GPU Temp Problem?

DrBigMoney

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I'm curious if the forum can point me in the right direction. Several months back I had an issue start where after playing BF3 the entire PC just shuts down completely. I thought it was a BF3 issue or possibly a driver issue. After a reformat and clean install I loaded up BF3....not long after I was getting the crash again (sometimes 5min into the game....a lot of times in between maps). So, I install Borderlands to get an idea of whether it's still happening and..........it sure did. So now I'm looking at temp issues. I'm running CPUID and it seems as though during BF3 my GPU gets up to the 102C/216F range.....the CPU in the 62C/145F range.

Is that a high enough temp to be causing the complete shutdown (ONLY during game time)?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Yes that is your problem.It's way to hot.As a fail safe the GPU shuts off to stop from overheating.But at that temp and if yo u say it's happened a bunch of time I would guess that the card is already overheated.If you still have warranty I would suggest sending it in for a new one.

What are your full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

DrBigMoney

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks guys for the answers. :-D Not getting louder before it shuts down.....but I don't have any auto fan adjustments going on either.

CPU: Intel i5 750
MOBO: Gigabyte P55m-UD2 (mini ATX....bought by accident)
VID: Radeon HD 5850
MEM: 8GB GSkill Ripjaw
HD: WD 1.5TB (partioned)
POWER: 750W Sparkle

I wish I could upload a picture.....I took a screen shot capture of CPUID during BF3 with all the temps and volts going on. I'm sure it'd be quite helpful here.

Again....thanks so much guys. :-D

DrBigMoney

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
The fans are working......never actually messed with settings for them (never had an issue before with custom built PC's). Here's the kicker though (probably should have put this in the first post).....I've taken off the side of the case and have a box fan acting almost as the new side. While playing I turn the fan on high and it STILL happens. Just baffling. (the fan on brings a temp drop of about 6-8 degrees on the GPU).

Here's another idea....I honestly don't remember putting the thermal grease between the CPU/Heatsink (I've put so many computers together I think it just slipped my mind this round). I have a ZEROtherm CORE92 Socket 1156/1366 HDT Cooler and they've been working together fine as I said for over a year.......just curious if that could be an issue (that's if I forgot the grease).

DrBigMoney

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I figured the GPU was good.....I'm talking about my CPU. But the temps have been fine on the CPU so I really haven't thought too hard about my CPU being the problem.

DrBigMoney

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I just blew on them again and some stuff certainly came off. I did it not too long ago and it got better (but wasn't fixed). I just kind of wonder if I did damage to it. Who knows..............we just moved into this house and it may be a little more dusty. (in the AF....just moved from San Antonio to Colorado Springs).

DrBigMoney

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

Thanks to the awesomeness that is AMD....if you have an Intel chip you can't use AMD Overdrive. How stupid is that? :-(

I'm talking about the Cataylst Control Center.It's part of the driver suite.You will have to unlock it if you have never used it before.Set the fan speed to 100% and see if the temps change.

And yes 62c is warm for a i5 750 that's not O.C.d but it's still within limits.It's fine.

http://ark.intel.com/products/42915/Intel-Core-i5-750-Processor-(8M-Cache-2_66-GHz)