Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU for HD6850

Last response: in Components
December 14, 2012 8:16:40 AM

What would be the best PSU for a card like HD6850?

More about : psu hd6850

Best solution

a c 1176 ) Power supply
December 14, 2012 5:25:25 PM

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 26 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. Be forewarned as there are some Radeon HD 6850 cards that require two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, many of them lack the Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, to take into account those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

What is the brand and model of your Radeon HD 6850?

There's no point in recommending a power supply that only has one PCI Express supplementary power connector when the graphics card requires two.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 15, 2012 1:39:33 AM

The standard 6850 is supposed to have only one PCI-e connection; only the ones with the 6870 PCB require 2 connections.
Score
December 16, 2012 4:39:48 AM

Best answer selected by mang89.
Score
December 16, 2012 4:43:03 AM

ko888 said:
For a system using a single Radeon HD 6850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 26 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. Be forewarned as there are some Radeon HD 6850 cards that require two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, many of them lack the Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, to take into account those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

What is the brand and model of your Radeon HD 6850?

There's no point in recommending a power supply that only has one PCI Express supplementary power connector when the graphics card requires two.

i just found out that the gtx 560 is better compared to 6850. i'm going for it. which PSU i should get?
Score
!