Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on this server build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 31, 2012 5:46:10 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week (planning on assembling this weekend)

Budget Range: 500-700 euros

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Storage server, webserver, vuze (torrent client), website development

Are you buying a monitor: No



Parts for new build: CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, case

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Parts:
Case: Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl
Motherboard: ASUS P8B-E/4L
Cpu: i3 2120
psu: CORSAIR CX600 (will use molex to sata power converters)
HDD's for storage Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB (x10)
disk for OS: vertex 2 (got this one from warranty)
RAM: I have no idea, can anyone suggest, i want 2x4gb


Location: Netherlands

Parts Preferences: I don't know which brands I prefer, can tell you the ones I don't want: amd,ati,ocz

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No video card

Your Monitor Resolution: would like full screen remote access 1920x1080 (don't know which protocol yet)

Additional Comments:
Need to be able to connect 10 2TB HHD's. (maybe 4TB when upgrading in the future )
No raid. (JBOD)
Prefer stability over speed.
Power usage must be minimum. (The price per kilo watt is €0.22 so..yeah...)
I'm trying to keep the server as quiet as possible, it will be in the room next to me.
I want to be able to stream 1080p to devices in the network. (I have a 1 gigabyte/sec network)
I will use linux as operating system (don't know what distro yet)

More about : advice server build

July 31, 2012 6:11:35 PM

Is this going to be a 4U server or is this going to be a desktop server? If so the configurations will look totally different. If there's a site you buy from knowing that will help to suggest parts.
July 31, 2012 6:33:05 PM

Have you thought about a NAS drive? It will give you the most performance and least consumption.. But I don't think you'll find anything for that low of a price range. A Netgear ReadyNAS Pro 6 (6 drives only) is $1,000 diskless. It is super quick, as I own one, and it just about maxes out the GigLAN at 92-95% on all my transfers at full duplex.
Related resources
July 31, 2012 7:54:05 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Is this going to be a 4U server or is this going to be a desktop server? If so the configurations will look totally different. If there's a site you buy from knowing that will help to suggest parts.



I don't really know what a desktop server is, I figured its just a pc that is on for 24h a day. When will the confuguration look totally different? when its a desktop or when its a 4u? I don't have a specific webshop, I will buy where the part is cheapest.
July 31, 2012 8:01:09 PM

AlexS_32817 said:
Have you thought about a NAS drive? It will give you the most performance and least consumption.. But I don't think you'll find anything for that low of a price range. A Netgear ReadyNAS Pro 6 (6 drives only) is $1,000 diskless. It is super quick, as I own one, and it just about maxes out the GigLAN at 92-95% on all my transfers at full duplex.


Yes I have looked at the NAS stations (liked the Synology a lot), but indeed as you say, they are really expensive. And if you buy them you don't even get the drives
July 31, 2012 8:08:58 PM

kevinsky11 said:
Yes I have looked at the NAS stations (liked the Synology a lot), but indeed as you say, they are really expensive. And if you buy them you don't even have the drives


And they are work-horses. The maintenance is minimum and you'll can grow with them as the drives become bigger. For instance, I have several NAS at my office and one at home. The one at home has 4x1TB and I am about to swap 2 of them 1TB for 2x2TB or even 3TB, so a simple pull of the drive and insertion of the new one and the X-RAID2 takes care of it. It automatically will format the drive, put the data back in the drive and grow my NAS as soon as I put a secondary of the same size. So my 4x1TB is really 2.9TB and at any time 1 drive can fail and I am totally safe. Just purchase/replace the damaged drive and it will automatically do everything. With a server computer you have to rebuild the RAID which takes a lot of time and effort as you have to move the data again. I got tired of having file servers at my office and having to rebuild RAID everytime a drive went down or I needed to grow it. The Windows Server maintenance was a pain the neck (so is the Linux Server, as it needs to be maintained with updates and so on). At the end, a NAS is cheaper and safer; that is what they are built for. In my NAS I am running FTP server, HTTP server, NFS, and SMB. I know they have an app for mine, as it's Linux based, for a uTorrent server. I have no interest on that so I haven't looked into it; but it's available.

