hyamzy

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm building a gaming computer for a friend on a low budget. I've already chosen some basic parts for his system such as the case, PSU etc and he already has a fairly decent graphics card (GTX 460) but I'm totally stuck on what CPU and Mobo I should recommend as I have no experience with buying from Intel! Preferably I'm looking for an i5 and the budget would be somewhere around £140 for the CPU and £60 for the mobo however cheaper parts would be awesome!

hyamzy

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Edit: I've been rethinking the budget and maybe a cheaper i3 will do the job for current games and not bottleneck the GPU? So a recommendation of that would be great too

JJ1217

Honorable

Graphics cards are always prone to failure and thats why I believe whether you use an IGP or not, they are always useful, so you ALWAYS have a way to at least get display.

Massive +1 to this. I'm on an i7 920 (original Nehalem series i7) without integrated graphics and I can say first hand how handy integrated graphics would have been when my graphics card died. The 3450 is a really excellent CPU and it's what I'd get if I was buying now.