Sign in with
Your question

People, give me ur PSU recommendations!

Last response: in Components
December 14, 2012 3:33:21 PM

So, my Rosewill PSU died a little over a week ago (link below), and it's been discontinued. (I wonder why :sarcastic:  ) So, they said that they would either offer me a comparable product (I think I'm done w/ Rosewill PSU's) or give me a refund (hopefully not pro-rated). I spent about $190 on it.

Rosewill PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So, I'm in the market for a new one. I don't really know all that much about the specs of a PSU. My system is in my signature block. I did a few PSU calculators and Newegg's said to get a 950W PSU and eXtreme PSU calculator said about 750. I want to leave room for expandability and what not, and I want to ensure that my system will always have enough power, so I don't think I want anything less than 800-850W, but prly closer to >=900W.

My system is OC'ed, and I'll be messing with further OC'ing my system in the future, so I need to make sure it's a stable PSU with enough power for that. Also, I have SLI, so I want an SLI certified (or at least capable/ready) PSU.

A question about PSU's...
I know you want a high amperage on the 12V rail. I'm assuming that's a physical connection. How can you have multiple 12V rails, and what's the benefit of having multiple?

Lastly!!!
Budget! Something around $200 from Newegg.com is what I want.
(I'll be flexible and go a lil above and below, but really, if i see two things that look pretty similar and 1 is $190 and the other is $240, I'll be going with the cheaper...)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!
December 14, 2012 3:37:08 PM

Oh, side note, LED's are a bonus!
Blue matches most of my system, but any color is fine!!!
m
l
December 14, 2012 3:59:42 PM

ittimjones said:
So, my Rosewill PSU died a little over a week ago (link below), and it's been discontinued. (I wonder why :sarcastic:  ) So, they said that they would either offer me a comparable product (I think I'm done w/ Rosewill PSU's) or give me a refund (hopefully not pro-rated). I spent about $190 on it.

Rosewill PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So, I'm in the market for a new one. I don't really know all that much about the specs of a PSU. My system is in my signature block. I did a few PSU calculators and Newegg's said to get a 950W PSU and eXtreme PSU calculator said about 750. I want to leave room for expandability and what not, and I want to ensure that my system will always have enough power, so I don't think I want anything less than 800-850W, but prly closer to >=900W.

My system is OC'ed, and I'll be messing with further OC'ing my system in the future, so I need to make sure it's a stable PSU with enough power for that. Also, I have SLI, so I want an SLI certified (or at least capable/ready) PSU.

A question about PSU's...
I know you want a high amperage on the 12V rail. I'm assuming that's a physical connection. How can you have multiple 12V rails, and what's the benefit of having multiple?

Lastly!!!
Budget! Something around $200 from Newegg.com is what I want.
(I'll be flexible and go a lil above and below, but really, if i see two things that look pretty similar and 1 is $190 and the other is $240, I'll be going with the cheaper...)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!

Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - This is your value PSU that I highly recommend. It's only 69.99 with rebate right now and you get 850 watts + modular design + 80+ bronze + thermaltake is a reliable manufacturer.

SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply = This is more a mid to mid high range PSU. Seasonic makes very high quality PSU's. 80+ gold, modular and at 139.99 after rebate it's still well under your budget.

SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - If you want to spend close to your whole budget you cant go wrong with the 80+ platinum 860 watt seasonic. It's 184.99 after rebate and it's one of the very best psu's on the market.
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2012 4:09:43 PM

If you think you'd like more wattage

SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply It's slightly over at 219.99 but its a platinum seasonic which is an awesome psu. 1000 watts would give you plenty of room for expansion later on as well. Personally I think the smart move is to spend 139.99 on the 850 watt gold seasonic. Gold specs are very very close to platinum so for 45 less dollars you are getting almost identical performance. Best value/performance ratio. That 70 dollar thermaltake is no slouch though. I'd be proud to use that in my system too and you could save yourself a big chunk of cash. That's an extra 130 in your pocket.

You could take that 130 sell your current SSD and get a 240-256GB SSD drive instead of the 120GB you have just by going with the 70 dollar PSU. Or you could add more mechanical hdd storage, take the 130, sell your 2x 750GB drives and buy 2x 3TB WD Red drives. You go from 1.5TB of storage to either 6TB of storage or 3TB of mirrord protected data. All by just getting the cheaper PSU.
m
l
December 15, 2012 9:07:55 AM

I still feel like you should spend 69.99 on the 850 watt thermaltake PSU and keep the 130 saved in your pocket. Buy something else for your computer with the saved 130. It's completely un needed to spend 200 on your PSU.

The thermaltake has a 5 YEAR WARRANTY. If you are worried a cheaper psu will fail thermaltake got you covered for 5 years. It's modular cable design + 80 bronze rated + 850 watts which is more then your system can possibly pull even putting full loads on cpu and gpu at the same time. It's a good psu for value minded people that need the high wattage.

I'm sure you can find something else for your computer with the 130 saved or use the 130 for a couple tanks of gas. Don't blow 200 just cause you want gold and platinum certified psu's

Cmon guys make your links pretty like mine!
m
l
!