Computer beeps upon startup, does not display.

Hi, I am building a computer, and whenever I turn on the power, it continuously beeps and does not display anything on the monitor. This is a brand new build, so i have not successfully ever started up with it. Any ideas what the problem is/ how to fix it? Edit, copied from lower post: Ok, heres where I'm at now: RAM, Mobo, Disk Drive, GPU, CPU, and heatsink/fan are all hooked up, and I'm certain they are in correctly. The HDD still hasent been installed. I noticed that on the CPU where the latch locks it into place, a scar has been created, showing kind of a copper scratch. Could this be my problem? Other than that, I can't think of anything besides a fried mobo. Also, is it even possible for the motherboard to be fried if it is beeping? Thanks!
20 answers Last reply
More about computer beeps startup display
  1. The beeps are telling you what is wrong. The manual should have a beep code somewhere in it, explaining what different beep patterns mean. What is the mobo and what pattern does it beep out?
  2. Heres some more info: beeps are continuos, as far as i can tell they dont stop until I power off, constant high pitched beeps. mobo is a Biostar H61. I have tried removing and replacing the RAM after lightly blowing on it to no avail. The manual dosent have a beep code as far as I can tell.
  3. I had a problem like this before i think it was somthing about the graphics card not being plugged in enough so double chekc all your connections and reconnect the ram and gpu
  4. How many sticks of ram are you using? Are they in the right spaces? Someone else reported a similar issue when the ram was installed in the incorrect slot.
  5. I'm sure the RAM is in correctly, I have 2 x 4 GB sticks in now.
  6. If the RAM is not the problem, is it possible that it is a faulty processor?
  7. scout_03 said:
    section 4.4 of motherboard user manual http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=525

When I went to the beep codes, the largest that they had was 8 beeps. Mine is continuously beeping.
  8. Have you tried booting with just one stick of ram? Try both individually in the main slot.

It sounds like a pain, but another thing you can try is to pull out the CPU, GPU, unplug all of the SATA and power cables and re-connect them. A loose connection somewhere could be causing the issue.

As to it being a faulty CPU it is possible, but it could also be a dead GPU or a bad mobo too.
  9. Again like i said the problem could be the gpu and other plugs not fully plugged in or plugged in incorrectly I helped someone figure that out once just be sure to try it and report back
  10. Ok, heres where I'm at now: RAM, Mobo, Disk Drive, GPU, CPU, and heatsink/fan are all hooked up, and I'm certain they are in correctly. The HDD still hasent been installed. I noticed that on the CPU where the latch locks it into place, a scar has been created, showing kind of a copper scratch. Could this be my problem? Other than that, I can't think of anything besides a fried mobo. Also, is it even possible for the motherboard to be fried if it is beeping? Thanks!
  11. It is possible that a slot is damaged, like where the RAM goes, but that is more rare then perhaps you having a dead RAM stick. Have you tried using just one RAM stick, and if the same, trying the other?
  12. and you pulled the gpu out and put it back in again? also where is this scratch?
  13. Yes, i tried reinstalling the GPU, still no luck. if you look at this picture: http://tinyurl.com/cowxt97, imagine holding the processor so that you could read the "1862" at the bottom. The scratch is on the left tab/ thing that sticks out above the green surface (it is the silver metal though).
  14. if it is on the chip its self then you have a fucked up cpu my friends... if not then I am out of ideas... I dont think tha t is is the mobo, do the fans on you gpu and cpu start to spin?
  15. The fans on the cpu spin, but i dont think the ones on the GPU spin. Is there another GPU cable besides the PCI-E that I need to plug in to a Radeon HD 6850?
  16. we have the same graphics card... No you only need to plug one pci-e plug from the psu to the back of the card
  17. So, the only thing it could be is faulty RAM i guess?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems Displays