Change Background

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

My computer was redone to work on my company's network. They installed a
background I cannot change, desktop properties browse is grayed out. I tried
selecting a picture and setting is as a background and it did not work
either. Any suggestions?

Doc wrote:
> My computer was redone to work on my company's network. They
> installed a background I cannot change, desktop properties browse is
> grayed out. I tried selecting a picture and setting is as a
> background and it did not work either. Any suggestions?

Of course it didn't! Your company has used group policies on the network
side to restrict what you, as a user, can alter. The only one who can make
the alterations is the network admin. What's so terrible about the
background that you need to change it? Is it really that important? Surely
you're meant to be working, not worrying about the decor?

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I own the laptop not the company. It is a matter of ownership. The company
has a right to set it to operate on their network, but the background is
not required in order for the network to function and the background is still
there when I am not on the network. And yes it is offensive. As for your
productivity suggestion, I am a consultant brought in from the field to fix
the problems caused by administrators not being productive. My work day
starts at 7AM and goes to 9PM with shorter days on Saturday and Sunday. Your
comment is unwarrented and does not speak to the issue I brought to the
forum. You could answer more questions if you spoke to the issues and
stopped the editorializing. But, thank you for the reply.

"Doc" <Doc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer was redone to work on my company's network. They
> installed a
> background I cannot change, desktop properties browse is grayed out.
> I tried
> selecting a picture and setting is as a background and it did not work
> either. Any suggestions?

Make a Registry Edit

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
or
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
In the right-hand pane, delete "NoChangingWallPaper" or change the value
to 0.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
In the right-hand pane, delete "Wallpaper" and "WallpaperStyle".

--
William

That will only work transiently depending on the policy push when connecting
back to the domain. And that's if regedit hasn't been disabled. ;-)

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Doc" <Doc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My computer was redone to work on my company's network. They installed a
>> background I cannot change, desktop properties browse is grayed out. I
>> tried
>> selecting a picture and setting is as a background and it did not work
>> either. Any suggestions?
>

> Make a Registry Edit
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
> or
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
> In the right-hand pane, delete "NoChangingWallPaper" or change the value
> to 0.
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> In the right-hand pane, delete "Wallpaper" and "WallpaperStyle".
>
> --
> William

Talk to the network admins. They're pushing policy on you when you connect
to the domain, there's nothing you can do on your own unless they've left
the hole mentioned down thread. Generally though if wallpaper is being
locked down, then the ability to alter the policy that disables that change
has also been disabled.

There are legitimate security reasons why customizing backgrounds should be
inhibited. Whenever you connect to a domain it is the responsibility of the
network admins to protect the enterprise LAN and data using whatever
policies they choose to dictate. You'll also notice, if they're any good at
their job, that you now have some restrictions placed on running some
things.

Your other option is get them to issue you hardware and give control of your
hardware back to you.

--

>I own the laptop not the company. It is a matter of ownership. The
>company
> has a right to set it to operate on their network, but the background is
> not required in order for the network to function and the background is
> still
> there when I am not on the network. And yes it is offensive. As for your
> productivity suggestion, I am a consultant brought in from the field to
> fix
> the problems caused by administrators not being productive. My work day
> starts at 7AM and goes to 9PM with shorter days on Saturday and Sunday.
> Your
> comment is unwarrented and does not speak to the issue I brought to the
> forum. You could answer more questions if you spoke to the issues and
> stopped the editorializing. But, thank you for the reply.
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
>
>> Doc wrote:
>> > My computer was redone to work on my company's network. They
>> > installed a background I cannot change, desktop properties browse is
>> > grayed out. I tried selecting a picture and setting is as a
>> > background and it did not work either. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Of course it didn't! Your company has used group policies on the network
>> side to restrict what you, as a user, can alter. The only one who can
>> make
>> the alterations is the network admin. What's so terrible about the
>> background that you need to change it? Is it really that important?
>> Surely
>> you're meant to be working, not worrying about the decor?
>>
>> --
>> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Hello Doc,

Really appreciate Doc for curiosity in knowing something restricted/banned.
Curiosity is the source of learning something new and this is source of
knowing many hidden funda's of windows. If you really start two think why
not, finally you will be landed with good underground knowledge.
I'm bit curiosity about Windows security, let say..where windows passwords
has been stored and how ?
this was my first breaking point to me when I start using windows.

Now as of this today, I can play with windows, recover,customize in amazing
way , security my own policies etc... finally I mastered (POWER USER) of
windows..right.

