Sign in with
Your question

Pc build first time.

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2012 8:20:29 PM

I am planning to build a pc which is around £700-800. My friend recommended me to buy bundle from ebay for the cpu.
I am bit nervous about few parts parts are going to be compatible or not since its going to be my first build. If anyone have any suggestion I am looking forward to it.
here is the list:
Intel i7 2600K 3.4GHz Quad Core CPU 16GB DDR3 Motherboard Bundle
Aerocool Strike-X Advance Midi Tower Gaming PC Case USB3 Toolless
ATI Radeon HD6950
500gb hard drive
750W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

More about : build time

July 31, 2012 8:33:30 PM

im sure all this will work together, i would suggest an aftermarket cpu cooler, and maybe some more fan cases, also, maybe look into buying an 80+ power supply, they're more efficient and often with cheap power supply's you don't get the power it claims to give and your parts will not perform at the full capability

Connor :) 
July 31, 2012 8:48:07 PM

I read that ebay listing for the PSU and i still have no idea what brand/model it is and it all sounds dodgy to me lol. For us to better help u
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
Also a "K" Sandy Quad, H67 board that kills OCing and 16GB Ram? Best go with that link i provided @@
Related resources
July 31, 2012 8:48:18 PM

iconnor said:
im sure all this will work together, i would suggest an aftermarket cpu cooler, and maybe some more fan cases, also, maybe look into buying an 80+ power supply, they're more efficient and often with cheap power supply's you don't get the power it claims to give and your parts will not perform at the full capability

Connor :) 

Thanks, the reason I chose this psu was it has 1 x 8pin +12v for Motherboards. I could not find any other ones with this pin, they mostly had 4pin. I am not sure if there is a cable with does 4pin to 8pin so I can use it for my motherboard.
July 31, 2012 9:02:54 PM

Is you look around for modular psu, they are very adaptable,although the price can be steep, they're worth it in the long run :) 
July 31, 2012 9:22:26 PM

tjshawn said:
I am planning to build a pc which is around £700-800. My friend recommended me to buy bundle from ebay for the cpu.
I am bit nervous about few parts parts are going to be compatible or not since its going to be my first build. If anyone have any suggestion I am looking forward to it.
here is the list:
ATI Radeon HD6950
500gb hard drive

The "bundle" does seem to be putting good CPU with very mediocre motherboard. Processor is unlocked for overclocking, and board gives effectively no overclocking ability. Do you really need i7 CPU? If you want to do high end video editing, or something similar, then good choice. If your only high demand use is gaming, you'd just as well get an i5-2500K, and use the money you save to get decent motherboard and RAM. That will actually get you better gaming performance. Plenty of advice here to help you select mobo and RAM.
July 31, 2012 9:23:13 PM

batuchka said:
I read that ebay listing for the PSU and i still have no idea what brand/model it is and it all sounds dodgy to me lol. For us to better help u
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
Also a "K" Sandy Quad, H67 board that kills OCing and 16GB Ram? Best go with that link i provided @@

July 31, 2012 9:29:23 PM

malbluff said:
The "bundle" does seem to be putting good CPU with very mediocre motherboard. Processor is unlocked for overclocking, and board gives effectively no overclocking ability. Do you really need i7 CPU? If you want to do high end video editing, or something similar, then good choice. If your only high demand use is gaming, you'd just as well get an i5-2500K, and use the money you save to get decent motherboard and RAM. That will actually get you better gaming performance. Plenty of advice here to help you select mobo and RAM.

Thanks, I will be mostly using it for gaming and somewhat for editing. i wanted my videos to render fast thats why I thought i needed i7. If you have any suggestion for a gaming pc please let me know my budget it £700-800
July 31, 2012 10:39:55 PM

tjshawn said:
Thanks, I will be mostly using it for gaming and somewhat for editing. i wanted my videos to render fast thats why I thought i needed i7. If you have any suggestion for a gaming pc please let me know my budget it £700-800

As mentioned, if you are working with video (especially HD), using something like Adobe CS, then there's a definate advantage to i7. For software that can use the i7's 8 threads, you can gain a third, or more, speed advantage. It's a question of how important that is to YOU. Either way, I do think that, whilst the combination in the bundle WILL WORK, it's a poor match, in terms of performance. Even if you stick with the i7, if you get a better mobo, and faster RAM, the benefit will justify the additional cost (assuming you CAN AFFORD that). If you are prepared to drop to the i5, it's a no brainer.
July 31, 2012 11:22:50 PM

Just did quick (I stress quick) check on pricing. If you upgrade mobo, RAM, and add CPU cooler, to give yourself some overclocking capacity, and stick with i7-2600K you will add £40/£50. If you do it with i5-2500K, you may save £20/£30. A saving might be handy, as already mentioned, elsewhere, I would be highly dubious about that PSU.
August 1, 2012 4:50:39 AM

tjshawn said:
here is the list:
ATI Radeon HD6950
500gb hard drive

if you want to check out a decent pre ivy bridge build check out http://circafuture.com/how-to-build-a-computer/

if you want, just get a i5 or i7 ivy bridge processor and a z77 motherboard for sure.

good luck!
August 1, 2012 9:44:01 AM

tjshawn said:

Hmm u need an OS/LCD within that budget? This was a 700 quid config off Ebuyer UK - if you do heavier video editing bumping to 8GB Ram would be a good move
!