toxis142

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Greetings everyone,

I have looked over many different threads regarding the same issue and have tried many of the suggested things to try and have yet to find anything that works.

I built my new system in three stages, Stage 1: motherboard, CPU, RAM, Power supply. Stage 2: Video card and water cooling system. Stage 3: addition of two SSD's

Everything worked fine and I logged many hours playing Diablo and other games after I built stage 1. After I finished stage 2 everything was fine for a week or two before I started experiencing the random freezing. I had assumed it was hard drive related and didn't worry about it because I was going to order 2 SSD's and hoped that would resolve this issue.

While using my PC whether i'm playing a game or browsing the internet my PC will randomly freeze, if there was any sound playing it stops when the pc freezes.

I have run memtest86+ overnight with no errors found, I have also moved the two sticks to other slots, 1 stick at a time and ran memtest at each of these times and no errors.

I had originally had the random freezing on my 2 or 3 year old 1TB WD drive and chalked it up to a failing hard drive and didn't worry about it as I had already ordered 2 SSD's. I still had issues with the random freezing after I had installed windows 7 on my new SSD's so I decided that maybe I had a bad driver or something I had installed was causing the issue. I have reinstalled windows 7 again and this time I have only installed the video driver and google chrome and a few diagnostic tools (most found on intel's website)

This PC is not overclocked at all, the RAM timings needed to be adjusted in the bios to their rated speed but other than that I haven't tweaked any of the settings.

I have been running my PC in safe mode with networking for the last 3 or 4 days and have not encountered any random freezing.

One thing I have yet to try is to put my old video card back in the computer and see if I still encounter this issue, but as I have not encountered the random freezing in safe mode i'm leaning away the video card as the problem.

PC components
Intel i7-3930K
Intel DX79SI motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA GTX 580 FTW hydro copper 2
Corsair AX 1200
2 x Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW180A310 2.5
Western digital 2TB hard drive

Case and watercooling parts:
Cooler Master Haf X
DangerDen MC-TDX CPU block
DangerDen Monsoon Premium Reservoir
Laing D5 pump
360 Radiator

Thanks to any replies in advance. I would prefer avoiding anything to do with draining and/or taking apart my water loop but I will if absolutely necessary.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Also if you just installed your video driver, then you havent installed half of your drivers. SO with a incomplete installiation of Windows your computer probably wont perform right.

Also, to do this right you shouldnt have installed chrome or any third party software. Windows comes with PLENTY of diagnostic tools that typically do as good, if not better, job than any 3rd party option.

toxis142

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

The ram as I had previously stated is set to its rated timing and voltages.

As for the missing drivers , The only drivers missing after a fresh windows install are the drivers for my USB 3.0 ports, the driver for my gige port, and one other driver that I can't remember at this time. I have run this computer without these drivers after I built stage 1 and everything worked fine. I find it hard to believe that these missing drivers is causing my problem.

As for the Windows 7 diagnostic tools, I have been unable to locate these, which tools are you referring to?

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
First, you need a chipset driver, audio driver, networking driver, USB or memory card port, SATA controller, RAID controller, and you extra devices like webcams, wireless networking, keyboard and mouse, monitor... and oh yea your video card as well... If you dont install each of those then I, nor anyone, can guarentee you the best performance.

Also I know you set the timing, but you also said they needed to be adjusted. That tells me that they wernt right automaticly. If that is the case then the RAM is not supported by the motherboard.

toxis142

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Installed all of the drivers last night but didn't have enough time to see if I could reproduce the same issue.

I also noticed last night while on intel's download center that there was a BIOS update and checked the version of my BIOS and its current version is the version shipped with the board and there have been 7 or 8 updates since the original BIOS. Should I consider updating the BIOS?

toxis142

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Was surfing the web last night and while doing so my computer did freeze and need to be restarted before being usable again.

After that I updated the BIOS but haven't been able to reproduce the issue yet, will update later tonight if it happens again.