Yes,coming to your question,
As miss Perspicacia Tick said, its group policies. But still I guess you can
override. In windows > system32>
search for *.cpl (cpl - control panel files)...in search include hidden
files also. If you don't have this file, copy from some other PC and launch
it by double click. Obviously you will get the Desktop properties, then you
can play whatever you want.

File name : desk.cpl

[ lot of cpl files will be there in system32 folder, double click and check
their functionality ]

hope i have answered...If not eager to hear if someone knows...

Maheshkumar.R
http://spaces.msn.com/members/cyberiafreak

"Doc" <Doc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I own the laptop not the company. It is a matter of ownership. The
company
> has a right to set it to operate on their network, but the background is
> not required in order for the network to function and the background is
still
> there when I am not on the network. And yes it is offensive. As for your
> productivity suggestion, I am a consultant brought in from the field to
fix
> the problems caused by administrators not being productive. My work day
> starts at 7AM and goes to 9PM with shorter days on Saturday and Sunday.
Your
> comment is unwarrented and does not speak to the issue I brought to the
> forum. You could answer more questions if you spoke to the issues and
> stopped the editorializing. But, thank you for the reply.
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
>
> > Doc wrote:
> > > My computer was redone to work on my company's network. They
> > > installed a background I cannot change, desktop properties browse is
> > > grayed out. I tried selecting a picture and setting is as a
> > > background and it did not work either. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Of course it didn't! Your company has used group policies on the network
> > side to restrict what you, as a user, can alter. The only one who can
make
> > the alterations is the network admin. What's so terrible about the
> > background that you need to change it? Is it really that important?
Surely
> > you're meant to be working, not worrying about the decor?
> >
> > --
> > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Thanks for the tip, I did the search. I have two desk.cpf, 1 is in
servicepackuninstall and the other is in system 32. I must be able to
override it since it is still on my computer when it is not on the company
network. miss Perspicacia Tick did not understand this. Your comment is to
double click Desk in system32. I just want to make sure it is the right one.

Thanks
Doc

"~Maheshkumar.R" wrote:

> Hello Doc,
>
> Really appreciate Doc for curiosity in knowing something restricted/banned.
> Curiosity is the source of learning something new and this is source of
> knowing many hidden funda's of windows. If you really start two think why
> not, finally you will be landed with good underground knowledge.
> I'm bit curiosity about Windows security, let say..where windows passwords
> has been stored and how ?
> this was my first breaking point to me when I start using windows.
>
> Now as of this today, I can play with windows, recover,customize in amazing
> way , security my own policies etc... finally I mastered (POWER USER) of
> windows..right.
>
> Yes,coming to your question,
> As miss Perspicacia Tick said, its group policies. But still I guess you can
> override. In windows > system32>
> search for *.cpl (cpl - control panel files)...in search include hidden
> files also. If you don't have this file, copy from some other PC and launch
> it by double click. Obviously you will get the Desktop properties, then you
> can play whatever you want.
>
> File name : desk.cpl
>
> [ lot of cpl files will be there in system32 folder, double click and check
> their functionality ]
>
> hope i have answered...If not eager to hear if someone knows...
>
> Maheshkumar.R
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/cyberiafreak
>

> "Doc" <Doc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I own the laptop not the company. It is a matter of ownership. The
> company
> > has a right to set it to operate on their network, but the background is
> > not required in order for the network to function and the background is
> still
> > there when I am not on the network. And yes it is offensive. As for your
> > productivity suggestion, I am a consultant brought in from the field to
> fix
> > the problems caused by administrators not being productive. My work day
> > starts at 7AM and goes to 9PM with shorter days on Saturday and Sunday.
> Your
> > comment is unwarrented and does not speak to the issue I brought to the
> > forum. You could answer more questions if you spoke to the issues and
> > stopped the editorializing. But, thank you for the reply.

> > > Of course it didn't! Your company has used group policies on the network
> > > side to restrict what you, as a user, can alter. The only one who can
> make
> > > the alterations is the network admin. What's so terrible about the
> > > background that you need to change it? Is it really that important?
> Surely
> > > you're meant to be working, not worrying about the decor?
> > >
> > > --
> > > In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

Try GPEDIT.MSC

Go to User Configuration and then Administrative Templates and then Desktop.
Try setting Not Configured as the option for the various settings. Sometimes,
this works; sometimes, it doesn't.

Also try Tweak Manager from regedit.com.