Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BEST Radeon HD 6870 brand?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 9, 2012 9:11:43 PM

There are tons of brands and I don't know which one to get.
I'm looking for the best brand 6870 gpu.
I would like it to be "cool" and have low to no noise coming out of it.

More about : radeon 6870 brand

June 9, 2012 9:16:22 PM

MyLastWish said:
There are tons of brands and I don't know which one to get.
I'm looking for the best brand 6870 gpu.
I would like it to be "cool" and have low to no noise coming out of it.


I would go for either the HIS or Gigabyte. Gigabyte has better cooling of the two but the HIS delivers a bit more performance i think
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 9:20:30 PM

Sapphire.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 9:28:06 PM

jsrudd said:
Sapphire.


Worse cooling than the gigabyte. My Sapphire 6850 got fried on BF3 online.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 9:35:59 PM

Sapphire.

Reasoning:
Had windforce 3x 6870, was DOA, company made me reformat windows before believing me. It was MAHASSIVE very very long, not actually very quiet, (full bore was louder than stock Phenom II HSF) and for a card that touted overclocking, you couldn't voltage mod it.
Replaced with..

Sapphire 6870 Flex. 1 single fan, was cooler than the gigabyte one at stock, and at the time I bought a CM 212 plus, even at full bore (Furmark) the front 120mm fan in the front is still louder. And it allows me to volt mod..

so personally, Gigabyte really swung and missed with their windforce 6870, compared to the superior Sapphire model.

That being said dude. Go for a 7850, for the past few days on the forums there have been quite a few threads about 6870 vs 7850's and for the price, the 7850 with their cooler performance, less power draw and 2GB video RAM will keep you going for longer as games become more texture heavy, plus I believe the cost is not that much higher than the 6870.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 9:40:31 PM

teh_gerbil said:
Sapphire.

Reasoning:
Had windforce 3x 6870, was DOA, company made me reformat windows before believing me. It was MAHASSIVE very very long, not actually very quiet, (full bore was louder than stock Phenom II HSF) and for a card that touted overclocking, you couldn't voltage mod it.
Replaced with..

Sapphire 6870 Flex. 1 single fan, was cooler than the gigabyte one at stock, and at the time I bought a CM 212 plus, even at full bore (Furmark) the front 120mm fan in the front is still louder. And it allows me to volt mod..

so personally, Gigabyte really swung and missed with their windforce 6870, compared to the superior Sapphire model.

That being said dude. Go for a 7850, for the past few days on the forums there have been quite a few threads about 6870 vs 7850's and for the price, the 7850 with their cooler performance, less power draw and 2GB video RAM will keep you going for longer as games become more texture heavy, plus I believe the cost is not that much higher than the 6870.


I'm not too fond of Sapphire mainly because of so many bad user reviews. :??: 

Also, the 7850 is a bit too much for me, especially when the only game I'm going to be playing is Diablo 3.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 9:45:19 PM

HIS IceQ X. Love mine.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 9:57:03 PM

Whatever you do, do not buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it is both hot at loud. Thankfully for me I got it for $130 so I am able to buy an aftermarket solution, though it retrospect i would rather have just spent the extra money up front for a card with a better cooler.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 10:02:49 PM

Any other good recommendations?
Looking for a quiet/cool one.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 10:07:48 PM

Honestly that HIS IceQ is probably one of the best, and at that price, definately makes it a winner.

The other one to consider would be the Asus, but it's out of stock on newegg, and a bit more expensive at other e-tailers.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 10:13:57 PM

Also avoid PowerColor like the devil cause that card doesn't come even with an installation CD on which the drivers are on, let alone it runs hot but quiet and you can even tell why.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 10:15:53 PM

Alright so what would be some "recommended" brands?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 10:15:55 PM

Personally I like my ASUS HD 6870 Direct CU. I have had it for about 6 months now and have yet to hear it even under load. It is silent. The large heat sink and metal back plate perform the majority of the heat dissipation so the fan does not have too. This allows the card to run at lower RPMs while still cooling efficiently.

