faulty CPU or fan? Judging by your cooling setup I could only recommend a new CPU fan because the stock one certainly isn't perfect. If a new decent fan doesn't work to keep the temperatures down then I'm guessing your CPU may be faulty somehow.

Is your CPU overclocked? And have you viewed the actual temperatures it's running at under load? I use a program called Core Temp to monitor mine.

Solution

Shimundo

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Nope not overclocked and under load it goes up to 80c almost to the point of shutdown. My best guess was faulty cpu I'm buying a hyper 212 eve soon and if the temps aren't lower i guess its my cpu