Is my graphics card broken?

G

Hello,

I recently built my first computer inc. (most importantly) a 650W PSU & 8GB of RAM.
Without my graphics card installed, all is well. I get the healthy beeps and I can enter the BIOS. I checked everything and it's all good, all ram recognized with the right freq etc.
Then I put in my graphics card. But now my I/O connectors don't get any signal - which might be normal with a GPU installed but as it's my first build I'm not sure if a GPU is suppposed to void the signal of the mobo's display connectors - so I plug in my hdmi cable into the GPU (R7850) and then into my tv (not monitor as it's old and only has VGA connectors which my graphics card does not have). I turn on, GPU fan and rest of fans spin & I get the mobo splash screen, but when I press any key to enter any of the options (BIOS, sys info, etc) I'm left with a blank, black screen, not 'no signal' just a black screen, I've tried the two different PCIE slots but it's the same with both.
I take the GPU out, and use the mobo I/O connectors and I can enter the BIOS again no problem.
Oh and I forgot to mention, After I press Del to enter the bios on my TV a little bar comes up that says 'DVI1' Even though I'm using an HDMI cable and the DVI connector on my GPU is not in use. Only including as might be relevant.

What are my options to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

G

Apologies,

CPU - Core i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz 30 degree temp in BIOS
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
RAM - 8GB corsair vengeance L.P, Dual channel DDR3
GPU - XFX R7850 Core
Arctic freezer i30 CPU air cooler - spins fine
HX650W Corsair PSU - All connectors checked to be fully inserted
DVD/RW optical drive
No kind of Hard drive/SSD plugged in as of yet.
No OS installed as of yet
No extras like a sound card either.
All housed in a Bitfenix Shinobi

richard694000

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
In your bios make sure its set to boot from pcie first which is peg in your bios under Init Display First. And if your not going to use internal graphics at all disable it.

G

Just did what you said, then after I turned it back on the pc powered on for a few seconds, then powered off, powered on, powered off. Pressed the power button on the case, kept doing it. So I flicked the PSU on and off. Now my computer wont even turn on.
Needless to say, I'm raging pretty hard right now.

G

Tried again after a few minutes and It's all good again, gonna see if that bios change has helped, thanks.

G

Nope, even with internal graphics disabled with PCI as boot I'm getting the same, just the splash screen and the subsequent boot drive message when you leave it, but when I try to enter bios it's just all black again.
Any other options?

G

Great, now when I try to get into the bios via mobo HDMI connector I don't even get the healthy beep or even a signal. Just "Beep, Beep-beep"
When the GPU is installed and the HDMI cable is in it it works I get healthy beeps, but I can't get into the bios through my GPU.
Wait, now I can't even get into the bios at all.
GPU out and clear CMOS time?

G

I said remove the physical card "7850" from the PC, enable on board GPU, see if the PC starts.

I didn't reply to your first message as I didn't follow it after it worked again. Was replying to richard's first message. Will do what you say now.

richard694000

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Its just a thought but if you have a dvi to vga adapter and can connect it to a monitor.Maybe your tv cant Handel the display out put of the video card. Just a guess but i know my Phillips 47 inch did that to me a couple times

G

At first I thought that, I should have waited until my new monitor got here.

G

Still not working. Can't enable on board GPU as I can't enter the bios in any way.
Well, here's what I'm gonna do.
I'm leaving it until my new monitor gets here, then, if it doesn't work with that I'm resetting the CMOS and re-doing what has already been said.
If that fails, I'll get a new graphics card.
Thanks for your time and help everyone, even though I'm now in a worse position than I started in, lol.

G

Seems like a RAM issue, or the PSU has gone bad.

Possibly, if my guess that the BIOS brand of my motherboard is AWARD is true, then my beep code means a video issue, most likely from my disabling of onboard graphics.

This whole debacle is sods law at it's finest.