Sign in with
Your question

Computer beeps upon startup, does not display.

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2012 1:49:55 AM

Hi, I am building a computer, and whenever I turn on the power, it continuously beeps and does not display anything on the monitor. This is a brand new build, so i have not successfully ever started up with it. Any ideas what the problem is/ how to fix it? Edit, copied from lower post: Ok, heres where I'm at now: RAM, Mobo, Disk Drive, GPU, CPU, and heatsink/fan are all hooked up, and I'm certain they are in correctly. The HDD still hasent been installed. I noticed that on the CPU where the latch locks it into place, a scar has been created, showing kind of a copper scratch. Could this be my problem? Other than that, I can't think of anything besides a fried mobo. Also, is it even possible for the motherboard to be fried if it is beeping? Thanks!
August 1, 2012 2:21:31 AM

The beeps are telling you what is wrong. The manual should have a beep code somewhere in it, explaining what different beep patterns mean. What is the mobo and what pattern does it beep out?
m
l
August 1, 2012 2:58:11 AM

Heres some more info: beeps are continuos, as far as i can tell they dont stop until I power off, constant high pitched beeps. mobo is a Biostar H61. I have tried removing and replacing the RAM after lightly blowing on it to no avail. The manual dosent have a beep code as far as I can tell.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2012 3:06:37 AM

I had a problem like this before i think it was somthing about the graphics card not being plugged in enough so double chekc all your connections and reconnect the ram and gpu
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:08:06 AM

How many sticks of ram are you using? Are they in the right spaces? Someone else reported a similar issue when the ram was installed in the incorrect slot.
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:08:17 AM

I'm sure the RAM is in correctly, I have 2 x 4 GB sticks in now.
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:09:42 AM

If the RAM is not the problem, is it possible that it is a faulty processor?
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:13:00 AM

Have you tried booting with just one stick of ram? Try both individually in the main slot.

It sounds like a pain, but another thing you can try is to pull out the CPU, GPU, unplug all of the SATA and power cables and re-connect them. A loose connection somewhere could be causing the issue.

As to it being a faulty CPU it is possible, but it could also be a dead GPU or a bad mobo too.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2012 4:22:08 AM

Again like i said the problem could be the gpu and other plugs not fully plugged in or plugged in incorrectly I helped someone figure that out once just be sure to try it and report back
m
l
August 1, 2012 4:57:50 AM

Ok, heres where I'm at now: RAM, Mobo, Disk Drive, GPU, CPU, and heatsink/fan are all hooked up, and I'm certain they are in correctly. The HDD still hasent been installed. I noticed that on the CPU where the latch locks it into place, a scar has been created, showing kind of a copper scratch. Could this be my problem? Other than that, I can't think of anything besides a fried mobo. Also, is it even possible for the motherboard to be fried if it is beeping? Thanks!
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:06:12 AM

It is possible that a slot is damaged, like where the RAM goes, but that is more rare then perhaps you having a dead RAM stick. Have you tried using just one RAM stick, and if the same, trying the other?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2012 5:07:44 AM

and you pulled the gpu out and put it back in again? also where is this scratch?
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:22:27 AM

Yes, i tried reinstalling the GPU, still no luck. if you look at this picture: http://tinyurl.com/cowxt97, imagine holding the processor so that you could read the "1862" at the bottom. The scratch is on the left tab/ thing that sticks out above the green surface (it is the silver metal though).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2012 5:25:22 AM

if it is on the chip its self then you have a fucked up cpu my friends... if not then I am out of ideas... I dont think tha t is is the mobo, do the fans on you gpu and cpu start to spin?
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:27:36 AM

The fans on the cpu spin, but i dont think the ones on the GPU spin. Is there another GPU cable besides the PCI-E that I need to plug in to a Radeon HD 6850?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2012 5:30:10 AM

we have the same graphics card... No you only need to plug one pci-e plug from the psu to the back of the card
m
l
August 1, 2012 5:31:42 AM

So, the only thing it could be is faulty RAM i guess?
m
l
!