Is the AMD FX 8350 good for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flomps

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
i have more or less decided im getting it but is it good fo gaming? can it handle games like battlefield 3 etc on medium-high settings. im going to do a lot of multitasking in the background but this is the main thing.

is it any better than the i5 3470 or I5 3570K? i dont care about performance per watt or overall price, just how fast it performs

EDIT: this time for performance per watt and overall price, is it any better then the i7 3770k cpu?

Flomps

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

but wouldnt the fact that amd fx 8350 has 8 (albeit not true) cores mean that it is must better at multithreading and multitasking

grumbledook

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Yes, but games rarely utilize more than 4 cores. If your primary focus is gaming then an i5 will be a better choice. If you're planning to use much multithreaded work and also gaming then the 8350 will be the better choice. Either will game fine though, it will be the gpu that limits you the majority of the time.

popeyejohnson

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
intel has better ipc count, amd has better core count, both overclock well, for gaming though its ipc that matters so i5>8350 for gaming but for multithreaded apps photoshop/video transcoding 8350>i5
my oppinion anyways, some one will come with graphs in a mo ;)

Flomps

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
i do loads of gaming, and loads of multitasking as well, which processor has the best balance between the two? ive checked benchmarks but its better hearing the opinion of a human

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
As you can tell there is much debate over this very topic. I would suggest the 8350 as the more well rounded for a couple of reasons.

First, yes, there is a difference in the gaming performance. Are you going to notice it in more than a couple games, no. The majority of games are going to be limited by your GPU. Long story short no one is going to solve any gaming bottlenecks by going from an 8350 to an i5.
Second, you will notice a difference between the two when you start getting into multithreaded apps.
The things that Intel has a clear advantage in right now is per clock performance and power consumption.

Just look at the benchmarks. Is it good enough yes but is is great no. Personally goog enough isn't good enough for me. If I didn't have the money right away I would save up and get the better, faster I5.

battlefield%203%201920.png

battlefield%203%202560.png

skyrim%201920.png

skyrim%202560.png

world%20of%20warcraft%201920.png

world%20of%20warcraft%202560.png

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Let me tell ya something kid. The FX 8350 works Fine for gaming. The i5 does perform better, but only in single threaded games. Multi threading is the future. The FX performs great in games like FC3, BF3 and even does well in Metro 2033. The FX 8350 spanks the i7 in multi-threading xD

No it really doesn't. In single threaded programs it gets stomped by the I5 plain and simple and you can easily see that in the benchmarks . Everything else you said is compleatly pointless and irrelevant. The future is going to more threads but we are not near that point and games are even further. Games still only use two core and the few that actually do use four cores are few and far between. By the time we hit the point of games actually start using more cores and threads the Piledriver will long be dead and gone. Stop with the future BS and look at the present. The I5 is clearly the better CPU especially for gaming. Like I said if you like buying something that is good enough I don't really care but I don't see the point of buying a CPU no on impulse when you can save up another mere hundred dollars and get the far better I5.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Lol, I remember when the i7 was hot shizz and intel fanboys were saying, "Multi-threading is the future" but now that AMD made decent multi-threaded CPU, the bandwagoners say, "Games only use 2-4 cores." If that was true, most modern games wouldn't be doing well on a vishera CPU. Infact. the FX processor still provides Stable FPS. Intel is king, but for the overall price, AMD is cheaper... And provides an upgrade path to Steamroller. Some of us don't have a Mere Hundred Dollars. The FX 8350 is right on the i5 and i7's a$$ in most benchmarks. Except skyrim lol.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Performance per watt, the i7 is better. *edit so these guys don't get me wrong* If you want decent performance and multithreading, FX 8350 is what you want. But if if you want THE BEST, go i7 if you can afford it. I say, Go for which one you want most, you won't be disappointed either way.

Yea and it's cheaper for a reason. If the so called 8 core Bulldozer and Piledriver performed to the same level as an I5 it would be priced accordingly. As for this part
"Games only use 2-4 cores." If that was true, most modern games wouldn't be doing well on a vishera CPU.
"IF that is true" it is true because the Piledriver doesn't do as good in gaming. Your comment just contridicted your whole argument and just confimed what I said and what the benchmarks show. There is a reason Piledriver is cheaper compared to Intel. Maybe if people would lay off the beer and Mc Donalds they would see they can pretty quickly make up the difference and get a much better computer.

lengcaifai

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
get quad gtx680 or quad hd7970 1st before u can see any noticeable difference between i5 3570k and fx8350

a pentium g860 can be a capable cpu for gaming when u have a decent graphic card

unless u have insanely powerful graphic card setup, both cpu will work just fine in most game, few games might favour one or each other, but the difference is very marginal

Are you on drugs there is no point in getting three or four high-end video cards. That would be close to 2000 dollars and no game is really going to use four high-end video cards, most games are fine on one high-end video card.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

LOL! I get your drift though...

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
FX 8350 is almost as good as i5 in games but there's some games that loves Intel's platform i.e Skyrim and a few others. AMD is in a bad position right now and if you don't mind a few FPS less in a few games then go for the FX to help them out. We sure need AMD to deter Intel from total monopoly of the market.

Intel is king and there's no denying it but AMD is evolving what the CPU is and I like how they're the ones bringing forth this new arch of theirs while Intel is too conservative and don't like innovation too much.

If you don't mind AMD 's bottomline then ignore my post.

Flomps

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
hey guys, thanks for the help. the thing is i can find an fx 8350 and an i5 at the same price, but i dont know which one to choose. why? because ive already chosen my components for the fx 8350 but want to see if its worth the money.

i'd probably do web developing, (using Dreamweaver CS6) and a few others, playing games such as BF3 and FPS'S ill be playing skyrim too, and minecraft. ill be video editing/rendering (only a tiny bit though), surfing the internet, and making applications/programs, and watching 1080p videos all on a 1080p screen. all at the same time , Sometimes, normally just googlechrome and 1 other application. with a RADEON HD 7770 (upgrading to 7970 soon) so. after hearing my long list of thigs which would be better.

Thanks,

P.S: my relative has an I5 3470 and i dont find it as fast as i like, heck it cant even play minecraft on high settings without stuttering with massive fps drops.

EDIT: the I5 3570K is 10 pounds more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS