Solved

First build; need compatibility check

I am in the intermediate stages of building my new machine, with about half the parts purchased. However, and I regret not doing this, I am paranoid about everything not working together, so I am requesting a check on that.

I also do not want to switch RAM, CPU, or GPU. Those are all effectively set in stone. I am willing to switch motherboards and power supplies, as long as they are in the same price range (I'm already close to my budget, which is around $800-900).

So here it is:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
Not switching this.

Heatsink: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

Power: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
If I must switch this, I desire a modular unit, to keep the inside tidy.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1600
If I must switch this, I want 8gb DDR3-1600.

Graphics: Powercolor PCS+ 7850 2GB
I don't want to switch this out, because I want a 7850 with 2 DVI outs. This was the only one I could find.

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
I already have this from my current machine (the one I'm using right now) and want to roll it over to my new one. In other words, I'm not buying a hard drive.

Optical drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS OEM
I just need one that reads/writes DVDs.

Case: NZXT Guardian Blue
I am really hoping this isn't a problem, as A) I already bought it, B) it's got the temp readouts, and C) I admire the design.

My initial concerns are these:
- I've never needed a PCIe power connector, do the 7850 and M12II have the right connectors for that?
- I know next to nothing about motherboard chipsets or what they do, but my basic understanding leads me to believe my choices there are compatible. Am I correct?

Once again, I'm pretty set in stone about the parts involved, and I have the case, motherboard, CPU, heatsink, and power supply on their way already, so I'm really hoping I don't have to swap out too much.

I know what kind of information Tom's produces, so I'm anxious to get an expert's opinion on my build. Thanks in advance!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first build compatibility check
  1. Best answer
    zamboneh said:

My initial concerns are these:
    - I've never needed a PCIe power connector, do the 7850 and M12II have the right connectors for that?

yes.
    PowerColor HD 7850 PCS+ 2 GB
    The card requires a single 6-pin PCI-Express power connector.
    SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
    PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin
    zamboneh said:

- I know next to nothing about motherboard chipsets or what they do, but my basic understanding leads me to believe my choices there are compatible. Am I correct?

the motherboard and cpu is compatible but to overclock the cpu you need a Z77 or Z75 motherboard like this:
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $124.99
  2. Build looks fine to me. The only thing I would have changed out would have been the CPU cooler. I would have gone with something just a bit better than the 212 +. Maybe the 212 Evo. Ivy chips just run a bit warmer than the Sandy Bridge chips do and the extra cooling might be the difference between a 4.2Ghz overclock and a 4.4Ghz overclock. Nothing you will ever notice in reality.

Other than that everything looks great. Power supply is a great unit with no connection issues at all.

Edit: Looniam is right, you can't overclock with that board.
  3. I didn't really have much intention of overclocking; if I did, it would be minimal (to 3.8 - 4 perhaps), which is also why I chose the Hyper 212+: cheap and a good cooler for small OC's. But if H77 boards do not support that, I couldn't really care less, and I have a better cooler than stock to cool down the (apparently) warm-running Ivy Bridge.

Now it also came to my attention, through friends, that 620W might not be beefy enough for this particular build. :sarcastic: I say otherwise, citing numerous wattage calculators. Any advice there, too?
  4. Best answer selected by Zamboneh.
  5. That power supply is sufficient for your computer even if you were to add a second graphics card.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
  6. zamboneh said:
    I didn't really have much intention of overclocking; if I did, it would be minimal (to 3.8 - 4 perhaps), which is also why I chose the Hyper 212+: cheap and a good cooler for small OC's. But if H77 boards do not support that, I couldn't really care less, and I have a better cooler than stock to cool down the (apparently) warm-running Ivy Bridge.

Now it also came to my attention, through friends, that 620W might not be beefy enough for this particular build. :sarcastic: I say otherwise, citing numerous wattage calculators. Any advice there, too?

620w is more than enough for your build. 500w would probably be good enough for your build.
  7. Wonderful, thank you all for the info!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product