Sign in with
Your question

Not satisfied...

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2012 4:34:20 AM

So, I bought the parts to my new computer, they arrived today and me and my friend put it together.
Once everything was together we couldn't get the power button on the Z9 Plus to work and we couldn't really find anything online to help, so we found 2 connectors and plugged them in to each other and the button was working. The only problem is that I think the only reason the button is working is because the 2 plugs we connected were to start it via a short because pressing the power button again just resets it.
My only problem is that I'm really not satisfied with the job we did putting the computer together and I honestly really feel like just sending everything back, getting a whole new set of items, and putting it together by myself.
Anyone have any insight or advice to give me in this situation, because I am having really bad regret right now...

More about : satisfied

August 1, 2012 4:43:52 AM

it doesnt really help when we the readers dont know which "plug" it is because computers are full of different name wires.
August 1, 2012 4:49:54 AM

I'm assuming you mean the front panel headers, you can find which pin goes where by reading your motherboard manual.
Related resources
August 1, 2012 4:51:23 AM

I checked everything, at this point I just want to redo the build from the ground up and maybe get the case replaced.
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 4:58:34 AM

Everything likely shipped with documentation. The reason I say that is - this will help you identify wires,plugs,locations,etc.
Ok, so one or both of you started just guessing at what goes where? C`mon...
Anyway, for the most part, just start over. Have you checked out any guides as to DIY PC building? Or figured you could do this thing and not review manuals or guides? Seriously, manuals are provided to end users for how-to and explaination. So, for instance, get the motherboard manual and begin to identify locations, pinouts of headers, read the material provided. Then, if you have difficulty; you could post something in this forum and at least be able to communicate the issue.

Enjoy your new build. You will get it. Double check your work against the instructions, then and only then power on.
August 1, 2012 5:03:44 AM

I was prepared, and my friend who builds computers was helping me. It's just that it seemed like he went about the whole thing with little regard for my stuff. Hopefully If I do it all by myself I should be able to get everything working, if I can't then I don't know what I'll do...

Everything powers on, and the case button actually kind of works, but after it powers off it just powers back on again, like I said I think the 2 cables we plugged into eachother were just a way to get it turned on regardless of the power button
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:04:24 AM

Seems to early to begin replacing things. You haven`t even told us the problem. Well, at least not with any detail. So, the power switch doesn`t work right now? ok, probably going to want to be certain this build is even ready for power.
You could possibly use the reset switch as power, but please try to better explain some of the issues you`re having
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:07:19 AM

Take a moment and list some of the components you`re using.
August 1, 2012 5:16:39 AM

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
August 1, 2012 5:20:22 AM

It all powers up fine, and I even installed Windows on it, it's just that the power switch doesn't work as intended. I can power it on by either using the power switch on the mobo or connecting 2 cables behind the front cover which I assume just causes it to turn on via a short because if I press the power button to turn the computer off it just turns off and turns back on again.
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:20:51 AM

Alright, seems you`ll be really happy with this build based on those specs. Have you found in the mainboard manual the pinout for the front header? You could simply have a couple plugs in wrong location.
You said, everything works. So, is windows installed? I mean to what point is the build complete?
August 1, 2012 5:23:48 AM

Everything is in their and situated, and windows is completely installed. The pins connecting the front module to the mobo are all in the right place but I can't really get to the back of the front module to check the connections there
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:25:55 AM

sounds like reset connector is on the power pins. So, a couple wires have been pulled from the power button? and when you touch them together, machine powers up and all is well
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:27:32 AM

and this guy builds computers and decided to disable a switch to just hot wire it. hmm...
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:28:40 AM

well, anyway double check those connectors. I know they`re small and it is hard to read the printing on mobo, but that`s why you have a drawing in the book. make sure they`re all where they need to be
August 1, 2012 5:29:58 AM

the 2 cables we plugged in to get it started actually had "ends" on them
August 1, 2012 5:32:50 AM

when I flip the power switch on the power supply it just turns right on, currently.
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:33:54 AM

ok, I still think that the reset and power connectors are swapped on the mobo header. You said two wires behind front case cover need touched together to start computer. Normally those two wires would be on a switch - much more user friendly. Then, if you press the existing power switch on the front of case the machine restarts - hence it is on the reset pin not power. check that header
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:37:36 AM

Yea, send it all back - you`re screwed!
August 1, 2012 5:43:26 AM

Alright so, in all my infinite wisdom found out you could remove the front panel and behind such panel I found out that the case does not actually come with the power switch plugged in, so it turns out the 2 cables we plugged in to short it had counterparts that still needed to be plugged in to the button on the front.
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:46:32 AM

Bet you`re getting close now.
August 1, 2012 5:47:15 AM

Ever have those days where you have really high expectations and everything falls apart and you get really really frustrated, but you keep on persevering and everything turns out alright in the end :) 

I still think I'll go back and rebuild it in a month because after figuring out how it all fits together I now know what to do to get optimal cable management.

Thank you Just4Today :D 
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:47:53 AM

So, these plugs you just found, do they have any printed labeling on them?
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 5:50:25 AM

Whoa! you`re gettin` good. Cable management is much preferred. This allows for a cleaner, neater look in the case, as well as increased airflow.

Enjoy!
August 1, 2012 5:54:43 AM

Yeah, it just happened that with the mobo and the case that some cables have to be put around the back before the mobo goes in or else you're screwed and they have to cross through the middle of the case until I want to go back and redo everything :|
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 6:04:59 AM

I`m glad I could help get you going and dig in on your own build. After connecting front panel connectors to mainboard, you should be alright. Just take your time and double check they`re all plugged into the right location.

August 1, 2012 6:32:02 AM

Now I just have to copy the ASRock driver dvd onto a flash drive in order to get the ethernet drivers T_T
Anonymous
August 1, 2012 6:49:42 AM

oh, no dvd drive yet? Well, once you`re online go after all your drivers from ASRock and get Catalyst 12.7 for your 7850.

August 1, 2012 6:58:04 AM

Didn't feel like getting a DVD drive, aside from the initial installs I almost never use one
!