Solved

Effects of PCI Express 1.0 connections on more recent graphics cards

If I'm understanding correctly, graphics cards that use PCI Express 2 .0 or 3.0 connections are backwards compatible with 1.0/1.1 connectors on motherboards. My question is, how much of an effect does using a motherboard with an earlier connection type than the graphics card have? I'm assuming there's some sort of loss in performance, since the 1.0 has a lower transfer rate, but I don't know what the implications of that difference would be.

I ask because I have a motherboard with just the basic 1.0 connection (Asus M2N68-CM) and have been thinking of upgrading my graphics card (currently have GeForce 9400), but I don't know whether it would be worth it because I'm not sure how well my computer would be able to actually use a new card designed with the higher capacity of a 2.0 or 3.0 connection in mind. I'm mostly interested in lower-end cards (<$150, stuff like the Radeon HD 7750, HD 6770, or HD 6790), so maybe it's not a big issue at that level, but I wanted to be sure. I'd be grateful for any info.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about effects express connections recent graphics cards
  1. Best answer
    Here are benches on the top end card. With mid range cards the performance difference is a lot smaller. On lower end cards, there will practically be slight to no difference. Some low to mid range cards can't even max out a PCI-E 2.0 connection currently.

Hope that helps :)
  2. Ya it's 2-5% even on the article tom's did with the 570 and 6950 (from 2x16 to 1x16). http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling-p67-chipset-gaming-performance,2887-9.html With the mid-low cards you are looking at it shouldn't be affected. With older builds, I'd be more worried about what cpu you have rather than the pcie slot.
  3. Thanks, guys! Everything I needed to know.
  4. Best answer selected by Agent_Flandry.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards PCI Express Graphics