First build; need compatibility check

zamboneh

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I am in the intermediate stages of building my new machine, with about half the parts purchased. However, and I regret not doing this, I am paranoid about everything not working together, so I am requesting a check on that.

I also do not want to switch RAM, CPU, or GPU. Those are all effectively set in stone. I am willing to switch motherboards and power supplies, as long as they are in the same price range (I'm already close to my budget, which is around $800-900).

So here it is:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
Not switching this.

Heatsink: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

Power: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
If I must switch this, I desire a modular unit, to keep the inside tidy.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1600
If I must switch this, I want 8gb DDR3-1600.

Graphics: Powercolor PCS+ 7850 2GB
I don't want to switch this out, because I want a 7850 with 2 DVI outs. This was the only one I could find.

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
I already have this from my current machine (the one I'm using right now) and want to roll it over to my new one. In other words, I'm not buying a hard drive.

Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS OEM
I just need one that reads/writes DVDs.

Case: NZXT Guardian Blue
I am really hoping this isn't a problem, as A) I already bought it, B) it's got the temp readouts, and C) I admire the design.

My initial concerns are these:
- I've never needed a PCIe power connector, do the 7850 and M12II have the right connectors for that?
- I know next to nothing about motherboard chipsets or what they do, but my basic understanding leads me to believe my choices there are compatible. Am I correct?

Once again, I'm pretty set in stone about the parts involved, and I have the case, motherboard, CPU, heatsink, and power supply on their way already, so I'm really hoping I don't have to swap out too much.

I know what kind of information Tom's produces, so I'm anxious to get an expert's opinion on my build. Thanks in advance!

Solution
G

yes.
PowerColor HD 7850 PCS+ 2 GB
The card requires a single 6-pin PCI-Express power connector.
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin

the motherboard and cpu is compatible but to overclock the cpu you need a Z77 or Z75 motherboard like this:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $124.99
G

yes.
PowerColor HD 7850 PCS+ 2 GB
The card requires a single 6-pin PCI-Express power connector.
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin

the motherboard and cpu is compatible but to overclock the cpu you need a Z77 or Z75 motherboard like this:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $124.99

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Build looks fine to me. The only thing I would have changed out would have been the CPU cooler. I would have gone with something just a bit better than the 212 +. Maybe the 212 Evo. Ivy chips just run a bit warmer than the Sandy Bridge chips do and the extra cooling might be the difference between a 4.2Ghz overclock and a 4.4Ghz overclock. Nothing you will ever notice in reality.

Other than that everything looks great. Power supply is a great unit with no connection issues at all.

Edit: Looniam is right, you can't overclock with that board.

zamboneh

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I didn't really have much intention of overclocking; if I did, it would be minimal (to 3.8 - 4 perhaps), which is also why I chose the Hyper 212+: cheap and a good cooler for small OC's. But if H77 boards do not support that, I couldn't really care less, and I have a better cooler than stock to cool down the (apparently) warm-running Ivy Bridge.

Now it also came to my attention, through friends, that 620W might not be beefy enough for this particular build. :sarcastic: I say otherwise, citing numerous wattage calculators. Any advice there, too?

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

620w is more than enough for your build. 500w would probably be good enough for your build.

TRENDING THREADS