Sign in with
Your question

NEED HELP WITH VIDEO CARD!

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2012 10:47:11 PM

Building my first computer today, anyway.
This is what I've got so far..

Am I suppose to plug the PCI-E power cable into the GPU card, and is it okay that I have 1 little remainder.

I plugged in a 8 pin and a 6/8 pin power cable into the card.
Was wondering if it's okay to have 2 little pins left over, pretty sure it is, but just to confirm before the test boot..
Using a gtx 670 card and AX650 power supply by corsair.

Progress so far...

More about : video card

a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 10:49:14 PM

Perfectly normal. Just avoid touching the contacts of the card.
m
l
July 31, 2012 11:44:11 PM

I connected an HDMI cable to the monitor and the video card but keep getting a no signal on my monitor when test booting.

The Gtx's fans spin fine, so does the Cpu's heatsink fan.

Currently have power cables connected to my Card and the Motherboard it self.

Any help on this?

I don't usually use HDMI, always have used VGA..
I set my monitor to HDMI mode, still nothing.(Just went out and purchased the HDMI to HDMI cable, not sure if the cable could be the issue..

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:03:01 AM

Super High-End video cards tend to have 8pin connectors. Or 8pin + 6pin connectors. As a result many Power Supply Manufactures will have a 2 pin add on that will allow you to convert a 6pin in to an 8 pin.

If you have a card with 6 pin connectors then don't use the 2 pin. Just tuck it aside.

I would never use VGA. You should use DVI or better. HDMI is preferable as your will get the best visuals.
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:05:23 AM

Just a note here, Your CPU cooler is sideways
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:12:39 AM

rwayne said:
Super High-End video cards tend to have 8pin connectors. Or 8pin + 6pin connectors. As a result many Power Supply Manufactures will have a 2 pin add on that will allow you to convert a 6pin in to an 8 pin.

If you have a card with 6 pin connectors then don't use the 2 pin. Just tuck it aside.

I would never use VGA. You should use DVI or better. HDMI is preferable as your will get the best visuals.

How do I fix this screen issue though, I keep seeing a blue screen stating "HDMI - No signal"
I used VGA before because I always just used this monitor with my laptop.

Still getting this blue screen issue, am I missing a power cable on something?
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:12:52 AM

Shockattackr said:
Just a note here, Your CPU cooler is sideways

Which way should it be facing :( 
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:15:51 AM

rotate it 90 degrees (turn it so your fan is facing the ram)
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:16:49 AM

Shockattackr said:
rotate it 90 degrees (turn it so your fan is facing the ram)

Should I leave the thermal paste on as it is?
Or reapply?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:27:59 AM

xogecko said:
How do I fix this screen issue though, I keep seeing a blue screen stating "HDMI - No signal"
I used VGA before because I always just used this monitor with my laptop.

Still getting this blue screen issue, am I missing a power cable on something?
It is most likely a monitor setting. I am guessing you need to select a different monitor input.

Find the menu or input button on your monitor and keep toggling through it until you get to HDMI (if you have an HDMI cable hooked up) or DVI ( if you have DVI cable hooked up.)
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:28:57 AM

rwayne said:
It is most likely a monitor issue. I am guessing you need to select a different monitor input.

Find the menu or input button on your monitor and keep toggling through it until you get to HDMI (if you have an HDMI cable hooked up) or DVI ( if you have DVI cable hooked up.)

Already stated that I changed the input to HDMI before trying this on the monitor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 1:49:30 AM

Disable any on-board graphics, and set PEG (PCI-Express) to boot as the first option. Then reboot and make sure the monitor is set to HDMI. And yes, the fan should be facing the RAM sticks, if you do move it, you should reapply thermal paste and clean off the old gunk.
m
l
!