HELP psu will not lock in to motherboard

robotsdidyourmom

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
MOBO:asrock z77 extreme 4
PSU:CORSAIR TX650

I have had the PSU for 5 months

today my computer shut down itself I looked inside to see what happened and it tuns out the little clip that holds the psu to the motherboard is not long enough to go over the lip and lock in to place.
I pushed it in to see if i could get it to lock in but it cant get over the lip.

Is there any thing I can do about this?

Solution
I would push harder, but that's with my own hands on the parts in complete control of how much pressure I'm applying.

Simply typing the words "push harder" is a recipe for disaster.If you have a store that sells computers nearby, you might be able to get a tech to apply as much pressure as his experienced hands think are acceptable.

Otherwise, you are just risking cracking your MB.

The other option is to pic out a nice MB upgrade on line. Prepare yourself for the purchase of that pretty new board....

....Then push the @#$% out of that connector.

It will either work, or it will be time for a motherboard upgrade.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. There's just no way to judge how much pressure is too much over the internet.

Looking...

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
It's probably just not fully seated.

I really had to push to get that last little bit so mine would "click".

Make sure you support the motherboard when you do this. (I used one hand to sappurt the board and the other to push the connector in) You have to be careful not to beand/break the motherboard.

robotsdidyourmom

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Thank you for the response
How hard did you have to push to get it to click?
It really feels like it cant go in any more.

9Qk5n.jpg

HFXLG.jpg

i tried pushing it in like you said, but i won't go in any further.
see how it doesn't go in enough

robotsdidyourmom

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

sorry about the late response and every thing looks fine idk why this is happening
i took some more pictures to see if you could see anything i missed

9rJBq.jpg

uvW8s.jpg

0bsGb.jpg

0LPHo.jpg

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I would push harder, but that's with my own hands on the parts in complete control of how much pressure I'm applying.

Simply typing the words "push harder" is a recipe for disaster.If you have a store that sells computers nearby, you might be able to get a tech to apply as much pressure as his experienced hands think are acceptable.

Otherwise, you are just risking cracking your MB.

The other option is to pic out a nice MB upgrade on line. Prepare yourself for the purchase of that pretty new board....

....Then push the @#$% out of that connector.

It will either work, or it will be time for a motherboard upgrade.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. There's just no way to judge how much pressure is too much over the internet.

Looking at both connectors, my best guess is that the amount of pressure you are applying now is not enough. Maybe try working one side then the other, back and forth, little by little.

Warning: It is possible to break your motherboard with too much pressure.

Solution

robotsdidyourmom

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Ha well thanks im probably going to take my board to comp usa or something and see what they have to say about it.

Well instead of doing that i ended up just puting a large 4 pin molex connector under my board and followed your instructions "push the @#$% out of that connector".