New windows install, ATI 6850 seriously underperforming

carpat

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I've recently reinstalled windows 7, and I'm getting terribly performance from my graphics card.

I haven't had time to play any games in a while, but today I booted up Metro 2033 and am getting 25 fps with high setting with Dx11.

So I ran 3DMark 11, and my graphics score is just under 1000, while other scores on their site for the same card are in the 2300+ range. My CPU score is comparable to the ones on the site (I5-2500K).

My cpu stays at a steady 25%, with all cores running evenly. According to CCC the card is clocking up properly when rendering.

I've attempted to uninstall my drivers, remove any files with driver sweeper, and reinstall, but the scores are the same. I seem to recall this happening some months ago on my old install, but I don't remember if I ever fixed it, or how.

Any thoughts?

carpat

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

Nope, same results. I also tried putting in a brand new psu as mine was kind of old, but that didn't help.

what resolution are you playing at. if your playign at 1920x1080, thats extremely normal. as even the gtx 680 has problems with 1920x1080

Fortunately we've got standardized metrics such as 3DMark so we can go from guessing whether it is normal or not to knowing that my results are 2/5ths of the lowest results from the same card, and thus extrapolating that something is wrong.

3dmark is not a good system of checking and is flawed. o_O, because several factors can come into play with scores(hard drive, cpu, gpu etc), where the best way to see how something works is actually apply the card in question on the game settings on a computer and publish the info online. metro 2033 is a common benchmark game and several gpus suffer in it at max settings.

carpat

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Ok, in that case: I played Skyrim before, on max settings I was getting decent fps (40ish). If I load it up now I get 5-6 fps. Even if I lower my settings all the way I get 5-6 fps. My cpu stays at around 60% with all the cores running evenly. This started happening before, several months ago, and I somehow got it fixed but don't remember how. Around the same time, I couldn't run Crysis 2 with decent fps and whatever I did to fix Skyrim fixed Crysis as well. I don't have it installed, but if I boot it up I'm willing to bet it will run poorly.

if its not the drivers fault, there can possibly be something wrong with the gpu physically,(internal part breaking apart, card overheating). incorrect clocks due to software malfunction. an odd problem with a psu magically not supplying enough power to the gpu. possible a flawed pci express slot. really it can be just about anything if you cannot pin point the problem

carpat

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I guess you're right. After all, if I take my car to a track to get its top speed tested, if on the track its top speed is 30MPH, that doesn't matter. What matters is how well it drives in real world conditions....

And I'm not talking about minor score differences, like 1000 vs 1100. I'm getting drastically lower scores, 40% of the lowest score published on 3dmark.com. This means that SOMETHING, somewhere, is ******* up big time.