Sign in with
Your question

PC Specs any good? HD 7770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2012 9:00:21 PM

Heya again

So my boyfriend has found a PC that he is considering buying but wanted a more knowledgeable oppinion about the specs of it. Mainly he wants it to run World of Warcraft well, as at the moment he is running an Old Dual core catalog PC with a 255w PSU and a Radeon HD 5450, and when he's in crowded areas and raids, it lags down to being unplayable at 2-10 fps.

The specs for the new system he's looking at are as follows:

CPU:
AMD FX 4100 Black Edition (4 x 3.60)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard:
Gigabyte M68MT-S2

RAM:
4GB corsair DDR3 1600mhz vengeance (1x 4GB)

Hard Drive:
500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

Graphics card:
AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB

Case:
Xigmatek Asgard

PSU:
400W Xigmatek

How do these specs sound and does anyone know roughly what Framerates he would be able to run wow at in good/high?

More about : specs good 7770

a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 9:12:00 PM

not bad, will run wow on high.
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 9, 2012 9:23:37 PM

It's terrible for WoW.

1. The CPU is really weak - WoW requires a strong one.
2. 1600 MHz RAM - too expensive for the build like that one.
3. Crap power supply.

It might run WoW OK on good/high settings, but it's very not optimal to buy a PC like that. You could get a WAY better one for $650-$700. For $100 more you could even get an SSD, which is one of the niciest things to have in WoW (due to extreme hard drive loading times).
Related resources
a c 86 U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 9:39:31 PM

Agreed with Sunius except for the RAM and CPU a little. 1333MHz and 1600MHz are about the same price, so I see little reason to not get 1600MHz unless it's not supported. However, the CPU doesn't need to be very high end... It just needs to be better for lightly threaded work. The LGA 1155 i3s should be superb. The FX-4100 isn't very weak, but it's not quite as good.
June 9, 2012 9:58:02 PM

1600 on a budget doesn't offer any real performance to pay more in my opinion. Go with the 1333 if its cheaper. The FX 4100 is a decent cpu for wow if you enable its directx11 option which should either be automatic or enabled through its options. The intel processor will most likely be better but its low cache might hurt it compared to an i5 or i7. The HD 7770 will be enough to max out wows settings since its not that demanding on the GPU compared to the cpu.
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 10:01:20 PM

I played Cataclysm on my C2D-E8400 + Radeon 5770 with almost everything at High and 1920x1200 resolution. Rarely dropped below 50fps except while staring at/through portals.

Blizzard games have modest CPU/GPU requirements.
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 9, 2012 10:12:41 PM

What portals are you talking about?

Anyway, if you really want to play with shadows and everything, fx 4100 will not do. i3 will be way better for that task - remember, WoW does not use more than 2 threads.
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 10:43:10 PM

Sunius said:
What portals are you talking about?

Just about any portal if I set the camera so I look at my character through the portal's swirly bitmap animation. The simple fix for that is to simply take a few steps forward to make the camera clear the portal or change the camera angle to avoid having the portal in-between.
June 9, 2012 10:52:16 PM

Wow thanks for all the advice, not all of it I completely understand but I get the general Idea. From the online store he was going to get it from you can customise some features but they don't give loads of choice.

I can chose to pay £20 more and get a AMD FX 6100 Black Edition (6x 3.30GHz)
Would that be a better option?

The ram I can downgrade to 1333mhz but it's only like £7.60 extra for the 1600.

The Power Supply I could upgrade to a 500w or 600w but it's still Xigmatek make. To chose the Corsair brand it's like an extra £50.

Do these upgrades sound better?

Thanks
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 9, 2012 11:00:00 PM

Hey are you obliged to buy from that website? There are other online shops too :) . Like www.overclockers.co.uk

How much are you paying for that PC? I would not pay over £550 for it.

And it looks like it is a bad website if it lets you choose 1600 MHz RAM, because the motherboard you chose does not support it:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Quote:
Memory
2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 1333+/1066/800 MHz memory modules
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 11:02:38 PM

That is a reasonable upgrade. But I'd get the 1333mhz RAM, so that it works with the motherboard. Also, check out the 7770 2GB version. If 2GB version is the same price as the 7770 1GB version. Take the 2GB. If not the same price, get the 1GB version.
June 9, 2012 11:14:47 PM

Sunius said:
Hey are you obliged to buy from that website? There are other online shops too :) . Like www.overclockers.co.uk

How much are you paying for that PC? I would not pay over £550 for it.

And it looks like it is a bad website if it lets you choose 1600 MHz RAM, because the motherboard you chose does not support it:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Quote:
Memory
2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 1333+/1066/800 MHz memory modules

Ohh I see, Ok, so Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 would be better then as It says it supports the 1600. £8.20 extra.

Altogether looking at £470. It's from DinoPc.
I had a Look at overclockers but they seem more expensive the the same/worse spec pc's :/ 
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 11:15:50 PM

If you can, try to get an Intel Processor. AMD's processors really suck right now.

