Sign in with
Your question

Issues with gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2012 8:03:21 PM

Hi.
I am a newcomer to this forum so I apologize if this ended up in the wrong category.
I need some help with my hardware:
For about a week ago (maybe more) I started having issues with my gaming pc. On approx. third year I have had no trouble with it. But as of now, I get this huge stutter in all my games - especially FPS games and alike. It's mostly when I turn and it appears after 5-10 minutes of playing.

The settings doesn't matter and the game runs smooth besides these chunks of "FPS spikes". I don't have a clue what caused this. I have tried updating my drivers, cleaned my hardware (reapplying Thermal Paste to the CPU and removed dust), but the issue persists.

It should be noted that I replaced my old HD 5850 amd to an nvidia gtx 560 about a year ago and I have switched between the two to see if my GPU was the issue. Turns out it's not. At least not solely. My Question is; What is the hardware to most likely cause these stutter issues? I am a university student with no job, and I can afford SOME upgrades, but only few.

System specs:
gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 motherboard
amd phenom II x6 1055T
Home premium
Nvidia GTX 560 (810 core clock)
8 GB RAM Kingston
Energon 750W PSU

Note: I have searched the forums for an issue and found one close to mine, but it's old: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276319-14-causing-s...

Other than that I have searched on the net for hours to get an answer, but finally decided to try here. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated! :) 

More about : issues gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2012 12:39:42 AM

Did you recently install any new software that is periodically running in the background? With a 1055T it shouldn't affect your gaming unless they both want to use the same cores.
August 3, 2012 11:29:00 PM

crewton said:
Did you recently install any new software that is periodically running in the background? With a 1055T it shouldn't affect your gaming unless they both want to use the same cores.

Hey, thanks for the answer and sorry for the late reply. I have been trying really hard the last couple of days to fix it. There was a few days where it actually seemed to be gone, but recently I had to face the truth that this wasn't the case.
I didn't install any software or hardware that seems to cause the issue. I remember running with the newest driver of nvidia a couple of days before the problems occurred. I tried uninstalling the drivers, but little did that help.

I think I saw a post about my PSU being the problem. I was asked to try running prime95 for an our to see if my system crashed. I did this, and had no issues with the cpu maxing at about 66/67*C.

Recently I have discovered that my CPU seems to throttle in games after the 5-10 minutes (sometimes longer). The max has been 72* at this point, but only when stressing my GPU to the max (99* max).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/pcstressingtes...

These are my absolute max clockings for my GPU. The CPU runs about 80% (freq #0, other freq 10-40%).

The core speed of my cpu drops down to half (1500 Mhz, multiplier x7.00), and therefore I strongly believe that my CPU is the problem.

Do bear in mind that my GPU clock (900, 810 default) and memory clock (2010, 2004 default) did not cause the throttle with the CPU. Actually, I was able to keep up steady gameplay longer when overclocking it that much.

Any help? :( 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2012 4:17:14 AM

Hmm it sounds like your cpu is throttling to protect it from over heating. I'm wondering if it is not reporting your core temps right because your overall cpu temp states 85C which is toasty. Are you using an aftermarket cooler? I'm thinking your time is based on when the game starts using more cpu power. Because it's heating up quickly.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2012 4:23:38 AM

Oooo I looked on AMD...they rate the Max Temp for the 1055T at 62C...you need more cooling! It is throttling to protect it. I recommend not playing games until you can get the temps in the 50s.
August 4, 2012 12:42:29 PM

crewton said:
Oooo I looked on AMD...they rate the Max Temp for the 1055T at 62C...you need more cooling! It is throttling to protect it. I recommend not playing games until you can get the temps in the 50s.

Thanks for the reply. I use a Scythe Shuriken Rev.B cooler on my system. My PC was custom built from a danish company, but as I needed upgrades I decided to go and build on it myself (like the gtx 560 and a new PSU). The custom built system came with the scythe cooler, which I believe is not stock cooler. As you may can tell I am new to the whole self-builder game, but I feel I might as well learn it, as it's cheaper and I love playing around with PC's :) 

The thing about the CPU's max temperature is disturbing.
I am grateful you could point at the issue! As scythe is not stock, should I be considering investing in a whole new CPU along with a better aftermarket?

The places I can get parts from is limited unfortunately. But I've been looking at one cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 (http://www.guru3d.com/article/coolermaster-hyper-tx3-re...). Any thoughts?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2012 3:23:17 PM

Ya the scythe isn't the greatest and only slightly better than a stock cooler. I have the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ which is nice and the TX3 is similiar to that. For additional cooling you can add another fan behind it for a push pull system. I love how its fairly cheap and provides great cooling.
August 4, 2012 9:16:38 PM

crewton said:
Ya the scythe isn't the greatest and only slightly better than a stock cooler. I have the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ which is nice and the TX3 is similiar to that. For additional cooling you can add another fan behind it for a push pull system. I love how its fairly cheap and provides great cooling.

Alright. I'll order the cooler when I get home from my parents' place. Thank you for the help! I'll post how it goes as soon as I get it done :)  Again, Thanks a bunch!
August 8, 2012 11:35:16 AM

I have installed the new cooler and so far the issue seems to have been fixed. Thanks a ton for the replies and the help! It's really great having places like these when weird problems like this turns up. Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 8, 2012 6:25:18 PM

Awesome! Just make sure to check your temps every now and then to ensure they are staying under 62C and enjoy.
!