Laptop comes on only sometimes

SolidHelix

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Hello,

My mother's Asus G73J might have had a power surge. It was working fine until last weekend when my parents were at their cabin. The cabin is powered by a 3000W generator. Dad was using a skill saw and tripped the generator. Now the laptop wont power on at all. well occasionaly it will power on fine and load up into windows but for the most part the power button does nothing. when it does come on, it usually don't make it to post before it shuts off. I've eliminated the possibility of the brick being fried, though it still may be, it is still like it on a full battery. Is there anything that can be done to fix it?

ryanrich83

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
If you haven't tried it yet, do a hard reset.

Pull battery and charger, hold power button down for about 15 seconds. Reseating the drive and memory never hurt either. Try booting with and without the battery in.

If no go after that, and you've verified that the ac adapter is still good, you are looking at motherboard issues.

You might be able to fix it with a new power board, but on most laptops this is part of the main board, and if that is the case... Good luck. Not sure how much your laptop cost when purchased, but repairing the issue might not be worth the cost/hassle of a repair.

Hope this helps.