Also, for some reason WoW tends to prefer nVidia cards instead of AMD cards, so maybe look into one of those. It might not make that much of a difference though if you can't find one.
June 9, 2012 11:31:17 PM

Yea I was told they prefer nVidia, unfortunatly it only has to 2 AMD options. He likes playing on it on my PC with the quality of my HD 4850 card. My fps is usually 50-60 in low pop areas and lower in raids but still playable.

He's not looking to run it at max Ultra settings or anything, but just to run it as smoothly as he can on a budget.
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 9, 2012 11:34:17 PM

Intel processor would really be great. That price is very nice as well. However, would you consider way better PC for 30 pounds more?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£37.40 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£19.68 @ Scan.co.uk)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.95 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card (£148.97 @ Dabs)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.76 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply (£44.87 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£69.96 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £505.44
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-10 00:33 BST+0100)

It would max World of Warcraft out.
June 9, 2012 11:41:13 PM

To be honest, that looks good to me, but I know what he's like, he wouldn't want to put it together himself and prefer to get it built by a shop. I know it's cheaper and you get better pc for less but I know if I mention that alternative he'd not want to bother xD

I however would Love to learn to build my own PC :)  Always interested me, but you can't do much when you are broke haha.

My current pc is running on an AMD Phenom II x4, probably pretty old now. How does that compare against the AMD FX 6100 Black Edition (6x 3.30GHz)?
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 9, 2012 11:49:28 PM

Depends on which one. But chances are it's faster than the FX. FX chips are very slow compared to Phenom II. Imagine what they're like compared to Intel new CPUs.

If you always wanted to learn how to build the PC - it's the right time - build the PC for your boyfriend! It''s really easy actually, much easier than to play legos!

Check these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

After viewing few videos you'll know exactly what to do. It might seem scary, but once you've got all the parts on the table, you'll see that there's nothing to fear and you'll be just excited about it. An hour later you will have a brand new PC, which is fast, and most importantly - made by loving hand and not some random computer guy at the shop. The feeling is amazing ;) .
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 10, 2012 12:26:15 AM

bexyboo88 said:
Heya again

The specs for the new system he's looking at are as follows:

CPU:
AMD FX 4100 Black Edition (4 x 3.60)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard:
Gigabyte M68MT-S2

RAM:
4GB corsair DDR3 1600mhz vengeance (1x 4GB)

Hard Drive:
500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

Graphics card:
AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB

Case:
Xigmatek Asgard

PSU:
400W Xigmatek

Most of this has already been covered by Sunius, and his last build looks good except I can't support CM. But anyway...
The FX CPUs were a real letdown when they came out. Quite frankly, especially to someone who probably isn't interested in overclocking, they suck.
The motherboard is real old tech. AM3+ socket or not, it only runs at 1000MT/s, whereas a modern board runs at 5200MT/s. It is one reason you won't get any benefit out of faster RAM.
I don't believe there's a remarkable speed difference between DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1666 except perhaps in benchmarks. In any case, DDR3-1666 will run at the lower speed if that's all the mobo supports; you may be able to tighten the timings a little.
The hard drive should be fine, assuming it's new (not a refurb).
The graphics card is decent. It is certainly good enough for WOW. It also sips juice.
...which brings up the PSU. The Xigmatec 400W is a decent entry level PSU. It will run that system. It is not a great PSU, but it isn't quite crap, especially when modestly loaded: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xigmatek_nrppc4... and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-80...
I'd choose a 380W Antec Earthwatts over it in a heartbeat (the Tom's review comment that it blows its warm air into your case is Wrong), but it doesn't suck and isn't a menace to your parts.
Oh, and the case looks solid for a cheap, basic case.
June 10, 2012 12:57:38 AM

Thankyou for the vids, I've just finished watching them, and now I really want to build one! :D  I guess I need to do some saving as I need a new car first :( 

Thanks Jtt for your advise, from watching the videos previously linked an looking at how the new intel cpu's are I can see why they are better with the newer technology.

I've had a look on the DinoPC website again and they actually do this pc:
http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Mass-Effect-i5-3450-94p13...

This has a i5 3450 in it, is it a good one?

It's got Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 MoBo which I guess just supports the 1333mhz ram, but that would be fine. Not sure what it runs at though.

4Gb ram, but i could upgrade to the branded 4gb corsair ram if it's better.

It's got NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, I'm not sure if the 7770 is better though? But it's a £17.50 upgrade to that card.

Then the PSU which is on 400w xigmatec still but can be upgraded to 500w + but they get quite expansive to upgrade after that.

All in all it would be a little over the budget at £490 standard - £521 upgraded though, but would it be a much better option, or are we looking at minor improvement?

a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 10, 2012 2:29:09 AM

For the price, that looks pretty decent. The HD7770 is a stronger GPU than the GTX550Ti, but both are considerably stronger than what your BF has now. He'll have no excuse to complain.
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 10, 2012 9:34:36 AM

It's WAY better than the one before. It will run WoW better. Just because of the CPU. Also, the graphics card is a bit weaker, but it's not an issue. It's a much better option for World of Warcraft. Though, if you can afford it, HD 7770 is really worth over GTX 550 Ti for 17.50 pounds. It's noticeably faster. Of course, if you can afford it.
!