Before I order, what do you think of this i5 3570 build?

shadyj

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
I am about to do a big upgrade on my computer, and I was hoping to get a critique on this build from more experienced hardware guys. I want a QUIET gaming pc, and I do not intend to overclock. However, I do want to keep the CPU extra cool for some serious long term reliability. What do you guys think of this, anything you would do differently for roughly the same price?

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-128-543&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=5#scrollFullInfo

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233

processor heatsink/fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-608-019&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Memory+%28Desktop+Memory%29-_-Corsair-_-20233280

Video card: I'm going to wait for the Geforce 660s to come out, supposedly they are only a couple weeks away.

Hard drive: I am going to do a 128 GB SSD, but I haven't determined which one yet. Any selection advice here is appreciated, and reliability is more important for me than speed on this.

I already have the case and PSU. The memory is NOT on the compatibility list for that motherboard, that list is here: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z77-d3h.pdf
Do you think this memory might be a problem for that motherboard? Also do you think that heatsink and fan will have enough clearance for the memory? Any help is appreciated!

Hi.. If you're not overclocking (and you can't with a non-K CPU), theres no point in getting a CPU cooler, the cooler that comes with the CPU is perfectly adequate for handling the cooling needs. If you're still concerned, you can get one far cheaper than that Noctua cooler, like a CoolerMaster 212+ for $20.

16GB of RAM is major overkill. Take it from me, I bought 16GB too since I'm a huge multitasker, try as I might, I cant manage to use 6GB in Windows Task Manager. 8GB is absolutely plenty.

I really don't expect 660 to really be that much better than options already available, even GTX 670/680s got owned (albeit very slightly) by the already existing AMD 7970 with their recent drivers update. Now, I'm sure that Nvidia will come back with drivers updates of their own that increase performance, but the point is, really its probably not worth the wait. But if you want to, 2 weeks isn't that bad. But I wouldn't expect the 660 to be leaps and bounds ahead of already existing products. This is typical of computer advancements, they're done in baby steps, rarely vast leaps.

For SSDs Crucial M4s are decent choices.

Memory not being on a mobos compatbility list really doesn't say much. There are thousands of models, iterations and clock speeds. If you look at the top of the list it will tell you theres no way they can verify them all. Its pretty rare to see a DDR3 module thats not compatible, this is a problem worked out over 10 years ago. I will say however with Intel CPUs it is mandatory that you use 1.5volt DDR3. So thats the only thing you really have to be concerned about.

I would consider this RAM kit instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231426

shadyj

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Thank you for the response!

I think you might be right about the RAM, especially since many of the programs I use are older 32 bit ones, and thus not really memory hogs. Any reason why you recommend that G.Skill brand over the Corsair? Also, why do these memory modules need such aggressive names! "Vengeance", "Ripjaw X", "Viper Xtreme"- shopping for memory is going to give me nightmares! Also I see that the DDR 1600 Ripjaw X speed memory is actually cheaper than the 1333 ones due to a rebate at the moment.

As for the heatsink, I read a comment on the newegg feedback that motherboard wasn't holding up a heavier heatsink very well (212 EVO), in fact it was tearing out the CPU socket from the motherboard PCB. That Noctua one is much lighter and very quiet and very cool, plus it supposedly is very easy to install. Even though I'm not OCing, I would like to run this sucker as cool as possible for the same of long term-reliability.

You're welcome.

I think you might be right about the RAM, especially since many of the programs I use are older 32 bit ones, and thus not really memory hogs.

Well its not only that. With older versions of Windows, the OS wasn't very good at "giving you back" the memory it didn't need any more. Windows Vista and 7 are better at freeing up the resources its finished using.

Any reason why you recommend that G.Skill brand over the Corsair? Also, why do these memory modules need such aggressive names! "Vengeance", "Ripjaw X", "Viper Xtreme"- shopping for memory is going to give me nightmares! Also I see that the DDR 1600 Ripjaw X speed memory is actually cheaper than the 1333 ones due to a rebate at the moment.
LOL, its a marketing gimmick, nothing more. I never thought of it that way, but you're right, they are very angry names. I haven't decided what my Corsair Vengeance modules are avenging, but they pair very nice with my SABERTOOTH! I'm quite ready to take on the world with my Phenominal Phenom II (the 2 of course is added for additinal coolness), not like that pretentious lower case "i" that Apple is responsible for starting!

No real reason I recommended G.Skill over Corsair other than price. Equivalent Corsair modules at least that I've seen are a few dollars more. Really both are great choices, its pretty hard to screw up RAM.

As far as the memory speed, the speed is actually the highest number the manufacturer guarantees the RAM to run stable at. It can be overclocked with Intel CPUs via "Extreme memory profile", but by default 1600mhz RAM is going to run at 1333mhz. Theres really no measurable difference between RAM running at 1333mhz or 1600mhz either way however. I'd get whichever is cheaper.

As for the heatsink, I read a comment on the newegg feedback that motherboard wasn't holding up a heavier heatsink very well (212 EVO), in fact it was tearing out the CPU socket from the motherboard PCB.

Well, I haven't seen anything about that. But, I'd keep in mind, and relay my experience at working at an Autozone once upon of time that not everyone who buys "Do-it-yourself" products is actually competent to work with them. People tighten the hell out of the CPU mounting screws, jerk the cooler around and when it ruins the board, somehow thats all Gigabyte and CoolerMaster's fault. lol

If that is the case however, then I'd consider it to be a problem with the quality of the motherboard itself, not the heavy cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

This is an equivalent motherboard in terms of features that Tom's Hardware gave a seal of approval. I honestly question Gigabyte motherboards quality anyway. I didn't say anything because I didn't see any serious concern with that particular model when I glanced at it.

As far as the Noctua cooler, its also insanely expensive for what it is. For that price you could almost get one of the behemoth Noctua D14s which are about as hardcore as you can get for air cooling. As far as the CPU staying cool with the stock cooler, honestly it is sufficient. Although your concern for noise may be justified, as stock coolers do tend to be louder.

shadyj

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Thanks for the reply again. I will look closer at that Gigabyte motherboard and read some threads about it. I was thinking it could be user error with that one complaint, because I haven't heard that complaint elsewhere. Personally I have had success with Gigabyte MBs in the past so I have no aversion to sticking with them. I think you have talked me into getting 8 gigs of RAM instead of 16. Thanks!