Best of luck..
July 31, 2012 10:50:43 PM

kevinsky11 said:
I don't really know what a desktop server is, I figured its just a pc that is on for 24h a day. When will the confuguration look totally different? when its a desktop or when its a 4u? I don't have a specific webshop, I will buy where the part is cheapest.


A 4U server looks like this:



As far as a desktop server goes - pretty much any chassis can be configured with server hardware instead of workstation hardware.

But as far as having a store goes - I can't exactly post links to Newegg (I'm in So Cal) and expect that the pricing and shipping information is going to be the same in the Netherlands, so knowing the local pricing and what's available will help.
August 1, 2012 7:50:24 AM

g-unit1111 said:
A 4U server looks like this:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-219-030-02.jpg

As far as a desktop server goes - pretty much any chassis can be configured with server hardware instead of workstation hardware.

But as far as having a store goes - I can't exactly post links to Newegg (I'm in So Cal) and expect that the pricing and shipping information is going to be the same in the Netherlands, so knowing the local pricing and what's available will help.



Hhm, I'm confused now, I'm building a desktop server right? With server hardware?

As for the shop, I used Newegg too when looking for parts, you can pretty much replace the dollar sign with a euro sign +/- 10% difference. I can almost get everything that is on Newegg. (I use Google shopping at Google.nl, you can see the exact price there)

What do think of the parts I have selected btw?
August 1, 2012 8:07:05 AM

AlexS_32817 said:
And they are work-horses. The maintenance is minimum and you'll can grow with them as the drives become bigger. For instance, I have several NAS at my office and one at home. The one at home has 4x1TB and I am about to swap 2 of them 1TB for 2x2TB or even 3TB, so a simple pull of the drive and insertion of the new one and the X-RAID2 takes care of it. It automatically will format the drive, put the data back in the drive and grow my NAS as soon as I put a secondary of the same size. So my 4x1TB is really 2.9TB and at any time 1 drive can fail and I am totally safe. Just purchase/replace the damaged drive and it will automatically do everything. With a server computer you have to rebuild the RAID which takes a lot of time and effort as you have to move the data again. I got tired of having file servers at my office and having to rebuild RAID everytime a drive went down or I needed to grow it. The Windows Server maintenance was a pain the neck (so is the Linux Server, as it needs to be maintained with updates and so on). At the end, a NAS is cheaper and safer; that is what they are built for. In my NAS I am running FTP server, HTTP server, NFS, and SMB. I know they have an app for mine, as it's Linux based, for a uTorrent server. I have no interest on that so I haven't looked into it; but it's available.

Best of luck..



Thanks for the input, again looked at the NAS. I must say, I did not know that they could run a HTTP server and torrent app. They may be cheaper when it comes to power usage, but they are just to expensive. To get the same amount of storage, I would have to buy a NAS that is at least €1000. As for the maintenance, I don't plan on using RAID, so that makes it a lot easier.
August 2, 2012 3:55:17 AM

kevinsky11 said:
Hhm, I'm confused now, I'm building a desktop server right? With server hardware?


If you really want server hardware, you are WAY out of price. For instance, a server CPU (Xeon) will cost at around $350 for the cheapest. The MOBO for it you are probably looking at $150-250 for the inexpensive ones. Power supplies, at around $100 at least. Still add RAM, case, DVD/CD to load, and hard drives, you will end up with $1,000 server with very limited amount of HDD; unless you are not counting on the HDDs, then you are at around and the price I put is for an LGA1155. If you step it up to a LGA1366 the cheapest MOBO is about $280; just for the motherboard. So, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but the price range you are withholding yourself to is pretty cheap for a REAL server; so I think.

!