New rig no beep

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Motherboards
  • Components
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2012 7:24:15 PM

My sister had a faulty pre built packardbell pc, which had a faulty motherboard. So i purchased a new case and a new motherboard, i used all the components from the pre-built pc, hardrive, ram, cpu etc, and have connected all of the components correctly.
Yet when i turn the PC on it powers on for a second with no beep than powers down? then tries to power on again, and repeats this process.
I suspect faulty or non compatible ram? but im not entirely certain, and i don't really know where to go from here.
could someone provide some advice please.

More about : rig beep

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 777 V Motherboard
July 31, 2012 8:13:12 PM

ashmannw said:
My sister had a faulty pre built packardbell pc, which had a faulty motherboard. So i purchased a new case and a new motherboard, i used all the components from the pre-built pc, hardrive, ram, cpu etc, and have connected all of the components correctly.
Yet when i turn the PC on it powers on for a second with no beep than powers down? then tries to power on again, and repeats this process.
I suspect faulty or non compatible ram? but im not entirely certain, and i don't really know where to go from here.
could someone provide some advice please.

check that you used all the case stand offs and that the mb not shorting out to the case. if you think it a short try break boarding the mb outside of the case to see if it powers on. on older pre built systems they used there own mb and custom wired power supply. the packard bell power supply may be missing a wire or not wired like a true atx power supply. i would try a new power supply to see if it the power supply.
July 31, 2012 8:27:45 PM

I just tried it out of the case, with the motherboard on a box. and used the cases PSU (came with a PSU) to power it on by shorting the power connectors. and PSU just blew. so now im guessing the motherboard is fried a long with the PSU. this is really annoying as ive spent £85 already on repairing this thing.
and now i wont even know if the motherboard was dead to begin with.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 777 V Motherboard
August 1, 2012 6:51:14 AM

to start the mb all you needed to do was tuch or use the case on swich wire. if your lucky you can rma the power supply for replacement.