The super alloy components are a big plus also.

"The Super Alloy Power technology uses a special alloy formula which is highly-magnetic, heat-resistant and anti-corrosive to deliver a 15% performance boost, 35℃ cooler operation and 2.5 times longer lifespan."

I have yet to see my card go over 60C degrees.

Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUX5Mi996oY

The packaging of the product is impressive. Nice thick protective foam totally encases the card. This really gave me peace of mind knowing it was protected well in shipping. Notice how thick the heat pipes in the lower photo. Definitely larger than the average card.


m
0
l
June 9, 2012 10:21:09 PM

rwayne said:
Personally I like my ASUS HD 6870 Direct CU. I have had it for about 6 months now and have yet to hear it even under load. It is silent. The large heat sink and metal back plate perform the majority of the heat dissipation so the fan does not have too. This allows the card to run at lower RPMs while still cooling efficiently.

The super alloy components are a big plus also.

"The Super Alloy Power technology uses a special alloy formula which is highly-magnetic, heat-resistant and anti-corrosive to deliver a 15% performance boost, 35℃ cooler operation and 2.5 times longer lifespan."

I have yet to see my card go over 60C degrees.

Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUX5Mi996oY

The packaging of the product is impressive. Nice thick protective foam totally encases the card. This really gave me peace of mind knowing it was protected well in shipping. Notice how thick the heat pipes in the lower photo. Definitely larger than the average card.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Rwayne/ASUS6-2.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Rwayne/DSC02044-1.jpg


Damn, it's like out of stock everywhere and the cheapest on Amazon is like $190.

Do you think it would be a HUGE difference on Diablo 3 if I just go with the ASUS Radeon HD 6850 instead of the 6870?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 10:25:16 PM

Probably won't notice anything.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 11:09:19 PM

It looks like at 1920 x 1080 the difference between the HD 6850 and HD 6870 is about 11 frames per second.

http://www.technologyreviewed.com/diablo-3-benchmarks/

A 6850 would probably still provide an enjoyable experience but the price difference is so narrow I think I would go for the HD 6870.

You may want to look at the XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan Edition.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has very good reviews and a lot people claim it is silent. Very popular card.

Check out the motherboards.org video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PhJVZmkW9A
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 11:24:15 PM

rwayne said:
It looks like at 1920 x 1080 the difference between the HD 6850 and HD 6870 is about 11 frames per second.

http://www.technologyreviewed.com/diablo-3-benchmarks/

A 6850 would probably still provide an enjoyable experience but the price difference is so narrow I think I would go for the HD 6870.

You may want to look at the XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan Edition.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has very good reviews and a lot people claim it is silent. Very popular card.

Check out the motherboards.org video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PhJVZmkW9A



I'm not sure if that technology reviewed site is correct.
I was watching youtube videos on people using the Radeon HD 6850 for Diablo 3 and the Frames per second seems to higher then what that site states.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 11:28:18 PM

i recommend not using the xfx dual fan on the 68xx series. the fans are loud and already had a complaint yesterday of loud fans
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 11:35:48 PM

Go with the IceQ X - you won't regret it. If you can get the ASUS at the same price, it's a toss-up.
m
0
l
June 10, 2012 12:26:18 AM

jessterman21 said:
Looks like you've got a DVI input, so use that if you've got the cable. If not, an adapter does come in the box.



Okay, so I checked the back of my monitor and there is a "DVI" plugged in and a "DVI-Sub" plugged in.
m
0
l
November 10, 2012 11:28:07 AM

So the consensus seems to be between the Asus and the Gigabyte. What about the AMD reference? How does that one hold up? Same questions against heat and noise. Noise especially.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2012 11:59:26 AM

Asus is a good card. Nothing wrong with Sapphire.

Have you looked into a 7850 1gb?
m
0
l
!