I7 3770 non-k temp problems

Cuui

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Hi I have the above processor with a stock cooler on a p8z77-v pro board in a HAF XM case. I was sitting pretty using AI Suite 2 to monitor + record temps - it never went above 65 degree playing Counter Strike Global Offensive according to that software. But then I got curious from reading and decided to try HW Monitor and CoreTemp.

After about 5 minutes of playing in a full server I alt tab to see the max reported temps (in both HWmon and CoreTemp) were between 80-87 degree for all four cores. I don't think this can be good. I'm not sure what to do. I am NOT tech savvy.

My first inkling is to reseat the stock heat-sink. I am not sure if I will have to take the whole mobo out, which I'd rather not do. But if the stock cooler really sucks that much, I'm wondering if it's worth it to just get a better one installed.

CS:GO is a CPU heavy game, I've read that. And I know the Ivy bridge can run at 85C...but I don't think it's healthy.

Can someone please advise?

geekdgreen

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

http://youtu.be/XXs0I5kuoX4

geekdgreen

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
instead of a $25 cooler invest in a $80 heatsink and you'll be happy. No offence 13thmonkey i previously had a 8120 setup and with a hyper 212 and my temps were still out of control when overclocked. Currently i have a noctua nh d14 with a i7 setup @ 4.4ghz and during prime 95 stress test for 12 hours my max temp was at 67c

I'm running a xigamtek achillies, not the greatest cooler, but keeps mine down.

the $illustration was more to say that the cooler doesn't have to be massively expensive. Also try the hyper 212 on the I7, and you'll get a very different result to the 212 on the 8120. the 8210 is a 125W cpu the i7 is 77W I believe.

geekdgreen

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

lol im just saying i love the noctua nh-d14 even though i got a minor cut and had trouble fitting in a mid size case. But i will try after i find the fan brackets on the hyper 212 plus( removed the fan brackets to use the cm fas as a bottom intake)

All of the options above are good but since you are having heating issues with the stock cooler I am going to bet that you dont have it seated well. To check to make sure that you have it seated right reach in and grab one of the twist clips (at each corn) and try to pull it straight up? if you can pull it straight up than it wasnt seated well it is cause for your heating issues. Get all 4 clipset locked in place and your temperatures should be good.

Generally whenever we see mis-seating its much much higher temps, perhaps in high 90's low 100's i.e. throttling. Poor case airflow might be an issue, leading to no fresh air being used.

Cuui

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Thanks guys for your help. What I found with a little figgling was that limiting the frames on cs:go to 100 and changing some settings in Fan Xpert 2 so that the fans ran at a higher rpm resulted in a drastic reduction of cpu temps. Now it's down to about 60 degrees across all cores.

The thing I'm left with is that certain out of the box features on 1015 bios version of AI suite and the p8z77 v-pro's way of measuring temperatures kind of...sucks? I have had to drastically reduce the temperatures the fans will react to in Fan Xpert 2 because the thermal readings are false. And even at that...I have to reload my fan profile every time I start my computer up...

Thanks again.

the thermal readings are for the package and not the cores, the package will range between ambient and perhaps 45 tops, so most of fan expert 2's range is pointless, you have the entire fan speed range reacting across 5-6C (mine idles at 35 and maxes at 41 for package).