New build help wont turn on

clcpooz

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hey everyone just built my first computer but it wont turn on and I dont know why. The green light on the motherboard is on and I'm 99% sure that everything is installed correctly. I used the spacers for the Mobo installation and i have both the 24 pin and 8 pin connector plugged in I do however only have 4 of the 8 pins plugged in but the manual said i should do that. I have no idea what could be wrong I follow the manual for every step. if you might have a clue as to why let me know

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
What beeps do you hear when you turn it on? It would also help by giving your hardware.

As it's your first computer, the common mistake is not putting your ram in all the way. I recommend taking them out and parting the ram holders and then pushing the ram sticks in until you hear a large snap and the holders grabbing the ram stick. I'd also try just one ram stick at a time in case you have a bad stick.

clcpooz

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

fx 6 core AMD
fx am3+ motherboard
raidmax 500 watt power supply
EVGA 560se
8 gigs aries ram
samsung dvd drive
raidmax Aeolus Case
500gb western digital hard drive

Im pretty sure the ram is in all the way the plastic holders are snapped onto them, I went over the checklist for troubleshooting from this website and I couldnt find anything. The beeps you speak of don't sound on my system when i press the power button all I get is the green light form the motherboard when i turn on the power supply

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
What is your exact motherboard? It should make beep noises depending on the error code. Also, do you have your display coming out of the motherboard or the video card?

The holders being snapped around the ram doesn't mean the ram is in. I'd take them out and push them in until the holders are forced around the sticks. I'd also take your graphics card out and try to start in case your psu can't provide enough power.

clcpooz

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

I pushed the ram in all the way the holders are forced around them . I went over every single troubleshooting possibility and nothing changed. I rebuilt the computer and all I got it to do was run for 5 seconds then turn off and never start again. I took everything out except the motherboard, cpu, psu, and power button for the case to test them and nothing started. I think it is either the PSU or the motherboard. The green light comes on the motherboard so i dont know if there is any problem with it. The motherboard is an ASUS M5A97. There are no loose screws and everything is set right with the motherboard. I want to know what you think. I even did the paper clip trick and the power supply ran

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Ok, now we've got the board! That board doesn't have onboard graphics so you'll have to have the graphics card, but we'll get to that later. You are getting a green light that is not flashing, but you did mention that you only connected 4pin instead of the 8pin cpu. Have you tried it connecting the full 8 pin? You also didn't mention keeping the RAM in for your breadboarding, make sure a stick is in. Also, I'd reset your bios on your motherboard by taking the battery out of your motherboard for 30sec and then putting it back in. Let me know if that works >.< Oh and do you happen to have a spare psu in case the above doesn't work?

clcpooz

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
just did everything you said and it still wont start. when i did the breadboard setup i had the motherboard, cpu/cpufan, powersupply, one stick of ram, and the power button from the case connected, i think i even tried it with the gpu at one point. I have tried everything and now im waiting for a friend to lend me a power supply. The 4 pin i have in but i tried the 8 as well. The problem is the connectors dont match for a full 8 only one cord has the correct square and half circle pattern. I pulled the battery and waited put it back in and nothing. Im at the point where i just want to know which part to return to newegg

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
That's odd. I'd ask if you were putting in the PCIe instead but that is a 6+2 and not a 4+4...and I don't think you can get it confused with any other cords...can one be moved one direction and another the other way to make it fit or it just doesn't at all? Messed up I say!

Latest posts