I'd like to create my own folder template for my mp3 file folders. Instead
of using the standard music folder template, I'd like to set it up so all
music folders are displayed as "details" and choose which info is displayed
(file name, size, bit rate, etc)

Anybody know how to do this? I've tried the "knowledge base" and got no
answers.

Thanks.

Hi,

You might want to dig in here for some help:

Serenity Macros by David Candy
http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"spamboy" <spam@xrayzebra.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to create my own folder template for my mp3 file folders. Instead of using the standard
> music folder template, I'd like to set it up so all music folders are displayed as "details" and
> choose which info is displayed (file name, size, bit rate, etc)
>
> Anybody know how to do this? I've tried the "knowledge base" and got no answers.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

I have my MP3 folder just as you describe and I didn't need to do anything
special, just delete the "desktop.ini" and "thumbs.db" files if present,
then click the folder view icon (one of the buttons that has a small arrow
down to the right of it) to select detail view and finally right click the
column headings to add things like "Artist" etc. You can drag the columns
left or right to resize or re-order.

Andy

Hi,

It sounds like you're describing a fix for the problem I'm having, but I'm
afraid I just can't figure out how to implement it. My mp3 folders used to
display a number of details that I wanted, e.g., artist, album title, track
number, etc., and when I went into "Choose Details" there was a long list of
details that I could select or de-select for display. Now, for some unknown
reason, the only details I can choose from are Name, Size, Type, Date
Created, Modified, & Accessed, Attributes and Status - all of the other
details I used to choose from are gone, and I can't figure out how to bring
them back.

Your post mentions the "artist" column heading, which is why I think you're
describing a fix for my situation, but I don't know where the 'desktop.ini"
and "thumbs.db" files might be, and I don't see anything like the folder view
icon with the small arrow that you describe. I apologize for imposing on
your time, but if you could break this down for me I'd really appreciate it.
I've wasted all afternoon trying to figure this out, and I'm reaching maximum
frustration.

Thanks for your help.

Dana

"Andrew Bailey" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have my MP3 folder just as you describe and I didn't need to do anything
> special, just delete the "desktop.ini" and "thumbs.db" files if present,
> then click the folder view icon (one of the buttons that has a small arrow
> down to the right of it) to select detail view and finally right click the
> column headings to add things like "Artist" etc. You can drag the columns
> left or right to resize or re-order.
>
> Andy

Hi Dana,

Clicking on view > choose details... should present you with a list of 'headers'. You can select the
ones that you want.

--

"Dana Miles" <Dana Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you're describing a fix for the problem I'm having, but I'm
> afraid I just can't figure out how to implement it. My mp3 folders used to
> display a number of details that I wanted, e.g., artist, album title, track
> number, etc., and when I went into "Choose Details" there was a long list of
> details that I could select or de-select for display. Now, for some unknown
> reason, the only details I can choose from are Name, Size, Type, Date
> Created, Modified, & Accessed, Attributes and Status - all of the other
> details I used to choose from are gone, and I can't figure out how to bring
> them back.
>
> Your post mentions the "artist" column heading, which is why I think you're
> describing a fix for my situation, but I don't know where the 'desktop.ini"
> and "thumbs.db" files might be, and I don't see anything like the folder view
> icon with the small arrow that you describe. I apologize for imposing on
> your time, but if you could break this down for me I'd really appreciate it.
> I've wasted all afternoon trying to figure this out, and I'm reaching maximum
> frustration.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Dana
>
> "Andrew Bailey" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have my MP3 folder just as you describe and I didn't need to do anything
>> special, just delete the "desktop.ini" and "thumbs.db" files if present,
>> then click the folder view icon (one of the buttons that has a small arrow
>> down to the right of it) to select detail view and finally right click the
>> column headings to add things like "Artist" etc. You can drag the columns
>> left or right to resize or re-order.
>>
>> Andy

Hi Anando,

Yes, it should, and in fact it used to do so. That's what's so frustrating
to me - it appears that something has modified my system so when I go into
"choose details" I only get the eight listed in my post (Name, Size, Type,
Date Created, Date Modified, Date Accessed, Attributes and Status) to choose
from; all the other ones that used to be available to me (artist, album,
etc., etc.) are just not there. I have no idea how or when this modification
occured, it's just there. It looks like I've managed to find a problem no
one else has seen before, lucky me! Thanks, anyway.

Dana

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Dana,
>
> Clicking on view > choose details... should present you with a list of 'headers'. You can select the
> ones that you want.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Dana Miles" <Dana Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > It sounds like you're describing a fix for the problem I'm having, but I'm
> > afraid I just can't figure out how to implement it. My mp3 folders used to
> > display a number of details that I wanted, e.g., artist, album title, track
> > number, etc., and when I went into "Choose Details" there was a long list of
> > details that I could select or de-select for display. Now, for some unknown
> > reason, the only details I can choose from are Name, Size, Type, Date
> > Created, Modified, & Accessed, Attributes and Status - all of the other
> > details I used to choose from are gone, and I can't figure out how to bring
> > them back.
> >
> > Your post mentions the "artist" column heading, which is why I think you're
> > describing a fix for my situation, but I don't know where the 'desktop.ini"
> > and "thumbs.db" files might be, and I don't see anything like the folder view
> > icon with the small arrow that you describe. I apologize for imposing on
> > your time, but if you could break this down for me I'd really appreciate it.
> > I've wasted all afternoon trying to figure this out, and I'm reaching maximum
> > frustration.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Dana
> >
> > "Andrew Bailey" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have my MP3 folder just as you describe and I didn't need to do anything
> >> special, just delete the "desktop.ini" and "thumbs.db" files if present,
> >> then click the folder view icon (one of the buttons that has a small arrow
> >> down to the right of it) to select detail view and finally right click the
> >> column headings to add things like "Artist" etc. You can drag the columns
> >> left or right to resize or re-order.
> >>
> >> Andy

I am unable to shed any more light in this matter. Sorry and good luck !